Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Short ammunition query

Moderator Emeritus

Short ammunition query

I have a Beretta 950 "mouse gun" in .22 Short. Resting in back of safe-shelf for at least 20 years, I reckoned it was time for a trip to the range. I loaded the recommended CCI copper tip standard velocity .22 short ammo, and the failure to eject became the norm. Case would be squeshed (technical term) between returned slide and magazine top. For kicks, I had a partial box of .22 short Eley ammo I found a couple years ago at my deceased dad's shed, while cleaning it out for subsequent sale, which I had opened in 1960. These all functioned flawlessly, and gleaned a pie-plate sized group.
    When I got home, I de-gunked it with Brakeclean, followed by G96, followed by medium air-compressor blowgun removal of excess chemicals. One scant drop of Butch's Oil on slide, and returned to range. Now, the antique Eley plain-Jane ammo continued to function flawlessly -- with a bit of improvement in the CCI -- but, I was getting at least one, sometimes two, fte's per (I load five rounds per mag) magazine. Both a "pia" disrupting shooting fun and surely not something a pistol should be doing.
    I contacted a local Gunsmith, and he said all I need do is switch to high velocity .22 short ammunition, as the standard velocity of fifty years ago is now similar to today's high-velocity (???). The "lawyers" caused, so he professed, a 200 or so fps lowering -- adding, that 50 years ago, the "high velocity short" was not yet "invented". He then went on to say most most people nowadays are more interested in QUIET than other criteria, shooting at mostly vermin in urban areas where they may be breaking ordnances and/or laws by so doing.
    HOWEVER, in the instruction booklet accompanying pistol -- a model 950BS -- was a yellow slip with a warning to NOT use CB- or sub-sonic ammo as it will not function; AND, to not use high-velocity ammunition as it will (cause) "extreme wear and premature wearing of the pistol and its components."
    Hence, my query: Hoping you have experience with the 950BS Beretta .22 Short pistol, WHAT ammunition is advised to use; as well as NOT to use? Definitely not a "defense" firearm, it is indeed fun to shoot, and I have it in my craw to have it in my granddaughter's hand in the future...
    Suggestions/comments?
    THANK YOU in advance!
    geo

George, I'm not much help but my buddy bought one in 1975 and we shot it a bunch with Rem. Golden Bullet .22 short HV HP. He still has it, still intact.
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Texas by God -- thank you! The three named in an insert on yellow paper in Beretta instruction book are the CCI copper plated .22 short; the GECO Target .22 short; and, the Remington Golden Bullet .22 short. NO mention of any "HV" or "HP" -- but you have me wondering if this is not the ammo they refer to. They mention NOT to use CB and sub-sonic shorts as "it will not provide reliable functioning". And, the warning I quoted, not to use hot stuff. I imagine, like with any recoil or gas operated firearm, too much acts as a real hammer; functioning is by a simple wire spring which no doubt is breakable... I'll seek out some of the Remington...if it worked OK in your friends' -- I see no reason why it shan't be fine in mine.
    Thanks!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I found some CCI short HP s , plated and listed at 1165fps. Shot some today thru my Rem 241 and found them to cycle it correctly as well as being fairly accurate. I was just playing around plinking at pebbles on a dirt pile. I suspect they are the middle ground you seek.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I found some CCI short HP s , plated and listed at 1165fps. Shot some today thru my Rem 241 and found them to cycle it correctly as well as being fairly accurate. I was just playing around plinking at pebbles on a dirt pile. I suspect they are the middle ground you seek.
    Just to throw in another idea here. I reload 22lr. A full load 22lr only has about 1.8 to 2.2 grains of powder depending on the powder used. I believe the 22 short case will hold that much. This would lead to the conclusion that 22 shorts can be loaded to achieve 1200 fps or more with slightly lighter bullets (36 grain or 32 grain) That velocity would obviously be lower in a 2 or 3 inch barrel but still ...practically as powerful as a 22lr.