Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Rock Island TAC Ultra 10mm

Boolit Buddy

Rock Island TAC Ultra 10mm

One of my friends is having another kid so hes liquidating some guns and as I result I'm picking up his Rock Island TAC Ultra 10mm which I'm not even sure if it had 100 rounds through it yet. Comes with 3 mags (2x10 & 1x8) and some extra ammo (light in the pic is not included) for $400. I've been looking around at 1911s and 10mm so this seems like an interesting combo and I cant beat that price. I shot it with him before and i dont remember having any issues with it. It does have a little bit of a kick like any other magnum but with a full size metal frame recoil isnt that bad.

I didnt really want to reload 40 cal but for 10mm I'm making an exception so i ordered Lee 40 cal die set. I've read a lot of good stuff about 10mm so as long as it runs clean this just might be my new night stand gun.

Seems like most of Rock Island reviews are mainly positive and I realize that its not a $1000+ 1911 but right now this fits my budget.

Any likes or dislikes when it comes to RI?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28191.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	226331

Boolit Master

BTW, if you want a good light that will not break the bank, Olight Valkyrie PL-II is a very good light!

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    My son has a Rock Island 1911 in .45ACP.
    He really likes it...it is well made and quite accurate.
    I don't believe he has yet decided if it will be a carry gun, but he prefers 9mm and 10mm for his carry guns.
    I have shot his Rock Island extensively and believe it to be a quality handgun particularly at it's price point.

A $400 10 mm is a great deal. I have only heard positive things about Rock Island pistols as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Only shot 2- they were both great to me. Never really heard any bad reviews. I think you came out with a great new gun. (Of course I stand by my Taurus 1911 as one of my best guns, so take what I said with a grain of salt)
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

I have the exact gun. For the price he is asking with the accessories, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. I have zero reservations about carrying mine when fishing in grizzly country. I found a local gun store that had factory 200gr XTP Hornady ammo in the old boxes. I fired 40 rounds out of the case I purchased, set the sights, and put it in the holster on my belt. There are some days that 10rds of 10mm feels more secure than 5rds of 44mag. Your opinion may vary, and my wife knows I have good life insurance. Buy it, help you buddy, and enjoy it!

I have 6 Rock Islands. The 10mm I have a installed a 40cal barrel and shot in USPSA matches. Love the gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Thats great guys. Thanx

I wasnt even looking at 1911s because budget is tight right now since my wife is not working but at this price I cant say no plus I'm sure this is more of a family price since we shoot together all the time so this way he'll still get to shoot it.
    We shot it together and i liked it then. 10mm has some punch but feels good in solid steel heavy frame like that.

I'm excited this is my first 1911 but I've only been shooting for few years now. Got couple 9s, FNX45, GP100 because you have to have a 357 now this 1911. My little handgun collection is growing just fine.

And like any other boy I cant wait to play with it .....

Boolit Buddy
    Got everything today. Not only did I get almost brand new Rock Island Tac Ultra 10mm 1911 with custom short break 3.5lb trigger (because my friend loves working on triggers so all his are custom) but I also got 2 extended Tripp Research Inc Cobra 10 round mags (also comes with 1 original 8 round mag) and 200 rounds of Armscor 10mm ammo. Everything for $400. What a deal . I feel like I stole this thing

Hes a good friend we shoot together all the time. I'll hook him up with some ammo since I reload and he doesnt.

Here she is not even cleaned yet after we ran the original 150 rounds last time he had it out about a month ago. Thats all this gun saw so far so its not even broken in yet. I have a feeling my hand is going to be pretty sore after this weekend when I take it to the range.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1911.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	226394
    Last edited by marek313; 08-31-2018 at 12:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    I'm going to get one. Good stuff said about them. Might take a harder recoil spring, but good pistola for the money.

Boolit Master
    Don't know if I would trust a phillipiano made semi in 10 mm, this is more pressure than other cals. in this design.

Boolit Buddy
    I dont discriminate based on country of origin. Armscor is not exactly a small factory or new to the market and after breaking this gun down with its bushingless bull barrel everything feels solid. I have no reservations that it will hold up for a long time even with 10mm pressures. I would worry more about my Taurus PT111 blowing up but not this gun.

Boolit Master

I have a rock island arms compact 1911, other than being a little finicky about ammo it is a great gun, but most compact 1911 platforms are ammo sensitive.

Boolit Grand Master

I've got a Rock Tac Bi Color and it is superb. You stole that gun at that price.

I just bought an ATI Titan from SG for $300 and so far not a hick-up. Great value in these guns
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

You bought a beautiful piece of hardware at a really good price, heck the ammo alone costs a hundred. Nobody appreciates a good deal more than I do but, I would have trouble going to sleep, knowing I got such a good price.
    If you find your guilt keeps you awake, pm me. I'll give you what you paid for it and send your buddy a 100.
    Nice buy.