Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NOE Announces More Pellet Moulds

Boolit Master
    this is very cool. I believe the "hunter" style, lighter-weight pellets will work in non-magnum springers, which happen to be my choice for target and small game. The .22 target mould also interests me.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    NOE have found making the tooling to cut the cavities for .22 cal pellets "challenging", so the even narrower waist on a .177 pellet is likely not going to happen....

These pellets are a "nose-pour" design in order to incorporate the hollow base.... so HP is not possible when casting.... Combining both a HP and HB is something you will have to continue to swage....

Bob
    Just curious about this dilemma. I can see how the thin wasp-waist of these pellet geometries would make designing the cherries for such a mold kind of difficult. I can also envision that cutter snapping clean off due to its' very small diameter at the waist. So how did they arrive at a solution?

In order to mitigate the chance of breakage it seems that they either had to make two separate cherries, one to cut the head of the pellet and one to cut the skirt in order to get around the potential breaking of that narrow waisted cherry/cutter or, they had to take some ultra shallow depths of cut in order to dish out the shape of these pellets; or both of the above. This is one of the reasons that the pellet making attempts I tried only got me as far as being able to cut my cavities in more of a spitzer shaped hollow based pellet.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    There seems to be a lot of options and opportunities for light centerfire loads for pest dispatch.
    I was asked to gun on 7 farms this year. Not one of them would allow a powder burner of any kind. One farmer told another and he told another. I had more rock chuck shooting than I had time for. I shot 250 this year with my Air Arms TX200.

I understand the pellet cherry is one piece.... In the case of the .22 cal pellet, the waist is 0.164" and the head is 0.217", so the difference is 0.053".... If you subtract that from the waist you get 0.111", so if the waist of the cherry is 0.100" (just a guess), the nose of the cutter would be 0.153", and you could drill a 5/32" hole (0.156") nearly through the mould block and the nose of the cherry would clear that hole when inserted from the bottom.... and then interpolated (spiralled) outwards to the finished diameter.... I'm pretty sure these pellet cavities are machined from the bottom, through the hole for the RG pin.... which is probably machined first to the diameter of the RG pin (which is larger than the pellet skirt diameter)….

At least that is how I think they are made....

Bob

Boolit Master

These molds will be a great asset to the air gun industry. Suddenly a 30 cal springer could be in my future.
    I would pay handsomely for a 30 cal rifle incorporating mechanical recoil cancellation.

Right now, a 22 caliber hunter mold would make me wave my credit card at Al.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    This is going to push me over the edge on a 30 cal or 35 cal air gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    I understand the pellet cherry is one piece.... In the case of the .22 cal pellet, the waist is 0.164" and the head is 0.217", so the difference is 0.053".... If you subtract that from the waist you get 0.111", so if the waist of the cherry is 0.100" (just a guess), the nose of the cutter would be 0.153", and you could drill a 5/32" hole (0.156") nearly through the mould block and the nose of the cherry would clear that hole when inserted from the bottom.... and then interpolated (spiralled) outwards to the finished diameter.... I'm pretty sure these pellet cavities are machined from the bottom, through the hole for the RG pin.... which is probably machined first to the diameter of the RG pin (which is larger than the pellet skirt diameter)….

At least that is how I think they are made....

Bob
    That makes sense.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    I shoot a lot of airguns and felt that I had to comment, I have 3 molds for the airguns, 2 are pellets and 1 is a slug. The NOE plans are great and I am waiting to pick up a short .25 cal. mold from them. Only one small fly in the ointment, none of the molds show equal accuracy to the std. pellets that are from the big names(usually JSB or H&N), close but no cigar. I have played with diff. weights, alloys, etc. I will carry on playing with the cast pellets because they have the potential to save a lot of money, esp. with the .25 and the .30.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I shoot a lot of airguns and felt that I had to comment, I have 3 molds for the airguns, 2 are pellets and 1 is a slug. The NOE plans are great and I am waiting to pick up a short .25 cal. mold from them. Only one small fly in the ointment, none of the molds show equal accuracy to the std. pellets that are from the big names(usually JSB or H&N), close but no cigar. I have played with diff. weights, alloys, etc. I will carry on playing with the cast pellets because they have the potential to save a lot of money, esp. with the .25 and the .30.
    I don't want to come off sounding like a smart-alec but, having the hands on experience that you have with your 2/3 pellet molds, can you offer up any ideas as to why you don't seem to be getting the kind of accuracy alot of us get with some of the store bought heavy pellets? Is it a "Swaged" versus "Cast-Pellets" thing that's possibly giving you unequal accuracy?

I don't have the answers. I'm just wondering. It seems that the store bought pellets are swaged more often than not and I'm wondering if this is a critical difference. Also; might it be the quality of the molds? Again, I'm just asking cause I don't have a clue if your present pellet molds were made by NOE or some other maker. All the mold makers I know of offer quality products so, I'm just wondering out loud.

I always thought that because my home made pellet swaging dies or molds were made by an inexperienced maker like myself I had only myself to blame for not getting more accuracy out of the pellets I've made with them. These NOE molds are said to be "Nose-Pour" molds. What this means to me is that because the critical dimensions of the pellet skirts will be formed at the bottom of the mold, the fragile pellet skits won't be subjected the kind of dinging or distortion like that of the skirts of my home made pellets. Mine are made tail-up and the pellet heads down. This means I have to cut the sprue/tails with a sharp razor blade. This process yields pellet bases with many microscopic differences.

With cast bullets it's said that the base of the bullet is the critical part of the bullet in terms of accuracy. The nose of the bullet, not as much but still important. I have to believe that in a sense, pellets are no different.

Are the pellet molds you're using now of the "Nose-Pour" type? Overall my questions are an attempt at figuring out if these upcoming NOE pellets molds are maybe to good to be true or if they'll live up to the performance levels that my three NOE bullet molds have delivered. If the molds you're using now are NOE pellet molds of some type then perhaps this is to good to be true. If they are not made by NOE, then there's still a very good chance that they'll live up to the NOE quality reputation.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 09-01-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    There's no question that the NOE molds including the pellet ones I have are top notch molds and prolly couldn't be made any better, I think that the swaged pellets made by the better outfits, have been made and tested for accuracy for many years, including Olympic competition. My HWs, Daystate, and Air Arms guns, both PCPs and springers can shoot one hole groups with their preferred pellets, they won't do the same with anything that I cast(yet).

Boolit Master
    It's just mind bending that with quality being equal, the manufactured and store bought pellets seem to outshoot what we can make on our own or what we cast from high tolerance professionally made pellet molds.

There has to be some hard to see or discern details of one versus the other that makes some better than others in terms of performance. I have only two break barrels and one budget PCP and all three will shoot the 18 grain store bought pellets more accurately than any other pellets I've tried. I'll still be watching with interest what comes of these NOE offerings. Hopefully it will surprise all of us in a positive way.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Idahoron, that is some impressive work.

This might give some insight on some of the problems .Marvin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur6i...list=WL&t=679s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    Idahoron, that is some impressive work.
    That was about half of them for that day. I shot 250 Rock Chucks this year on several farms. 190 came off of one farm alone. That farmer lost $10,000 in beans last year. I increased his income this year.

Boolit Master

Wow, that looks like so much fun! I used to shoot a bunch of groundhogs at our farm when I was young. They make a hole that can break an axle and they eat beans like nothing I have seen.

I just got off the phone with Al, and he asked me to supply him with drawings for .25 cal and .30 cal Target pellets, similar to what I did above in .22 cal (based on the Hunter design but a wadcutter).... Looks like he is really committed to producing a variety of moulds for airgun pellets....

Bob

Sounds like more good news to me!

Boolit Master
    Alright I just ordered a Hatsan carnivore in 30 Cal. Any ideas about Which molds will be the right length for the magazine. I'm going to be shooting mostly at 50 yds so pellet weight should not be much of a concern (within reason)

I love the idea of casting 30Cal pellets. I can retain all my lead so endless fun!

My neighbor called the police because I was shooting an airsoft pistol. I expect the swat team to show up when I fire this big boy off. Can't wait!

All three of the .30 cal pellets are designed to fit in the Hatsan mags.... I would suggest you try the Hunter when it comes out, the Magnum Hunter at 59-66 gr. may be a bit heavy for the Carnivore.... unless you tune it up....

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Alright I just ordered a Hatsan carnivore in 30 Cal. Any ideas about Which molds will be the right length for the magazine. I'm going to be shooting mostly at 50 yds so pellet weight should not be much of a concern (within reason)

I love the idea of casting 30Cal pellets. I can retain all my lead so endless fun!

My neighbor called the police because I was shooting an airsoft pistol. I expect the swat team to show up when I fire this big boy off. Can't wait!
    I was thinking of doing the very same thing. Looking hard at the new Hatsan 130.... i’ve Seen reports of a bit over 600 FPS. with the 46 gr. pellets in that one.
    Not bad for a break bbl. 30 cal.

Please give a report on it when you get it! Especially the 50 yd. accuracy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast