Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 28 Guage?

Banned

28 Guage?

Cleaning up an estate and I have found a small truck load of casting and reloading items. There are lots of shotgun wads etc, mostly older cardboard.
    But there's a lot of 28 guage hulls and wads, mostly plastic.
    I hope to put most of it on Swap and Sell later this year.
    Question is demand for 28 Guage, and anything I should be looking for when sorting components

PLEASE, no offers to buy now.

Thanks
    Ken

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Grand Master
    I load 28 gauge, and have for 30+ years. 98% of 28 gauge shooting gets done by skeet shooters, and 98% of the 28 gauge components are centered upon the 2-3/4" shell and the wad columns that cater to the inside form of those shells, usually make-specific. The load is invariably 3/4 oz. of #9 shot. Ballistic Products has some boutique-level accessories for this gauge, enabling 1 oz. loadings to eke the 28 gauge into the 20 gauge realm or even the light 16 gauge arena for chukars and pheasants. I have 100 new Cheddite hulls and 250 wads specific to this application, but this is an aroundtuit I haven't got to yet.

The skeet loads of #9 have a very strange and wonderful pattern efficiency from any choke that is death on doves and quail to 35-40 yards. That is the only load I use in 28 gauge, and most users of the gauge follow that formula. FWIW.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I load 28 also and since my club has a non-toxic requirement with bio wads, well, I can either pay $13/box for factory or load it for less than $5/box.. I opt to load it. I an very interested in any 28 gauge hulls at the moment.

Boolit Master
    I've been shooting the 28 gauge for 30 plus years !

Mostly skeet but some on game birds .

I always liked the 28 gauge the best when shooting skeet and believe it or not the 28 gauge was the first gauge I ever went 100 straight in a registered skeet event .

I will say 75% of the 28 gauge shells I shot were shot in a tubed 12 gauge gun . I have however owned a few doubles that were actual 28 gauge guns . Had a very nice Winchester Model 23 Classic that I preserve hunted with for a few years . And at the moment I have a rather nice Browning Belgium Superposed skeet gun with 28" barrels .

As to hulls and wads I did the same with the 28 as I've done with anything I shoot often . I laid in a good supply of hulls and wads . Think I have about 6000 Remington STS 28 gauge hulls and a couple cases of Clay Buster wads . So as the saying says "I'm good to go!" for quite awhile !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Pressman: You shouldn't have any problems getting rid of any 28 ga. components.

The stuff will last on Swappin and Sellin about 2 minutes.

On trapshooters.com it all would be gone in one minute.

I bought my Browning Sporting Clays Edition in .410 off there one Saturday Morning and it had been up for a whole 7 minutes!

The same person put up and Identical gun in 28 ga and it sold in 1 minute! I would have bought both but got there too late for the 28.

28 ga is very popular with the more experienced shooters, and you gotta reload it unless you are rich. Same with .410's

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Glad to see other trapshooter.com-ers here.

Banned
    This is great for the information and the stories. I am not a shotgunner so it's all new and exciting.
    Ken

Boolit Master
    Most of the skeet shooters at my club use the Win HS hulls. They're not as tough as the old compression formed but that's all we can get these days. Rem STS is the second choice.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    Most of the skeet shooters at my club use the Win HS hulls. They're not as tough as the old compression formed but that's all we can get these days. Rem STS is the second choice.
    In central Virginia the picky sorts all seem to want the old AA hulls . There are many here that don’t want the HS hulls . Personally I’ll use any of the three old AA , HS or STS .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 09-02-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    My bottom line is that I'll shoot anything in a 28 I can get my hands on. For years I shot the old Rem ribbed green hulls. I consider them tougher than the HS.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    My bottom line is that I'll shoot anything in a 28 I can get my hands on. For years I shot the old Rem ribbed green hulls. I consider them tougher than the HS.
    I haven't tried these--I have the old-school W-W AA on hand (500+) and the Cheddite hulls still NIB. One down-side to the Rem green ribbed hulls in 3" 410--they won't hold crimps worth a darn. Winchester 3" Red hold crimps wonderfully for 5-6 refills.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

A 28 ga is magic. Hits like a 20 with 8-9 shot. The 20 gets the advantage when you drop to 6-7.5 ouncers for late season pheasants. Luv my 28 ga.

Boolit Master
    Another 28 ga fan here, at one point in the 80s, I owned 3 times as many 28ga guns as 12ga!
    Agree with others, you stuff will move quickly. But.... You could just buy yourself a 28 ga WIngmaster or RRL, just a thought
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

doubt you'll have the 28 gauge stuff long. It last as long a left handed stuff. trapshooters is a good place to market that.

Boolit Master
    Pressman before you list it on Trapshooters let the guys here have a chance at it. List it in the Swapping and Selling section.

Boolit Grand Master
    Interesting thread. I have decided to get rid of my 28 ga stuff. I love hunting with the XS Feather as it is so light and a great bird gun. Used 7/8 and 1oz loads.

I was going to put everything up at the local club, but will offer it here first as there seems to be some interest.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Wise choice Don, I have a ton of components from this estate and all of it will be here first.
    This thread has been very educational for me, another reason to list it here.

Just so you's guys know. I was originally on Trapshooters.com posting about .40 S&W when Don Verna told me about this place.

That was sometime back. Many thanks Don, Castboolits has accepted me into the fold even with all my opinions, and faults..

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Randy, far as I know this site is King of the Hill. I don't hang out on other sites.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast