Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: 30/20 boolit recommendations.

Boolit Buddy

30/20 boolit recommendations.

Hello all.
    I have a 14 inch MGM barrel for my T/C contender in 32/20 Winchester (30/20 it has a.308 diameter bore). I got this barrel with the intention of shooting cast bullets as a good low budget back yard plinker out to 100 yards. I have tried Lee boolits only so far since these are the molds I have on hand. They are .309 120gr RN - .309 150gr FN - .312 160gr R2 tl. I use a charge of 9.7 grs of IMR4227 on all boolits and I have seated them just far enough out so would a cri that the barrel closes freely and I do not crimp them. Since I wanted a very low cost bullet I tried them with out gas checks ( they are all GC style). All the boolits did not group to my satisfaction 2 1/2 to 3 inch groups at 50 yards with the .312 160 gr being the best. I then tried them with gas checks this tightened the group's up but I still would like to get better than 2 inch at 50 yards. I can get .75 inch group out of any 125-130 gr jacketed bullet I have tried. Would a crimp change my groupings. I have a Lyman 311140 mould on the way this is a 130gr sp boolit with a plain base I know gc's are only $35 per 1000 but this is another expensive.

Long story short do you have a favorite boolit / load that can get 1 inch at 50 and 2 inch at 100 yard groups. I tend to favor 4227 in most of my hand gun calibers but I'm open to try others. I have a source of free lead for now and I do enjoy pouring my own so if I can for go the price of gc's this is as low cost as rimfire plinking.

So please help with any advice. Thanks Mike

Boolit Master

Dunno how it might size down for a .308 groove dia. but I've had nothing but good from the classic Lyman 312008 (my mold drops 118 gr. from 50/50 COWW/Range Scrap). Powder-coated, sized .314, and loaded over 6.0 gr AA#5, this boolit essentially duplicates the original BP ballistics in both my 1885 Low Wall and my buddy's (modern) SAA. Low Wall has a Shaver tang sight with a Lyman 17A front and 1 1/2" 5-shot groups at 100 yds are the norm (if I do my part). Haven't shot his fixed-sight six-gun at anything past 25 yards but easy enough to hold 'minute-of-liter bottle' at that distance.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I once had a 30-20 Contender barrel. I also have several 32-20 revolvers and one rifle. The loads I had for the 32-20's were delightfully accurate. However, they were were mediocre in the 30-20 barrel (at best). This was with both jacketed and lead bullets. I decided not to load 30-20 cartridges, since I had so many 32-20's around. I got rid of the barrel. I would strongly recommend that you load 30-20's for a 30-20 barrel.

My favorite 30 cal bullet across the board is the little Lee .314 90 gr tumble lubed truncated cone.

Its worked in everything I have tried it in.

Sized to .311 for .30-30, and .300BO, as cast for 7.62x25, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r.
    Also as cast for .32sw long and soon for .32H&R Mag.

It just works. YMMV