Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Range Finders

Banned

Range Finders

Normally, my hunting conditions don't require one, shots are close. Looking into a place that it might be prudent to have one. I have no experience with them at all and would like to hear recommendations from those who do before buying one.

Boolit Master

i subscribe to buy once cry once. i have a leica 1200, great little unit. having said that , as time progresses the cheaper one's have gotten better.

Boolit Master
    ive got a leupold rx-ll and its been a good one

I once had a set of leica geovid binoculars. They were awesome, although a touch heavy. Friend of mine gave them to me, and I never could shake the idea of selling them and buying a pair of 100.00 binos and 2 used rifles. So I gave them back to my friend. I now dont have a range finder, but I have a pair of cheap leupold binos.

Boolit Master

i have a halo brand with angle compensation.
    works day in and day out.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    i subscribe to buy once cry once. i have a leica 1200, great little unit. having said that , as time progresses the cheaper one's have gotten better.
    I have a Nikon Monarch when that used to be the top of their line and it was just prostaff, buckmaster, and monarch. I've played with several mid-range newer ones and tend to agree, the $200-$300 units are rock solid and impressive little units.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Bushnell Yardage Pro that has suited me well for the last 10+ years.

Banned

THanks for the input, I'll definitely shop around a bit and see what works. It does seem like they have the process on them down to pretty reasonable now.

Boolit Master
    I have a set of Leica 800 real old original ones..
    Work well if I can get though the trees.
    Seem to be accurate if I take a few readings.
    Basic no flash anything just a range reading.
    Does me..
    I can range things and know that is 157 yards away or 97.
    I thought I could range pretty well.
    But my thoughts were based on when I knew every hollow log and things where I grew up.

The newer mid priced ones well.

Worth the investment.. mine aren’t to bad a monocular glass either for spotting grass or sticks that looks like wabbits and such.
    **** tussac wabbits just sit and keep looking at you when you shoot.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 08-31-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    I had an old Nikon first generation range finder that I gave to my brother. 0-800 yds, only read even numbers and was not back lit for low light conditions. That said it worked well. Not ranging individual animals at extreme ranges but trees and reflective targets worked. It was early 90's model.

I upgraded to the Leupold RX1000 with TBR some years ago. I am also a bow hunter. It is small compact, usable with one hand, good 5x monocular and all around easier to read. It has so many features some useful and some I have no idea what they will do....that is can be overcomplicated. I carry the instruction card in its case.....in case I need to figure out how to undo what I did. It is backlit and very usable.....will range individual animals if you are steady enough to at least 400 yds. Battery life is excellent, I changed the original out just once, and then only because I got nervous after 4 yrs.

I like it and would buy another if something would happen to it.

Banned

ive got an old bushenell 1000 (the huge one) I tried replacing it with a new compact 1200 yard bushnell but it didn't have the range my old one had. One thing to keep in mind when buying one is most of the work reliably to about half the range they claim so if your wanting to range in a 600 yard field buy a 1200 yard unit.

Boolit Master
    I bought the Nikon 1000, It's very easy to use and plumb accurate

I bought the least expensive range finder at MidwayUSA. It was a Bushnell. That was so long ago I can't remember how long. It works perfectly to this day. It is very accurate, and the accuracy has not changed over the many years I've owned it. I check the calibration from time to time by ranging known distances.