RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: What would older fmj bullets be worth?

Boolit Bub

What would older fmj bullets be worth?

A friend of a friend (who knows I reload) mentioned that when his dad passed away he left some boxes of reloading stuff in his garage. There's some brass, but also cases of fmj bullets, just common pistol calibers and weights. Looks like they're all 10 years old or so. I just don't know what a fair price would be. I realize no one is going to pay retail, but I don't know what he could expect to get for them.

Any rough guesses?

Boolit Master
    That’s a tough question depends on caliber, weight, quantity, manufacturer , and a whole list of variables . 10-year-old projectiles if stored properly it really shouldn’t matter but if they were all pitted, green, and in bad shape they could be worth next to nothing. The same applies for cases. Just like anything else it’s not worth Anything unless someone wants them. With all that being said little more info is required for anyone to give you any kind of accurate idea as to their value.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

It also depends on whether they are "pulls" or not. I used to buy military pulldown 147gr .308 for about $6-8 / 100 (yes that's an old price for sure...probably 1998-2000) I would think they would still be under $15 / 100 today. They are a good way to shoot more paper cheaply.

I never shot any FMJ pistol bullets...but would think they would be in a similar price range for pulldowns. If they are a unidentified commercial...$15-18/100 should be about right.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, they're 9mm, .40, .45...Winchester, Hornady, round nose fmj. Not pulls, still sealed in the cases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wdfwguy View Post
    Yeah, they're 9mm, .40, .45...Winchester, Hornady, round nose fmj. Not pulls, still sealed in the cases.
    Please add your location to your profile if you don’t mind.

I bought about 40,000 such bullets from an estate recently, they were all new in boxes, paid about 50% of lowest current retail price. Would do such a deal again.

Boolit Grand Master

If sealed in cases 10 years is probably nothing age wise. the problem will be most only buy fmj for plinking and will only pay accordingly. I do know several High Power shooters that are always looking for the 173 grn special ball bullets and will give a premium for them

Boolit Buddy
    As long as they are corroded, I would not be concerned about their age. The few times I have purchased reloading supplies from an individual, I figured 50% of retail for the stuff I could use. The stuff I could not use had no value to me, so I would not pay for it. I would take all they had to sell, but only for the 50% amount. If they did not agree with that offer, then I just start removing the things that had no value to me, until we get to what is an agreeable amount.

Boolit Bub
    Something in the neighborhood of 50% seems reasonable. Bullets that are .10 retail, .05 seems like a good deal.

Boolit Master
    Popular and highly desirable components should bring about 75% of the cost of the item new from an online or discount house. Less desirable items might bring 50%.
    For about 30 years I bought hundreds of boxes of jacketed rifle bullets for an avg price of about 25% of retail. I paid $1 to $3 a box for many of those bullets.
    Best deals were usually for 8mm, 6.5mm and 7mm bullets. Round nose bring less. Heavy bullets bring less...
    EDG