WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Savage 308 for Ground Hogs

Boolit Master

Savage 308 for Ground Hogs

A few night back I could not sleep

So I used my key to my friends shop and finished a mold that was started 2 months back
    Nice to have a bunch of tools to use and not have to spend all that cash myself .... But I will be dropping off a case or 2 of beer this weekend as a thank you

A single cavity HP mold that drops a GC .312 dia bullet that is 155 gr as cast .... sort of based on the Lee Soup Can design

Last evening I did some casting , so I made up 50 of the new bullet
    I used 2 types of lead

The nose was almost pure lead and the base was a hard lead , from the bullet trap at the club ...IMO it had a high percent of store bought hard cast bullets

I sized them to .310 and used a lube that another member gave me ... darned if I can remember who gave it to me

I used a reduced charge of IMR 4895 as that jug was sitting on the bench ... just over 1900 fps and a just under 3" group at 100 yards
    I will work on loads as IMO I know the rifle can do a lot better

But I took the rifle and a few rounds with me this morning for a walk .... I was scouting deer on a area I have permission to hunt along the Maumee River

As I figured most of the deer moved before sunrise or right after sunrise .... I hope as the weather turns cooler the deer might feed in the corn field between the river and the woods

But I figured it was worth a try to see if a ground hog would come out along a old fence row

Well about 9 AM I was thinking of leaving when a ground hog came out and started eating in the harvested wheat field about 50 yards away

I took my time and made a good shot

The soft HP nose did its part and really expanded
    Lots of damage , just what I wanted for ground hogs ... I just have to work on a better grouping load

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    I have used my 308w on woodchucks, loaded with 130 gr spirepoints. It really puts a hurt on the chucks

Boolit Master
    not much left to eat though is there? we used to shoot'em with accelerators, spectacular hits, but law changed and we could only shoot small game with rim fire.

Boolit Master
    John, good work. I've done the same with cast in my Savage 10FP, in .308. I shot standing jackrabbits with mine. Only thing, was I couldn't see the impact, over the recoil. It sure messed them up.