MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: SAECO #069 - Thoughts ?

Banned

SAECO #069 - Thoughts ?

I like iron molds and I like RCBS molds but RCBS doesn't make a 4 cavity mold.
    SAECO has become my alternative when seeking an iron mold with more than 2 cavities.

The HG #68 is my first choice for a 45 ACP mold but that's probably not going to happen for me. The SAECO #069 looks pretty close and seems to be a good substitute.

Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I shot thousands of Saeco #069's for years from a 2 cavity and did great for me. I switched to a Saeco 68 4 cavity for more production but didn't care for the bevel base. I've since went to an Accurate 453200H version of the #68 in 5 cavity, which is a plain base again and it super accurate in 2 Kimbers I have. I think you would love a Saeco #069 4 cavity.

Boolit Master

It is an extremely accurate bullet. Get it. You wont regret it. I would post some pictures if my 25 yard groups in my bullseye guns by my phone has ate a lot of my pictures.
    At one with the gun.

Banned
    Thanks

Banned
    Which RCBS top punch works with that bullet?

Boolit Master
    I've used the #069 for more than twenty-five years. I've also had an H&G #68. I have no high-grade target .45s, mostly just 1911-type Colts and S&W revolvers, but my results show that the #069 bullets will equal the accuracy of those cast from a #68 mould.

Boolit Master

I have a Saeco 8 cavity 068 the bevel base version of the 069 , been using them with excellent results from all 45acp tried in must be about 20+ pistols in all, I bought my mould in 1989 from GAR for $122.00 , so far ive cast 56,000 bullets and the mould is still in excellent condtion.

Most of my 45 are accurized using Clark ,Heine, Nowlin and Kart barrels. Im a Hi Master BE shooter so accuracy is important to me!

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    I have a Saeco 8 cavity 068 the bevel base version of the 069 , been using them with excellent results from all 45acp tried in must be about 20+ pistols in all, I bought my mould in 1989 from GAR for $122.00 , so far ive cast 56,000 bullets and the mould is still in excellent condtion.

Most of my 45 are accurized using Clark ,Heine, Nowlin and Kart barrels. Im a Hi Master BE shooter so accuracy is important to me!
    GAR... Oh wow! I bought a LOT of Saeco molds from them. Their price on NRA 50/50 was the best around and many bars of tin I bought for $6.90 per pound. Redding die sets too. Google search dosen't find them. A mother/son operation IIRC.

Boolit Master
    I bought several moulds and other stuff from them for years. I think family members shut down the business ten or more years ago following the death of the owner.

Banned
    Is the Lyman #460 the correct top punch for the Saeco #069 bullet?

And with that bullet is there any advantage to WW231 vs. Bullseye ??
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 09-04-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Boolit Master

I don't want to rain on the parade, but I will throw out an idea. I own Saeco molds and think they are very high quality. But in today's market, I think there is equal quality molds for less money. You may want to look at the market but that is your decision.

Banned
    Saeco's are a known entity to me and for a once in a lifetime purchase, I'm willing to spend the money.

Boolit Master
    I don't know how many I have, but at least a dozen; all were bought new, most of them more than twenty years ago. SAECOs are very good moulds.

Banned
    If RCBS made molds with more than 2 cavities, I would simply acquire RCBS molds. However, if you want more than 2 cavities, you must look elsewhere.
    SAECO's are a bit pricey but not too far out of line compared to similar custom made iron molds and SAECO's quality is reliably high.