Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scoping a Henry AR 7

Scoping a Henry AR 7

Looking to put together a pack with a detachable optic on my AR7. Anyone ever experiment with this ? Found this article, but am looking at more specifics on detachable rings and a pack for the outfit.
    http://guntoters.com/blog/2017/03/20...urvival-rifle/

Boolit Master

Personally I would buy a Ruger TD 10-22 and forget the AR-7. I haven't touched mine in a couple years... Not since getting the Ruger. I have a Marlin papoose too... it also sits...

Have you seen this site?

https://www.ar-7.com/AR7barrels.html

They offer a ton of AR-& stuff you did not know you needed.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Generally, Weaver style rings will consistently return an optic to the zero position if one side of each ring is non-adjustable (or stationary) by design.
    For example, Simmons rings that fit a Weaver base are inexpensive, one side remains stationary and they can be detached
    or re-attached with a coin since the screws have wide and deep slots.

https://www.google.com/search?q=simm...w=1920&bih=982

On the other hand, .22 tip-off rings for the 3/8's receiver dovetail can sometimes become lose and move due to recoil
    unless each side of the ring bases have independent tightening screws that create a tight grip such as Millet Angle-Loc rings have.
    However those can be much more difficult to return to zero after removal since they're windage adjustable.
    Once the tightening screws are loosened the windage adjustment can be lost along with the sighting-in zero.

Tube style dot scopes with integral Weaver style bases or rings usually return to zero.
    The least reliable to return to zero are the reflex dot sights IMO.

The main issue with any scope is that the higher it's mounted, the more critical the sighting-in distance becomes.
    You don't want to sight in the scope for too long of a distance or too short of a distance since 22LR bullets will drop at 100 yards.
    Below is a 22LR trajectory chart. But the actual trajectory can be a little skewed if the scope is mounted too high.
    But that's hard to overcome and won't matter too much if the barrel or ammo isn't super accurate at 100 yards anyway.
    Just try to learn where your gun's point of impact will be at different distances after you set it up and sight it in.

https://www.mcarbo.com/22LR-Ballistics-Chart
    Last edited by arcticap; 09-06-2018 at 12:23 AM.

Boolit Master
    I did this a couple years ago for a friend who wanted a scope on his AR7.
    Mounted the receiver on the mill, and made the cut for the standard tip-off rings. On the old AR7s that as good as it gets, there is not enough meat there to cut anything else and there is just enough for the 3/8" tip-off.
    The rings I bought were quick detach style, but they were a high see-thru set. My buddy wanted see-thru mounts, I wouldn't have, but he wanted them.
    I can only find a set of warnes right now for not a bad price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/WARNE-Maxim...ss!87102!US!-1

You can always use this adapter.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-20mm-We...r=552298729104

There are plenty of QD picatinny/weaver rings on ebay.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Thanks for all the replies. I am going with the Warne Maxim QD rings in 375Ruger’s post. If it ever stops raining I’ll let you know how it works. I just love the little AR7 package.

I had a AR-7 when Charter Arms was making them. I got scope mount from Charter. It worked ok
    but defeated purpose of rifle. Won't store in butt with scope, so what the point? Gun is a survival weapon, never was a target rifle. Most good standard 22s will out shoot a AR-7.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I had a AR-7 when Charter Arms was making them. I got scope mount from Charter. It worked ok
    but defeated purpose of rifle. Won't store in butt with scope, so what the point? Gun is a survival weapon, never was a target rifle. Most good standard 22s will out shoot a AR-7.
    Most guns can be multi purpose, for both survival (hunting & protection) & pleasure.
    Even in an emergency survival situation, having a scope can be a welcome advantage.
    It could greatly help to conserve ammunition by increasing the effective distance for hunting small game, and also help with effective bullet placement on any game or threat.
    Whether the gun were being transported in a car trunk or a back pack, there can also be enough room for some kind of an optic.
    Leaving the scope at home would always be an option if the transport space were very limited.
    I guess it boils down to how prepared a person wants to be for an emergency, and what to do with the gun in the meantime.

It's usually difficult to even determine which ammo is the most accurate in a gun without putting a scope on it to test the different ammos.
    Last edited by arcticap; 09-26-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Good luck with taking a scope on and off a AR-7 and expecting it to return to zero. The mount I had
    was a factory side mount that screwed on reciver. It required resighting when you put it back on. It's
    not like in the Spy movies where they snap a scope on a gun and shoot someone in the head at 500 yds while going down the road at 80mph in a sports car. I sight my 22s at 40yds, a practical hunting
    range. If it won't shoot into a quarter, minimum, it goes to market.

In an emergency, people don't need to shoot groups or quarters, they need to shoot game and/or threats.
    What else would a person be doing if they're stuck in the woods or out in the middle of no where, then to spend a few minutes to sight in their gun if needed?

I have a .22 target pistol with a Weaver rail, no problem removing a red dot and it returning to zero when tightened back down.
    One click or three is not too big of a deal for a .22 semi-auto, especially if shooting high velocity or hollow point ammo.
    Last edited by arcticap; 09-26-2018 at 05:26 PM.

The Warne Maxim QD rings worked fine and came off and on with little adjustment needed. The Henry has a picatinny type grooved receiver . I bought a nylon bag made by Galati specifically for the AR7 that has two inside pockets that holds the scope , gun and some ammo. This setup works for me and to each his own. I find the scope option worth the exercise.

Boolit Master
    Keep in mind that you will have to sight in the scope every time you remove and reattach the barrel because it won't be attached in exactly the same way with the exact same tension on the barrel nut. It could be more or less on but not perfect. It might be the same with just the open sights since the rear sight is attached to the receiver and the front sight is attached to the barrel. Ruger mitigated this some with their lock up style barrel and both front and rear sight are attached to the barrel. Just my thoughts.

Because the rear peep sight is fixed and non-adjustable, the gun can't be guaranteed to be able to be zeroed in without an optic.
    If the barrel collar did affect the zero of the scope, then it would affect the zero of the peep sight as well.
    That's why using a scope/optic is the only way to really insure that the gun can be sighted in at all.

Not that the zero will change anyway due to the barrel locking collar since that's a fairly reliable set up.
    The Marlin Papoose has the same barrel collar set up and I never noticed any slop with it as long as the collar is kept tight.
    The amount of tightness can be indexed with an indicator mark if someone were worried about it.

I watched several videos and saw that the AR7 can shoot fairly accurately with its open sights.
    But the non-adjustable sights can produce different results for every individual depending on the gun, the shooter and the ammo.
    IMO using an optic is the way to go for precision and making sight adjustments.

In one video, despite good groups the shooter basically couldn't hit a rabbit target slow fire at 30 yards using a rest.
    An adjustable optic would have helped to solve the problem.

An optic and/or magnification also really helps to speed up target acquisition which was evident from watching the videos
    of people shooting the gun both with and without one.
    Last edited by arcticap; 09-28-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    You make some good points there Arctic. I still have my doubts as to the repeatability but I'd very much like to have those doubts removed. Ive always wanted a Henry Survival Rifle. If there is a video demonstrating this, would you mind posting the link you refer to?

Boolit Master
    Been there done that.... Friend's son bought a Henry about 6 years ago. Unless things have changed that Picatinny looking rail milled into the receiver is really a 3/8" dovetail...standard Weaver rings don't work. In addition because of all those cool looking Picatinny cuts there isn't as much clamping surface for the 3/8" bases. If you want to put scope on would suggest a BKL one piece mount for airguns...

Next problem is walking...as in groups. Put the scope on the rifle and started shooting. Unlike the original Armalite and Charter Arms versions the barrel casing of the Henry is polymer not aluminum. As soon as things start heating up the groups start to walk because the scope keeps looking at the target and the barrel warps.... And when the barrel cooled down the group didn't return to zero.

The rear sight is adjustable for elevation and the front sight windage. The front sight blade is orange plastic and slides very easily in the dovetail. It is easily bumped out of alignment and can shift when put in the stock...

I have one of the original Armalite AR7s...a great gun...

Bob

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4202.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	227949

Name:	DSCF4209.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	227950

This is how far the barrel was out of alignment with the rear sight...they sent my friends son a new barrel.

Name:	DSCF4207.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	227951

Name:	DSCF4212.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	227952

Name:	DSCF4213.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	227953

Shot my Papoose at the same time...much more accurate. Also the groups didn't walk at all.

Name:	DSCF4216.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	227955

Name:	DSCF4215.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	227954

Name:	DSCF4217.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	227956

The Thumbnail of the Henry shows the rounds starting off right and walking left...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF4203.jpg   DSCF4204.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post

The rear sight is adjustable for elevation and the front sight windage. The front sight blade is orange plastic and slides very easily in the dovetail. It is easily bumped out of alignment and can shift when put in the stock...
    Bob
    My apologies to all. Of the videos that I initially watched, no one mentioned that both sights adjust.
    I did hear one person say that there were 2 peeps, but that was it.
    I found more info. about the sights in an article on the Henry website, and after watching even more videos:

Sights--->>> https://www.realworldsurvivor.com/20...ckup-22/#henry

Videos--->>> https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=henry+ar+7

Boolit Master
    Took my Armailte AR7 out today to see how far away I could expect to hit something the size of a rabbit....used empty spray cans instead of the real thing...

Ammo was Winchester Super-X 40 grain RN. Zero feeding issues but in 50 rounds did have 3 or so failures to completely eject the spent case. Was very easy to clear.

Position was sitting with support arm/hand 3/4 of the way up the barrel.

Cataract in the right eye limits me with non-optically sighted guns. Before 2015 clay pigeons on a bank 60 yards away were easy with is gun.

Cans were 15, 20, 25 30 and 40 yards away. No misses with targets 30 yards and under. Because of shadows it would take 1-3 rounds to makes hits over 30 yards.

Did a final target that was a 4x4" florescent diamond on a large black 50 yard pistol bullseye target at 50 yards. Had no problem keeping them on the diamond.

Only modification I am going to do is open up the rear sight aperture a little as it is just too small for my aging eyes...

Since all the squirrels and rabbits I have taken in the last 25 years have been under 50 yards, except for one squirrel that was at 80, I have no doubt that I could feed myself with this gun as long as I can see the game...

Bob

I've shot the Armalite & Charter Arms AR7s and was not impressed with the accuracy or reliability. I have a first year issue Papoose that's probably the worst Marlin I've had, ever. Survival .22? Remington Nylon 66 for me thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Sorry to Hijack, what's with the Papoose?

Boolit Master
    Papoose is a takedown Marlin 795. The 795 is a clip style magazine fed version of the Model 60.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast