Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NOE Announces More Pellet Moulds

Banned
    switch to 50/50 and just use large rifle primers you shouldn't have much of an issue if you use at least lla

I'm not familiar with shooting pellets using a primer in a PB.... but that sounds like it might work.... You may not need to go to anything other than WW lead.... Please let us know how it works....

Bob

Boolit Buddy

Bob
    I have shot lots of pellets using primers in PB cases,
    I made several versions, starting with just a neck sized cases,
    using just the primers for that case, ie 22 Hornet case = small rifle or pistol primers etc,
    then I tried using what ever case I was using at that time, 22 Hornet, 221 FB, 222, 22-250, 256 Win Mag, 257 Roberts cases etc,

I had the best accuracy using the above cases, filled with lead, with a 1/8" pilot hole from the primer to the case mouth,
    then the cases were neck sized only, to hold the pellets securely.
    I removed enough of the lead inside the neck that a pellets could be seated flush with the case/neck end.

Then I drilled the primer areas out to use large rifle/pistol primers, or .210 standard shotgun primers,
    I made a simple "L" shaped tool, (mild steel nail) long enough for which ever case being used,
    this "L" tool was 1/8" dia, which was used to push out the fired primer, then a live primer could be hand seated and a pellet loaded etc.

I also made some cases that were drilled with a taper pin reamer to the primer pocket, using the #1, #2 taper pin reamers etc.
    I did not have a chrono at that time, but would estimate the fps was around 650+ fps,
    which corresponded to the rifle (PB) POA at 25 yds, and I could use the standard HP rifle loads, when needed,
    and switch back and forth for what ever game being found etc.

The accuracy of these cases/primers was good enough, that inside 25 yds, lots of small game, rabbits/squirrels etc were added to the game bag,
    without the noise of a PB etc.
    Before I found out about air rifles now, which were not available in the early 70's etc.

Do not use any powder, as the accuracy results are sadly lacking, ie TOO much psi for the pellets skirts etc.

HTH,

Tia,
    Don

Thanks for the education, Don.... I have heard of the practice, but never any concrete results from it.... I can see the advantage to filling the case with lead to reduce the volume inside.... Great information for those interested....

Bob

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234