WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Old Fajen catalogue

Old Fajen catalogue

Some pics from an old Fajen Catalogue. This was from around '77. If there's enough interest, I'll scan the whole thing for people's enjoyment.

Interesting to note, I had a Falling Block Works rifle that was sold on here several days ago, it was the exact rifle from the catalogue. Both my grandpa and Dad worked at Fajens, and the Fixes of Falling Block Works sent one of their J actions to him as he was also an accomplished author (The Rifle magazines field editor, and Guns and Ammo optics editor). He had this barreled to 219 Donaldson Wasp, and then handed over to Fajens to stock in Bastogne Walnut. They then took a pic to add to the catalogue.

And the falling block in the next pic is the one I sold.

Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Wow, I really miss their stocks and drooling over the catalogs. I have a few of their contender stocks that I was able to get at one point about 70% finished.. They have been a pleasure to use.

Boolit Master
    My 6mm Rem. 788 is stocked in a piece of A fancy Fajen Bastogne walnut from that era. I miss them as well. The bottom pic is a semi-fancy Bishop blank on my 700 Rem. posted the wrong picture the first time and can't figure out how to erase it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2110.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	226368
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2125.jpg  
    Last edited by Rick Hodges; 08-30-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I you scanned it I know I would be interest. I wish I had saved some.

Boolit Master

Very cool story. I scored an ebay fancy Fajen buttstock for my Brownchester 1895 in 30-40, and put an ebayed Redfield receiver sight on it to boot. It's now a handsome, useful rifle.

Boolit Master
    I heard that Mr Potterfield bought both Fajen and Bishop and closed both.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I heard that Mr Potterfield bought both Fajen and Bishop and closed both.
    I knew there was a reason I never liked that smug grinning face.
    I imagine it would have been tough keeping those businesses open and profitable in this age of the black rifles.

Boolit Master
    He didn't just buy and then close them.Upgrades were done on the stock production machines.From the appearance of the stocks the machines were CNC and made some very nice stocks.Unfortunately everybody was buying synthetic stocks at the time and the wood from Fajen and Bishop wasn't selling.Midway made an honest effort with the companies.

Here is a rifle I build back in 59 or 1960 the .22 varminter now called a .22-250 and I chose the Fajen wood for it. The bore is shot out now to the point were you barely see the riflings but it will still hold a quarter at 100 yards. I got that wood from the Herters Catalog.

Attachment 226375Attachment 226376Attachment 226377Attachment 226378

Boolit Grand Master

It used to be Rienhart-Fajen and Bishop were the top names in 95% fitted blanks and had several grades of wood available. They had great selections and some very nice upper end blanks available. Both my NM M1-as have bishop heavy walnut stocks on them.

I have another one on my 870 trap that is a knock out. It's buried t deep in my safe to get at it maybe I will dig it out it needs th be wiped out again anyway.

Boolit Master
    I watch VERY carefully on Gun Broker for custom rifles and Shotguns for those and Bishop stocks and MAKE A FULL EFFORT TO BUY THEM... Lots of Vets are passing and there guns are coming on the market..

Boolit Master
    Guy's, we didn't know how good we had it back in the day.

Boolit Master
    I have a very nice semi inletted stock made by Bishop. I also have the Mauser barreled action rifle for it but I doubt if will I ever finish the job. The wood is a very nice piece of Missouri walnut.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN