Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climber Tree Stands

Boolit Grand Master

Climber Tree Stands

Been a long time since I’ve used a climber. Looking to get a good one to sit at the edge of my tree line to overlook a small field. I’ve looked at a few. I won’t be carrying it very far so weight is a secondary concern. I’m 6’ and 245# so want a decent sized one that will provide all day comfort. What’s everyone using?

Here is my opinion. Never used one myself. I like to get into a tree with a lot of cover to break up the human form. I mostly use a 14 foot ladder Made with EMT 1 1/4 tubing and bracket to the tree midway anchored solidly and I pull up a strap-on stand w/ thick padded seat and an arborist type climbing set-up. Should the stand ever give way and leave me hanging, I can lower my-self safely to the ground. As I climb the rope is pulled tight every step. If there is a misstep there is no slack, so no fall. At my elderly age I don't trust my grip strength completely or sometimes giddy feeling. Some people use a safety rope with no provision of lowering themselves should the stand fall from under them. May have to wait until someone comes along ,huh.
    You have to really be still or a deer could pick you out from across the field when using a climbing stand or be pretty high up in the tree. It seems you have experience with that already. Hey lots of good luck on your hunts.

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master

I am to the point it I can't use my climber I don't want to hunt out of that tree. I am 6' 4" and about 265. Most hunt with archery and muzzleloader. I have had a half dozen different brands. I have settled on Summit. I current have three summits. https://www.summitstands.com/treesta...ing-treestands

Two of these https://www.summitstands.com/summit-...ossyr-oak-camp

One of these. https://www.summitstands.com/summit-...ossy-oakr-camo
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-31-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

M-tecs, those are the exact ones I’ve been looking at. Which do you prefer and why?

Boolit Master
    I have used them for many, many years and several brands, different people, different needs/wants. We also use the 18' ladder stands and to be honest prefer the ladder with a cushion/pad. It is almost impossible to be quiet clanking around walking in and then going up in morning with climbers. Some we cable lock to base but still hard to not bang around getting lined up in the dark. Those eighty dollar ladders you walk to, climb up, lay ( ) across seat, hook backpack on corner, around and butt down. As apposed to rifle slung over neck, parts in each hand, clanking out to tree. Set up on tree, rope for rifle or bow, rope for backpack, up the tree then settling, hoisting all up and then getting settled. If you catch them on sale you can almost get three ladders for the price of a climber. If you go ladder one little safety tip post my ride to the ground. Initial set up, propped up, set center bar, ratchet strap tight center, entering up into third section to secure and it started leaning back and away we go. It appears I have been a good boy, hardware held and it just bent twisting around side of tree a little faster than slow motion. I am standing ninety degrees to side on both feet, rifle slung over neck. I do not recommend this as one of your hunting stories! We do learn though, tie a length of rope at top, wrap around back of tree, whip over seat and down front. One hand rope, one hand ladder, initial set up and removal, no more circus acts.

If the company still in business, "Tree Lounge" would be my pick. I fear heights but this thing let me go as high as the tree would allow with no qualms and it would climb a steel pole if needed. You can sleep in one with no chance of falling out and a pre-dawn to dark sit is not uncomfortable. I gave mine to a friend when I moved from KY to ND sa there are few climbing trees in my area.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    A large size friend of mine uses a Ole Man sit climber. It is plenty strong for his large rotunda.This brings back memories. Early seventies this new fangled tree climber hit our area and I bit.It was caalled a Baker Climber or something. I got it home and ran over to a electric pole to try it out, and about 16 feet up it went straight down. Lesson learned use a tree with plenty of bark.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned

I hunt out of tree stands whenever possible, but have never used a climber. We have a lot more trees in Kansas than people think, but they tend to be crooked and gnarly, so I always wondered how well a climber could work. Mostly I use the chain on types and screw in tree steps, but setting those up and climbing into them is getting a little harder every year, might need to try something different.

Boolit Master

I know untold thousands of those things are used, and used without incident, every season but at the risk of being accused of being the safety police I personally know three people who have been seriously injured with them, one being an uncle who remained crippled due to the hip injury for the rest of his life. Two others were co-workers at the mine where I worked and one of them also incurred a permanent injury to his lower back, a fractured vertebrae. The third fractured his knee and although it required surgery to repair he seemed to recover.

The point is NOT that no one should use these things because they are too dangerous and that's not what I am saying but rather all I am saying is BE CAREFUL with them they will hurt you if given the chance! The fact that three of the relatively small number of people I personally know who use these things sustained serious injury with them just sticks with me and I can't help but wonder about the over-all safety record for them. Not saying don't use them but just be very cautious.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Banned

I used to not bother wearing a safety harness while in one, not anymore. I wear one and snap in before I start hauling rifle or anything else up. The stand I like the best is high in a locust tree and difficult to climb into (wasn't when I first started using that spot 12 years ago or so, wonder what happened), so I think I may need to look into one of these ascender deals that arrests falls while you climb up or down.

richhodg66, I was one of those brave/idiotic souls who never wore a safety anything until a friend of mine fell from a tree and broke his back, laid in the woods for almost 2 days, got pneumonia and died less than a week later in the hospital. A second friend fell off a platform and was a paraplegic for the last 15 or so yrs of his life. Tough way to learn a lesson. Now I use a ghillie suit and a camo directors chair. I was amazed at how still I could be when I am comfortable.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I have the Summit Viper but the Goliath is built the same with a little more room. https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/B1hjMLYfKoS.mp4 I've hunted/slept in many tree stands without a harness without issue in my younger days. My Viper came with a harness, it's easy to use and I've used it every time since. If your going to remain in the same place the $100 ladder stands also work well, if you want some extra room get a double/2 person. If your going to get a climber get out and practice with it. If you pick your tree out mark your settings so it's easy to repeat

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    I know untold thousands of those things are used, and used without incident, every season but at the risk of being accused of being the safety police I personally know three people who have been seriously injured with them, one being an uncle who remained crippled due to the hip injury for the rest of his life. Two others were co-workers at the mine where I worked and one of them also incurred a permanent injury to his lower back, a fractured vertebrae. The third fractured his knee and although it required surgery to repair he seemed to recover.

The point is NOT that no one should use these things because they are too dangerous and that's not what I am saying but rather all I am saying is BE CAREFUL with them they will hurt you if given the chance! The fact that three of the relatively small number of people I personally know who use these things sustained serious injury with them just sticks with me and I can't help but wonder about the over-all safety record for them. Not saying don't use them but just be very cautious.

I don’t feel you’re being safety police. I appreciate the concern for sure. I’ve used lock ones with socks you put together and strap to the tree. That still may be an option. I can lock the stand to the tree and take the sticks home with me. That is an option for sure.

Boolit Master
    I like this one with the backrest.
    https://www.buckshotmfg.com/buckshot-bigshot-ts.aspx

Looks as if we could use a lot of safety police with all these tragic stories. Worst thing I have been part of was when we were hunting close to Padre Island on a refuge. My 240 lb. friend had a miss-step broke an ankle. Two miles from the truck. Had a bicycle and he sat on it with me pushing holding on to the handle bars. It is pretty hard to keep the balance and push at the same time. We got out of there but not without me getting worn plum out. You can imagine how my friend was feeling. Yep the safety harness or belts are in dire need. I think a chunk of matter large or small falls to the ground at sixteen feet per second. It is the sudden stop.

If you are watching a field why not just sit on the ground. Use the existing cover and blend in. I use a light fold up chair, I'm 6'-2/200# and never bought a climber because our trees are gnarly as well. Be still, be quiet, use the wind and you can wear a Tuxedo and hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Buy a GOOD safety harness. I like the one's made into a vest. Put the harness around the tree IMMEDIATELY when you START to climb up it.
    All trees are not created equally. Ash and white oak trees allow a good grip on the bark. Shag bark hickories will not let the stand grip the tree well. Pick a healthy tree. You don't have to get super high if you can sit still. 12' is often plenty. A tree on the edge of a draw will give you the effect of a much taller tree. Use the clamp on straps when you get up the tree. Take your time and develop a checklist and routine for getting up the tree and getting set up. TAKE YOUR TIME. USE A PULL ROPE to get the gear and gun up to where you are sitting.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If you are watching a field why not just sit on the ground. Use the existing cover and blend in. I use a light fold up chair, I'm 6'-2/200# and never bought a climber because our trees are gnarly as well. Be still, be quiet, use the wind and you can wear a Tuxedo and hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Picking out a spot where you can do that is harder than it seems. The fields around here, which look remarkably flat until you try to cover one and then realize how many IV lines there are that make spots you can't see. Plant milo on it and you can forget it. It really helps to get off the ground, even if only six feet or so. My main places I like to hunt are in woods and I get pretty high up. You do need to be careful, too many guys don't take the danger of these seriously, but I haven't fallen out of one yet.

Boolit Master
    hunting in a high population area as is almost any where in pa you need a stand for advantage. I fell once but landed in a thick laurel type bush. The only climber I have now is a Loggy Bayou. Very light and and very safe for a climber. The company sold out because of law suits.If you ever see one for sale it would be worth a good look. Paid around 200 bucks for it and it was on sale back in 1985.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast