RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking stick photo

Boolit Master

Walking stick photo

Here's the photo's of the walking stick's I promised in my Muley with the 45 Thread. Both of these are about 15 years old & are 60" long. I use to get them from Boyds Gunstocks but they no longer offer them. Had 3 at one time but finally broke one dragging out an elk. You can see the original leather cord in the newer looking one compared to the longer cord I put in my old one which I'll replace today. These should be pretty easy to make if you have a wood lathe.

Dick

Very nice. A friend of mine used to make them from a straight section of Bittersweet vine, stripped the bark and lets them dry (weighted hanging upright to keep them straight) Then he carved them to final shape. The pattern on your sticks reminds me of some of the work he used to do.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, it has given me some ideas.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Thanks from me also. I do have a wood lathe. I haven't turned anything on it in a long time. It is an old Craftsman that has a separate extension base that I can spread out to get the 5' if I need to. I just never extended it out that far before. I have lots of western red cedar trees here (a million would be a conservative guess!). My thinking is that one of those could be selected to make one of these walking sticks. I commented on the original post of the Muley 45 hunt. In it I asked what the approximate diameter of the top of the stick is. Seems like an ideal size for both strength and weight considerations.
    Thanks again and I look forward to another hunting story. They are great.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

I had make my walking stick from the shoot of a maple stump.it have a curve in it so it helps me to walk better. But like the ones in the photos.Thank you for posting.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Guys, these work great if you are hunting in the west where you are spending most of the day on a side hill, they don't work as well on flat ground. I'm talking about using them as a shooting support. They are a bit long for flat type ground but on a side hill they work great, if you are planning on building one you might consider building an add on that threads on to the top so you can change lengths, just a thought.
    When I went to Africa I used 3, 5/8" wooden dowels about 30" long & tied them together with a leather thong at the top about 5" down. Then I could spead them out & stick my handgun in the forks & shoot. On the bottom I had 3 rubber "feet" & it worked great, I never would have got my Blue Wildebeest without that set of shooting sticks! They were short enough to fit right in my aluminum gun box. I still use them. Best way is to place 2 of the legs just inside of your legs when sitting with the 3rd leg toward you some what, try it. I can send a photo.
    Here is a photo of a cow elk I shot at 168 yds a few years ago with my old model Ruger 45 using my walking stick as a rest. I had it stuck in the deep snow at an angle across my left thigh & my left wrist through the leather thong, I was rock solid & she was out in the open & I had a great sight picture. My buddy shot her with the range finder & whispered 168 yds. I held some front sight & hit her through both lungs, blood went everywhere & she ran about 30 yds down hill & dropped. I also have a photo of the lungs but no need to show it.

Dick
    Last edited by sixshot; 08-30-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Boolit Master

Nice work.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Nice shooting. I know guys that couldn't make that shot with a heat seeking missile.

Boolit Master
    Making that shot doesn't make me a great shooter, what made that possible was that perfect background, the sight picture was amazing & I practice all the time.
    But, put her in the brush at half that distance & I would pass on the shot, just too risky. With iron sights it's all about sight picture & I had a great one with that all white background. It looked like I could reach out & touch her.

Dick

Boolit Master
    I have the mate to the second one in the photo. Don't know why Boyd's discontinued them.

Winelover

Beautiful animal...nice shooting....It must be nice to have the meat in the freezer too. But the best part...is the memory.

congrats

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Walking sticks this inspires me I have two pieces of 1.5" lodge pole pine from Idaho some 10 years ago time to get to work on these and turn them into a walking stick.

Boolit Grand Master

Walking sticks are cool! And yours look great! I'm going to get a custom one someday but for now mine is a grubbing hoe handle. It works! Nice shot on the Elk too!

I'm gonna buy one at the Fiddler's Convention in October, seems like the guy sells them in cedar and oak. I've been threatening to for years.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Master

Nice walking stick there!

I have made quite a few also. My grandkids like them when we visit the state parks. The gift shops carry little badges that attach to their sticks. Most of mine are made from crepe myrtle limbs that often have a knot where they were trimmed and grew back. Crepe myrtle appears to be a very hard wood after it drys. I’ve tried various types of tips, from rubber to a short section of copper pipe fitted to the tip and pinned.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Making that shot doesn't make me a great shooter, what made that possible was that perfect background, the sight picture was amazing & I practice all the time.
    But, put her in the brush at half that distance & I would pass on the shot, just too risky. With iron sights it's all about sight picture & I had a great one with that all white background. It looked like I could reach out & touch her.

Dick
    How true!

OK, since you started it.... Osage Orange, tip cast with JB Weld and Copper wire.
    Cheers,
    R

Spes Mea in Deo Est

Ok I have to have one now! Am taking off for a few weeks but when I get back I will get started. Think I still have a Ash log out back that I can Reave a few billets out of. This will get the grain going as long as possible. Turn them in the chair makers lathe with Rounders. If I am making one might as well make a batch!

Boolit Master
    Also, if you're going to use them for shooting like I do & you're on flat ground then make a second hole for a second loop a little less than half way down. That way you can sit down & it will be just right for getting your left wrist through the sling & having a solid shooting rest, works great.

Dick

Ok if I put it on the right hand as I am left handed? About how big is the dia at the top and bottom?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast