WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Annual fishing license?

Boolit Master

Annual fishing license?

I'm planning on really getting into fishing this year since there is an abundance of lakes in my area, but the language on the TPWD website has me confused. For an annual license it states that

License Year Fishing Packages

Include a resident, senior resident, special resident or non-resident fishing license valid from the date of sale to Aug. 31 of the same year, and either a freshwater endorsement, a saltwater endorsement with a red drum tag, or both endorsements, depending on the package selected.
    If I'm understanding it properly, I could buy an annual license today and have it expire after Friday... What happens if I buy it on Saturday? Is it good until Aug 31, 2019?

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...-tags-packages

Boolit Grand Master

It looks that way. In Minnesota, ours are good from February 28th to February 28th. If you bought a license on February 20th, that license would expire in 8 days. I thought our licenses were getting high. I don't know if you would need a separate saltwater and freshwater license, I didn't when I fished in Florida, but it looks like you do for Texas. The Year-from-Purchase All-Water Package says it is good for one year after purchase, and allows all fishing. Kinda spendy though at $47, assuming you are a resident.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 08-29-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    I read on down on the link you posted and they have a year to date option

Good for a year, get at academy sports. Salt water and Ok texhoma add ons.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

In Louisiana the date is June 30th . Buy one on June 29th and it will expire the next day, no discount for the next one.
    We do have a cool Seniors program...you 60 or older...everything is free ! hunting, fishing saltwater freshwater, big and small game , turkey, bears and nutria ...it don't cover Gator's , Gator's are commerical fishing and the free permits only applies to sport fishing/hunting.
    But that's a good deal for us oldsters.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Go to a TPWD office or call and ask what you should get. In Colorado our licenses expire on the same day as the Fed duck stamp, 3/31 of each year. You can buy one for the next year early but is not valid till 4/1. TX may be 8/31-9/1 expire/renewal so if you get one for 2018 it expires Friday. Get one for 2019. Just my thoughts.

Boolit Master

Here your license is good for 365 days from purchase.

That is a good thing, but you have to remember to check that it is still valid before you head out.

But, iirc, a fishing license runs $30, as does the small game license, which is required to put in for the draw.

A combination license is $36, so not that bad.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Yes, license year is 1 Sept to 31 Aug
    But you can buy a next year license on 15 Aug or later
    and it is good at time of purchase
    So buy a 2019 not a 2018 license
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Oklahoma is Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. Lifetime hunting and fishing in Oklahoma for those 65 is $25

You have 2 choices when you purchase a fishing license, Good to Aug. 31st or good for 1 year from date purchased.
    If you are wanting a combo hunting/fishing license you wait till Sept 1st, cannot purchase the combo before then. This saves like $20 over buying a separate fishing and hunting license.
    If you only want a fishing license choose the good for 1 year from purchase date option.

Boolit Master

Skeet’s has it right. Yes you can buy a license good through August 31 of 2019 right now. While TPWD does offer a fishing license that is good for 365 days there is no need to go to that more expensive option this time of year when the “normal” license goes on sale. The reason they don’t wait until Sept first is so all the dove hunters can purchase their super combo before the season starts.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    Here, the state gives us free hunting and fishing license as soon as you turn 65
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Here in Missouri, once you become 65 (?) your driver's license is all you need to fish. If you want add-ons such as a trout stream tag, that is extra. However they also have a lifetime license you can purchase at any time with the price pro-rated based on your age. It is pricey, but if you wait until a couple of years before your 65th birthday, it is pretty cheap. I did it that way and it covers dove season, & has the trout stamp built in for stream fishing (does not include the several trout parks that have a daily fee). I use it to get my landowner tags for deer and turkey hunting on my property which are free if you have 5 acres or more. It is easy to do on line with the card number assigned to me. Missouri has a great Conservation Department that is sensitive to both the residents and does a good job balancing the game population with the county you are in. As an example, due to the finding of some Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD), my county has more restrictions than an adjacent county in which CWD has not been found.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I'm planning on really getting into fishing this year since there is an abundance of lakes in my area, but the language on the TPWD website has me confused. For an annual license it states that

If I'm understanding it properly, I could buy an annual license today and have it expire after Friday... What happens if I buy it on Saturday? Is it good until Aug 31, 2019?

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...-tags-packages
    I usually have the same problem with timing. You can pay a tad more and get a "1 year from date of purchase" which is what I always buy. If you get the normal license your statement is correct. Typically the person at the counter is familiar with these but not any more.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Someone ought to flush the people who set Fish and Game license regulations brain cavities out and have them start over. I remember talking with a license vender in Michigan's UP.....as he complained that there were no less than 111 different combinations of deer licenses. That was just for whitetail deer.

I am a trout fisherman and there are 4 or 5 different regulations for stream fishing.....sometimes two or more apply to different stretches of the same stream. One needs a gps equipped computer to know where the size limits begin and end.

One would think they could simplify things a bit wouldn't you? A pox on all their houses.

I got the TX senior combo yesterday at academy, good till 8/31/19. You do need to check the rules for Red river if you plan some fall striper fishing, a good run up river in the fall. They are hybrid but go to the texhoma dam in the fall spawn. Entering from the Ok side needs a OK lic, over 65, none needed, IIRC. Don't know about the Tx-La river/lake rules. Yeas ago I (tried) fishing the Cooper private TPL lake. Darn if those 4-5# bass weren't lined up at the shore laughing at you! Son does pretty good at lake X when he goes.
    Whatever!

Here in NH seniors (70+) get their license for $7 per year. Man there HAS to be some benefit to turning 70!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Some years ago I figured the current price of a lifetime fishing license with the price of an annual one and it was the same, so I bought the Lifetime license. The prices have gone up since then, but I turned 65, so unless the laws were changed I don't need another license, hunting or fishing....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?