Boolit Master

Sweet Potato Pie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180829_143613.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	226326

Just got these out of the oven.
    I'm going to take them to the Farmers Market tomorrow, one I'll cut up and give out as samples, the other one I'll sell.

Why, you wonder?
    Well, I planted 75 sweet potato starts this spring and the harvest is very abundant and I have hundreds of pounds of sweet potatoes to sell

I've got 50 copies of the recipe I used for these pies for anyone buying my sweet potatoes.

Sweet Potato Pie

1 (1 pound) sweet potato
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    2 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

Directions

Boil sweet potato whole in skin for 40 to 50 minutes, or until done. Run cold water over the sweet potato, and remove the skin.Break apart sweet potato in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a souffle, and then will sink down as it cools.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12...isMetric=false
    Last edited by Hickory; 08-29-2018 at 02:56 PM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    That's called baiting! lol

Boolit Master

Looks like my fat finger picked helping hands and not cooking!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Never made a pie in my life...until this year.

So far 2 raspberry rhubarb, one mixed berry rhubarb, 2 strawberry rhubarb, a ground cherry, and 2 peach pies. All from my garden Somebody stop me!

Something went wrong with The ground cherry pie. My helper decided to cover it with tin foil right out of the oven and the top turned to mush. I baked it while the ground cherries were frozen and I don't think the cherries cooked long enough. It was a watery mush and the ground cherries popped in my mouth when I tried it.

I think I'll try another one with unfroze berries and cut them all in half.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-29-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Banned
    Hickory,

One of my 2 FAVORITES is sweet potato. The other is MINCEMEAT.

yours, tex

Boolit Buddy
    Sweet potato pie. Is it better than pumpkin pie. Thats a new thread to start LOL. Love sweet potato pie, My first vote is sweet potato pie

Boolit Master

Growing sweet potatoes is fairly new to me, been doing it for 8-9 years. My ground must be perfect for them. The vines get thick and overgrown and the potatoes have gotten bigger then footballs several of them from one plant.
    They sell pretty good at the market and people look forward to them every year, but, I just have a lot of them this year and would like to move them on.

Historical in Texas, only Black folks ate Sweet Potato pie. They have won a few White converts, including me, but still are not widely made and eaten in Texas.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    Char-Gar,

Fwiw, North of Nacogdoches & East of Rockwall to the AR, LA & OK State lines, sweet potato pie is probably more common & better liked than pumpkin pie. = The "old families" in our area (I was born in Pittsburg & largely raised in Lone Star.) are originally/mostly from AL, GA & MS & came to TX either about 1820-40 or shortly after TWBTS.
    (The first members of our family, a pair of newly weds named Robert Charles & Leticia Fey B________ arrived in March of 1822 at Nacogdoches, took up a land grant of about 600 acres of land [in what is now Panola County] from the Spanish Royal Minister & settled down to raise swine, hunt wild cattle & catch/raise horses.)
    Note: A surviving letter to Leticia's mother, dated in the late October of 1826, states that the couple had "taken up" an additional 320 acres of "good bottom land", based on Leticia having borne a son, a daughter & also a pair of
    identical twin girls. = In those frontier days, both the Spanish & Mexican governments awarded 80-100 acres of land to the parents of each living child that lived to be "a year & a day" of age.

The predominant culture/foods in NE Texas are Southern/Rebel to the bone marrow.

NOTE: BUTTERNUT SQUASH makes better "pumpkin pie" than pumpkin does.. when prepared & spiced the same way.

yours, tex

Texas..That part of the Lone Star state is unknown to me, having only driven through it a couple of times. My Texas is South, West, Trans-Pecos and Panhandle, having lived in all those parts. I am a 6th Gen. Texas with family having come here in 1842. My children are 7th Gen and my Grandchildren 8th Gen.

My family is English, Welsh and Scots, who after a couple of generations sojourn in Virginia and South Carolina, footed it over to Georgia, Tenn. and Mississippi and thence to Texas. All branches arriving in plenty of time to fight in Texas units for the Confederacy in the War of Southern Independence in. Last branch got to Texas in 1850.

I grew up and live today at or near Brownsville, and the dominate culture, food and language here is Mexican. I love it here y aqui me queda (and here I will remain) Gringo Texas doesn't start until you get north of the Sarita Border Patrol checkpoint.

God bless Texas!

P.S. Camote is a sweet potato down here. They are very good baked as well.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 08-30-2018 at 01:45 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    Char-Gar,

Fwiw, NETX is largely unknown to a majority of Texans. = Cross the western Hopkins County line or the northern county line of Nacogdoches & suddenly you are in "The Old South". = While I now reside in The Alamo City, my heart is still in the ArkLaTex & among the Spanish-moss draped cypresses of Caddo Lake.
    (I retired here to take care of "the love of my life", who is now an invalid & who is in the Ft Sam Houston MEDDAC more than she's out.)
    Our blended family are predominantly from Yorkshire, the lowland border area of Scotland (The whole family were BANISHED by the English king about 1620 to "His majesty's colony in South Carolina" & to return to England on pain of death.) & an infusion of Woodland Indian, early.
    About 1700 the entire family moved to northern AL, GA & MS, seeking new pastures for our livestock & "bits & pieces" of the family moved to NETX before TWBTS.
    (All of the rest fled the fury of the DY lynch mobs in the Spring of 1865 & settled what is now Franklyn County. = The Unionists HATED CSA Partisan Rangers & hanged every one that they could catch, without even the pretense of a trial.)

Note: We had a FREE REPUBLIC in NETX long before the Republic of Texas was even thought of. = The Caddo Republic was established in 1822, with the capitol at Karnack on the shore of Caddo Lake. - While largely forgotten today, The Caddo Republic was much better organized than the Republic of the Rio Grande or the Republic of Texas ever was, having our own flag (a WHITE bar over a RED bar), a national anthem (Sunrise Over Caddo), a President & VP, a Congress, a REAL court system, a National Militia, a Navy (with at least 4 armed gunboats, which patrolled the Sabine River & Caddo Lake) & a Merchant Navy that traded far from Texas into the Carolinas.
    In the early Spring of 1837, the government of the Caddo Republic agreed to join The Republic of Texas, as President Robert Potter (who was also serving as Secretary of the Texas Navy) understood that THREE small, sparsely settled
    & far-flung republics would be defeated piecemeal by The Mexicans, unless they united into one Texican republic.
    (President Potter correctly believed that our little NETX republic would be soon forgotten if we joined the RoT, without any concessions, so he insisted that the new TX flag would include the CR flag as part of the NEW flag of TX. - Now you know why the TX flag has a white/red bar. - Further, Potter was CORRECT, as The Caddo Republic is NOW unknown to almost every "modern" Texan.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 09-04-2018 at 11:40 PM. Reason: add

Boolit Master

Just a hint...the potatoes are much better roasted in the oven until soft. Retains the natural sugars that way, richer flavor.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    Hogtamer,

I have to admit that my favorite way to do sweet potatoes is just plain roasted with a lot of butter. = Goes well with most any meat.

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    I love sweet tater pie. In the Piney Woods of East Texas everybody and their dog has been makin' sweet tater pies as long as I've been around at least. It used to be as common as Poke sallet, dewberry cobbler, muscadine jelly, and fried catfish around here! Ain't a thing wrong with makin' "samples" to get the sales goin'!

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master

Ur killin’ me, sweet potato pie is one of my favorites!

You just put me in the mood. I used the rest of my peaches I caned the other day accept for the last jar. Pies going in the oven.

5 1/2 cups of peaches, 2/3 cup of sugar, 1/3 cup of four, a teaspoon of lemon juice, and a quarter teaspoon of cinamin. 45 min at 400 degrees.

I made ground cheery jam yesterday for the first time. It turned out great.

Banned
    Tripplebeards,

SOUNDS GREAT. What time are we having dessert??

yours, tex

Boolit Master

Those look so good! I love that pie, gooseberry pie and sugar cream pie.

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    Tripplebeards,

SOUNDS GREAT. What time are we having dessert??

yours, tex
    Sorry, got the message too late.lol

The brown specs are cinamin...

I need to get some sweet potatoes now and go to town!

Banned
    Tripplebeards,

LOOKS FINE to me.

yours, tex