Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Traveling with reloading components...

Boolit Buddy

Traveling with reloading components...

Not really sure where to post this question but here goes:

I am pulling a trailer across the western states in the next 60-90 days and will be taking 2-3 firearms with reloading equipment etc. I have a travel trailer and was planning on carrying all the gear in it. Does anybody else do this sort of thing (like CAS members?) and, if so, how do you safely & legally transport powder, both smokeless & black? Thanks for the input.

Boolit Master

On the road if propane is ok so should the BP and smokeless. Pay attention dragging campers as propane is banned from many roads (tunnels) etc.. State gun laws another story.

Boolit Master
    I remember ,don't remember where, that when you park your travel trailer disconnect it from your tow vehicle. Trailer by itself is your home and requires a search warrent to enter. A trailer attached to a tow vehicle is part of the tow vehicle and easier for police to search. That said if you travel in a reasonable manner in reasonable places you probably will have no trouble with the police. Have made several tripsfrom So Cal to the mid west with no trouble. Did not take reloading gear but did take several guns and ammo. Had fun and hunted a fair amount. Enjoy your trip

Boolit Master
    You only have to placard your load if you have over 100 lb of powder of any kind. Just don't get pilled over.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy

The US Department of Transportation allows only a small amount of smokeless powder in a private vehicle. I am not current on that amount, as it has been several years since I took the Haz Mat test, but not more than a few pounds. No one is permitted to drive over that amount of Hazardous Material without an endorsement on their drivers license. Not that you would, but a placard on any private vehicle or trailer will draw the attention of every state trooper that sees it. The fines are stiff, they make a speeding ticket look like a reward.
    Please, take no more Haz Mat than you absolutely must. Keep it in original container.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Buddy

OK, so specifically I was planning on the following:

Goex BP @ 2lbs
    Unique @ 2lbs
    Trail Boss @ 1lb
    5744 @ 1lb

Plus something in the neighborhood of 500 primers. Do you think I'm asking for trouble if I get pulled over?

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Buddy

OK, that is helpful. Thank you.

I am now wondering what is defined as a "shipping containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation". Anybody know that?

Boolit Master

the powder and primers just need to be in a container that will vent and not explode. ammo cans will contain so they are a no no, metal box that the lid will push open(not latched) is good. best to just stick the amount you described in a duffel bag out of sunlight and heat, separate the primers and powder in deferent areas of the car.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I've carried that much in a sack out of a gunshow!

That's exactly what I was thinking Don.

Boolit Buddy

Check the state laws carefully!
    In New York and New Jersey even if you are just driving through and get stopped, you WILL be charged will violating their gun laws.
    Note: Claiming ignorance of their laws is not deemed a defence in court.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 7 View Post
    Check the state laws carefully!
    In New York and New Jersey even if you are just driving through and get stopped, you WILL be charged will violating their gun laws.
    Note: Claiming ignorance of their laws is not deemed a defence in court.
    First of all, why would they search your car?

Secondly, the Firearm Owners Protection Act allows a person to travel through any state with firearms if they are "passing through."

One of the law's provisions (codified in section 926A of title 18 of the U.S. Code) was that persons traveling from one place to another have a defense for any State firearms offense in a state that has strict gun control laws if the traveler is just passing through (short stops for food and gasoline), provided that the individual is not otherwise prohibited from possession of a firearm, the firearms and ammunition are not readily accessible, that the firearms are unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearms are located in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firear...Protection_Act

Boolit Master
    I can't imagine there being any concern over 6 lbs and 500 primers. I've carried a brick of primers and 2 lbs of powder strapped to the rack of a Honda nighthawk. I'd carry the reloading supplies in the same manner I'd transport them home from the store - the original packaging and inside a bag so if anything spills it's easy to clean up.

Boolit Master
    One problem with these types of questions is that there are so many laws that nobody can tell you for sure that you won’t get in trouble if you just do this or that.

A reasonable person would put this in a small cooler.
    A very concerned person would build a portable powder magazine from 1” or thicker boards(2 layers of 3/4” ply would also work)

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for all the insights offerred here. I have the powder inside a cooler that has locking straps around it and will be carried in the back of my SUV.

The primers are inside the trailer in a hidden compartment. I plan on travleing in a sane manner as suggested here. Thanks again gents.

Boolit Grand Master

I may be admitting to a crime, but I've hauled several 8# jugs of powder and several 5K cartons of primers across state lines returning from gun shows in the past. I guess I never even gave it a thought. I have had some HazMat training when I was still working but it was mostly about aerosol cans, gas cylinders and chain saw gas. Anyway, the 8# jugs of powder rode in the boxes that they came in and both the powder and primers were in the trunk of the car or toolbox in my truck. I usually drive in a manner that does not attract LE attention. I will probably do it again someday!