Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 190 Grain 357 for a brush gun

Boolit Bub

190 Grain 357 for a brush gun

I am wanting to use my lever 357 as a brush/truck gun and was going to use 190 Gr RNFP boolits.
    I was wanting to know if anyone had any experience or input on using that projectile.

Boolit Master

I use NOE and Mihec 180 grain WFN, results should be similar. Overall length may be an issue, I've never used a 190. I've tried the Lee 200 grain, can't get it to feed reliably in any of my rifles using .357 mag cases.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

i used 170gr lyman and feeds realy well. shoots good to.

Boolit Master
    my rcbs 180 mold throws 195 boolits with my lead .its a gas check boolit .11.5 gr 2400 gives 1250fps in my win trapper.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    my rcbs 180 mold throws 195 boolits with my lead .its a gas check boolit .11.5 gr 2400 gives 1250fps in my win trapper.

robg,

Are you talking about this bullet?

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=574

I want to order this for my Marlin 1894C but I wasn't sure that it would feed.

Thanks,

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    Army doc.,.

First, if you talking about a short and handy firearm as being good for carrying in heavy/close cover, then your .357 may do fine.

If however, your thinking is a cartridge that will reliably penetrate heavy cover/brush, there is no such a thing that does not require wheel mounting.

Now, it may happen that someone at some time has slipped a bullet through heavy cover and taken a game animal, well stranger things have happened. BUT, it's nothing you or anyone else can count on!

Shooting my 45/70 and 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast I have had two situation that caught me completely by surprise, one as recently as a week ago yesterday. Wed. Aug. 22nd, 2018 at about 6:30am.

I won't take the time or space to relate the happenings here and now, but would gladly do so for you in a P.M. if you request it.

I prefer something a bit larger then a .357, but took two deer last Fall, both with a single shot and both dead where they stood using a Little RUGER 77/44 rifle and a 275/280gr cast Wide Flat nose bullet, so suspect a well placed shot from the .357, using a well constructed bullet will have positive results. Just don't expect or rely on it to do what is chancy at the very best with any cartridge.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master

I've taken half a dozen with the 180 grain, out to 125 yards. All expired either immediately or within ten yards. All bullets were pass through. Crusty is right, all things being relative, bigger is better. But a .357 within it's limitations is plenty.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Army doc.,.

First, if you talking about a short and handy firearm as being good for carrying in heavy/close cover, then your .357 may do fine.

If however, your thinking is a cartridge that will reliably penetrate heavy cover/brush, there is no such a thing that does not require wheel mounting.

Now, it may happen that someone at some time has slipped a bullet through heavy cover and taken a game animal, well stranger things have happened. BUT, it's nothing you or anyone else can count on!

Shooting my 45/70 and 465gr Wide Flat Nose cast I have had two situation that caught me completely by surprise, one as recently as a week ago yesterday. Wed. Aug. 22nd, 2018 at about 6:30am.

I won't take the time or space to relate the happenings here and now, but would gladly do so for you in a P.M. if you request it.

I prefer something a bit larger then a .357, but took two deer last Fall, both with a single shot and both dead where they stood using a Little RUGER 77/44 rifle and a 275/280gr cast Wide Flat nose bullet, so suspect a well placed shot from the .357, using a well constructed bullet will have positive results. Just don't expect or rely on it to do what is chancy at the very best with any cartridge.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    I was mainly just thinking about using it as a property gun and was thinking that the heavier bullet would help make up for the fact that it's just a 357. But may be I would be better off just getting a 45-70 carbine

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by army_doc View Post
    I was mainly just thinking about using it as a property gun and was thinking that the heavier bullet would help make up for the fact that it's just a 357. But may be I would be better off just getting a 45-70 carbine
    What are you intending to shoot? 357 mag is capable of much more than people seem to give it credit for. From a rifle, it's plenty for anything in your neck of the woods. It might be a bit light for moose and elk, but I can't think of a better rifle for deer and black bear.

That said, my only personal experience is with revolver. I have had some very good accuracy with a SSK design, and truncated noses seem to feed very well in lever guns. My mold is a NEI, marked 180, but with wheel weights it comes in over 190 grains. It might even be 195 grains. I wish it had a bigger nose, but cast softer, and with the long rifle barrel, it would be awesome.

Not sure what has transpired here a bouts in the last 150 years or so but evidently a 35 caliber 160ish gr. lead bullet traveling at 1600fps or more, now-a-days won't hardly kill anything. Where do these notions come from anyhow? You do not "need" a 45-70 to kill 150-200lb deer, or black bear. You can do that with an arrow traveling about 300fps. A 357 caliber carbine is not "little". IT'S A 35 (almost 36) CALIBER RIFLE. Since when has that become small. Ever heard of a 30-30, mostest deer killing rifle out there still. The 357 will do anything it will do out to 150 yds. That should get someones socks in a knot.

Not mine. I agree.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    Not sure what has transpired here a bouts in the last 150 years or so but evidently a 35 caliber 160ish gr. lead bullet traveling at 1600fps or more, now-a-days won't hardly kill anything. Where do these notions come from anyhow? You do not "need" a 45-70 to kill 150-200lb deer, or black bear. You can do that with an arrow traveling about 300fps. A 357 caliber carbine is not "little". IT'S A 35 (almost 36) CALIBER RIFLE. Since when has that become small. Ever heard of a 30-30, mostest deer killing rifle out there still. The 357 will do anything it will do out to 150 yds. That should get someones socks in a knot.
    The above about sums up my feelings as well; and though my 357 says maximum after the numbers; my wife is very partial to a sp101 as her ECD; shooting some heavy 180 cast one day at the old farm dump all five shots went through the radiator and into the crank case, these were commercial cast loaded by Hammerhead. Can’t think of a 2 or 4 legged creature that would be tougher than that.
    In a handy lever gun or single shot I can’t see much difference between the .357; 44 and 30-30 when it comes to killing deer. One season two years ago and most of it is posted here , my daughter shot a very fat doe at 35 yards with a winny 94 in 44 mag; bang flop; later in November I shot a large 6 point with a 94 in 30-30 at about 40 feet; bang flop. Later on I shot a very very large doe with a contender in 357 max at about 70 yards and bang flop. And that was a light loaded maximum round because my daughter could shoot them better than full house loads; she’d already tagyher doe so it was my turn to shoot. Anyhow 3 shots similar distance and bang flop dead with well placed shots. Deer don’t have caliber /cartridge debates;’and I think we over think it. The two larges wild hogs; not game ranch penned hogs but wild and mean I’ve ever seen taken personally both over 400 pounds; one was shot with a 22 mag and one with a 3 inch 12 gauge slug. The one hit with 22 mag fell, kicked and squealed for bit; the one hit with the 12 gauge fell down got back up and ran about 10 yards. Distance was about the same, shot placement was close, a 22 mag might be the ultimate walking around gun; or so may a 12 gauge; or maybe a 357 mag; or a 257 Roberts .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    ... a 22 mag might be the ultimate walking around gun; or so may a 12 gauge; or maybe a 357 mag; or a 257 Roberts .
    Nope it's 12 gauge. Nothing beats a pump action, but an H&R without the forend so you can break the gun down behind the truck seat is a close second.

Seriously though, a 357 mag carbine is a phenomenal choice. I don't know what the high power rifle hunters think when they talk about how weak handguns (or handgun caliber carbines) are. Do they seriously think a deer shot with a 158-200 grain bullet through the lungs are going to run 200 yards into the thick stuff? I genuinely wonder what the perceived weakness is, and why it is often refereed to as marginal? I don't believe bullet placement is everything, but a bullet that penetrates all the way through an animals vitals, and leaves more than a pencil hole, that animal will not go far. The 357 mag is not marginal, it can penetrate through at least a whitetail deer, and leave a serious wound channel in its path. Shock doesn't kill, speed doesn't kill, energy doesn't kill, and certainly a cartridge doesn't kill. There are only two ways to humanely kill. A central nervous system hit, spine or brain, which is nearly instantaneous. No mystery there, anything can work. Or more common, and a better bet, a hit in the "vitals", heart/lungs and to a certain extent liver, which through blood loss causes unconsciousness before death. Both ways can drop an animal in its tracks, and the farthest an animal has gone on me so far was a heart shot from a 50 caliber muzzle loader. Some animals are just tougher.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 08-31-2018 at 12:47 AM.

No knot in these socks! I'll let my signature fill in the rest, on this subject
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    robg,

Are you talking about this bullet?

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=574

I want to order this for my Marlin 1894C but I wasn't sure that it would feed.

Thanks,

Steve in N CA
    No its the rcbs sil 180 mold .will work in marlins if you seat over the front driving band .the win is less fussy over length.

Boolit Master
    Sorry meant to say its very similar. Its accurate out to 100 yards ,have shot it out to 200 yards grouped into a 10 inch target but it drops a lot at that distance ,about 2 foot plus

A brush gun is the one I have with me in the brush. It can be a single shot shotgun or a 25-06. If I know shots will be fast and close I'll use iron sights on a gun that uses a decent size chunk of lead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a 180 gr rnfp that I got off a group buy here a couple of years back. I'm shooting it about 1600 fps out of my Henry lever action. Shot it into wet news print and got about 16" of penetration. That ought to do it.
    Siamese4570

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by siamese4570 View Post
    I've got a 180 gr rnfp that I got off a group buy here a couple of years back. I'm shooting it about 1600 fps out of my Henry lever action. Shot it into wet news print and got about 16" of penetration. That ought to do it.
    Siamese4570

That'll work.

Steve in N CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast