Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Beretta 45 Colt Stampede (SAA Clone) Cylinder throat question

Boolit Mold

Beretta 45 Colt Stampede (SAA Clone) Cylinder throat question

I have a Beretta Stampede in .45 Colt. I slugged the barrel and got .4480 groove diameter. I slugged the whole way thru and just the first 1 1/2 " of the barrel as I thought I might have had thread crush issues. For bore size a .4395 minus pin will slide the whole way thru and a .4400 minus pin will go up to 1/4" away from the forcing cone end. The cylinder chamber throats are .4545 all 6 cylinders and appear to have been honed. I bought the pistol used. The bore looks a little rough and had planned to fire lap it, which probably will take care of that last 1/4" mention above.

I also got with it .452 dia. and .454 Dia. soft lead boolits greased with SPG. I plan on using BP anyway.

IF I understand correctly should I be using .450 or .451 dia. boolits with the bore dimensions?

What issues, if any, will I have with the throats being .4545 Dia? If Iuse a boolit sized to .451 or use a jacketed boolit is that too much space in the throat?

Being that the groove dia. is .006 smaller than the .454 boolits, can I fire lap the barrel to .453 or is that too much to hope for? or even .451 for the .452 boolits?

Hope to get some guidance...Thanks!

Boolit Master
    I personally would size to .454" and not worry about it a bit. Ridding yourself of the constriction is a good move too.

Your dimensions are common to older Colt SAA revolvers, and from my understanding those dimensions were what the Italians copied when they produced many of their guns. I believe newer samples are said to have tighter throats. I have fired .006" over bore boolits with no issues whatsoever, lead is pretty forgiving stuff.

I have a beretta stampede in .45c. My throats were tight at .450-.451. I reamed them to .4525. I also had a small thread constriction which I fixed by shooting approx. 200 xtp’s through it. I shoot .452 bullets. The gun is accurate with no leading at all. It is one of my favorites.

Boolit Master
    If your listed barrel dimensions are accurate, I strongly suspect that you would have a smoothbore by the time you firelapped it to .453". I suggest that you slug your bore again, and have someone who uses a micrometer on a daily basis measure the slugs. It's very easy to distort lead slugs and get a false reading, especially if you don't use measuring tools regularly. A .448" groove diameter is quite small for a .45 barrel.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Mold
    I'm actually a machinist and use mic's and height gages on a daily bases holding +- .0002 daily. I'm sure the groove diameter is .4480. Being that you would have no idea what my job is what you said is fair advice. I guess I just have a barrel made with worn out tooling. Once I get the .440 pin to slide theu that would give me .004 depth of rifling and that sounds about right for a barrel. My main concern is the .4545 throat diameter and using .454 soft lead slugs vs .451 slugs.

Vendor Sponsor

I wouldn't use anything smaller than .454" you want a light drag fit in the throats.

I have a Uberti Old West with .451" barrel and .4565" throats and I shoot 454190 sized to .456" with SPG lube and it is a fly's worst nightmare at 10yds.

Soft lead and SPG lube should shoot quite well even with the barrel dimensions you list. The thing about a soft boolit, if there is enough pressure behind it, it will easily obturate to fill a changing bore as it travels. Boolits sized .451" may not shoot well at all unless they are quite soft, in which case pressure will bump them up upon firing and they will leave the cylinder at throat diameter, so you really aren't shooting .451" at all, you are shooting .4545" at that point. Harder .451" boolits will start degrading in performance rather quickly.

The groove diameter seems small to me. I have to use mostly .442" and .4425" pilots on most 45 caliber barrels, very seldom do I need one smaller than .4415" so that sorta reads a little odd in my experience. The pilot in the Brownell's forcing cone kit is .442" and I have only seen one or two times where I needed a .4415" pilot to recut a forcing cone.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 09-03-2018 at 02:01 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I've got a buddy who has never sold a gun in his life. Just holds on to anything & everything.
    Except for one. A Beretta Stampede.

We were unable to get it to group better than 8 inches at 21 feet. Tried every thing, he finally sent it back to Beretta. They sent him a new one. He put 5rds of Factory REMINGTON 255gr RN through it. No better then the first one. He sold it back to the Dealer. No wonder they stopped making them.
    Good Luck & Good Shooting.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

A beretta stampede is an uberti, and mine is superior to most of my Rugers. It is accurate and the fit and finish is great, and the blueing is better than any ruger I have ever seen.

Boolit Master

The 2 revolvers my friend had was not marked any where by UBERTI. The finish was no better or worse than any other Italian clone.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life