WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It’s either too hot or too cold to cast boolits depending on where you live

Boolit Master

It’s either too hot or too cold to cast boolits depending on where you live

I was just sitting here (Tampa FL) thinking that it’s funny that in the winter people up North say that they can’t wait for it to get warm enough to start casting, but I’m sitting here thinking that I can’t wait for to get cool enough.

I’ve run out of 452460 boolits but just can’t get myself to go out in the heat to cast. When I finally get the gumption to do it, a thunderstorm rolls in.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Consider a casting booth. Mine is about 36" wide, 48" tall and about 12" deep. There is a bathroom exhaust fan in the top, and aluminum flex hose to a plate that can be installed in a window. Too cold in the winter, set it up in an unheated room and allow for air entry as you run the exhaust fan. Too hot, set up in an air conditioned room.

Most of the year it is set up in an unheated shed and I just choose the time of day which gives best comfort. Summer is mornings. Spring and Fall is mostly afternoons. Just be sure to allow for air exchange so fresh air is being drawn into the front of the cabinet as the heat and fluxing fumes are drawn out of the cabinet. Be safe. Dusty
    Last edited by Dusty Bannister; 08-31-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    Nice idea
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    I cast under my carport. Like you, my 452460 is awaiting some work. I'm thinking my casting season will start in 2 - 3 weeks.

Boolit Master
    The weather forecast shows a high right around 90 everyday in Tampa right now. That doesn't bother me as long as I've got a fan blowing on me. I was casting in weather like that last week - 85+ degrees and 85% humidity. That's much better than 10 degrees. There have been times when I finished up up casting session and could barely walk because my feet and hamstrings felt like solid blocks of ice.

I'll admit I cheat and wear shorts and a T shirt when it's that hot.

Boolit Master
    its been in the 90s here but I got out about 10 the other night and cast 540 45 228grain and it wasn't to bad

Boolit Master
    It’s also hot in se Missouri 90 pluss every day. It’s also been raining every other day which is very unusual for this time of year. It usally starts raining a lot in late fall. It’s been to hot and humid to shoot or cast for me. When I was younger the heat didint bother me ,but now I guess i am getting soft. Have to use the ac or I don’t do much outside unless real early or late in the evening

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, I'm getting soft too. My MS makes me weaker when its really hot. Being retired, I cast most of what I need in the winter after hunting season is over. Me and a couple of buddies will set up on my work bench and cast once or twice a week. I'll spend the hotter days of July and August sizing and loading. I have enough brass to load batches that will last from year to year.

Too hot yes, too cold, never. The perfect time for casting to me would be a nice freezing day, but then I cast in my garage & we never have freezing temps here.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Usually too wet here,but its been too hot this summer .

Boolit Master
    I cast in my cellar a good 20 degrees cooler during the summer,winter most day's cellar is 55~60 degrees.

Boolit Master

Here in Flordia, either inside during the summer. Or outside during the winter. I prefer to smelt in the winter. If i have to smelt in the summer all safety precautions go out the window as I try to stay cool and not sweat to death.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I cast in my basement and cast year round.

Tends to be cooler in the summer 60-64 degrees. Cold air from the AC likes to make its way down the stairs.

Winter time furnace runs and cycles the air more. Probably runs 64-68 degrees.

I'm using a magnum melter and I sit well back, keep my nose away from it and I quit worrying about it years back. Everyone has to die from something.

I'll take my lead, butter, bacon and fried eggs thank you very much.

Boolit Grand Master

I cast year round in the garage. I open the front and back door, and with a fan, I get enough ventilation. I've cast from -10F up to 100F. In all honesty, I did start up the sunflower heater on the coldest days. Summer is much worse, no help there, just have to deal with the sweat. The only problem I had was on a windy winter day, my nozzle would freeze on the pot. I could have tried the ladle, but just called it a day. It rains or snows way too often to try casting outside, so I keep the setup in the garage now.

Boolit Master
    I haven't smelted in years, but when I do I prefer the fall. I cast when the urge hits me . I have a shed in the back yard, the front half or so is for my hobbies, the back half ( sorta ) is storage. I have a portable floor model A/C and an EdenPure heater,so i seldom get cold, but there are times that it still gets too hot, even if the A/C has been on for a while. This evening it was fairly cool in there. I had the A/C on, but the easiest way for me to tell is by the consistency of my can of JPW. If it's a bit cool the wax thickens up, if hot, it's runny and needs to be stirred to use it.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Never to cold i love the cold weather . I can breath a lot better in the cold. I try to cast enough to last the summer when its cold. Doesn't always work out 2 new guns of different calibers and had to do some in the heat . I usually start about 4 in the morning and stop around 8.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey come to Oklahoma, can be too hot today and too cold tomorrow. 50 degree swings are not uncommon here. I too prefer the cold. As i get older I can't tolerate the heat, but that little Lee 20# can get me comfortable if i'm out of the wind. Darn it I live in OK the wind always blows

Boolit Master

I used to work in an iron foundry, hot metal crane operators as a matter of fact, on one hot day I brought in a wall thermometer just to see how hot it was where I worked and within 10 minutes the bulb at the bottom blow out.
    I cast year round, some of guys are a bunch of wimps.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

I'm in Okieland too, like Oily. I cast (and render) year round. In the summer I don't early, start around 4 am, end whenever. In the winter, I usually wait until it's light outside and have at it.

Boolit Bub
    Living in Tampa also, I cast as needed . Have two large fans that keeps the air moving,and "skeeters " away. But now I have 12- 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights that need melted down and cleaned. That will have to wait till December .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast