Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NOE Announces More Pellet Moulds

NOE Announces More Pellet Moulds

I have been working with Al Nelson at NOE Moulds to increase the number of pellet moulds available so that airgunners can cast their own pellets, reducing the cost per shot.... These designs are based on the successful .25 and .30 cal moulds that NOE already have available, with a round-nosed design with a 60% meplat that makes the pellet hit harder, and is required for the nose-pour style moulds that NOE is producing.... They are using their proven "RG" pin system to provide three different depths of base cavity so that you can fine tune the weight and CG location for what works best in your gun.... As part of this major entry into supplying Diabolo style (waisted) pellets, NOE have decided to name the pellets to make their use clear.... The existing .25 and .30 cal moulds, because they were designed at the heavy end of the spectrum within each caliber will be called "Magnum Hunter" pellets, and that series will now be expanded to cover .22, .35 and .45 calibers.... There were requests for shorter, lighter pellets in .25 and .30 cal, and that will be available in the new "Hunter" series, covering those calibers, plus .22 cal as well.... In addition, a .22 cal Wadcutter design will complete the line-up, dubbed a "Target" pellet....

First of all, here are the two existing designs, currently available in the NOE Online Store....

Here are the new lighter weight offerings in these two calibers....

and here are the new .35 and .45 cal designs.... It is planned to offer the .45 cal in 0.452" and 0.457" head diameters....

Finally, here is the new .22 cal line-up of NOE pellets....

As I understand it, Al plans to produce these designs ASAP and place the moulds in the store without using Group Buys.... This will reduce the time required for the new pellets to proceed through the NOE system.... I will of course keep you informed as each new pellet mould is ready for purchase....

Bob

Boolit Master

There seems to be a lot of options and opportunities for light centerfire loads for pest dispatch.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

A .177 mold/s would be nice for those of us who feed Grand Kids Air Rifles.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    The .22 caliber offerings are great news to me. I've made by own pellet molds and pellet swaging dies with some success but that success is short lived when you consider that beyond 25 yards my DIY pellets tend to loose their accuracy pretty fast.

The twenty grain hunter pellet looks interesting. I'm wondering if this same design can be had with a shallow hollow point so as to possibly bring the weight down to 18.5 or even 19 grains or maybe having a slightly deeper skirt-hollow depth the those pictured?

I'll have to visit that website again just to get caught up on what's new with cast pellets. Any idea exactly when these new pellet offerings will be available? My Umarex Gauntlet can stack the 18 grain pellets one on top of another at the slightly higher velocity I've gotten it to shoot at so I'm thinking that the midsized domed .22 caliber pellet might be just the ticket for me not having to buy any more 18 grain pellets from vendors.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 08-28-2018 at 08:39 PM.

NOE have found making the tooling to cut the cavities for .22 cal pellets "challenging", so the even narrower waist on a .177 pellet is likely not going to happen....

These pellets are a "nose-pour" design in order to incorporate the hollow base.... so HP is not possible when casting.... Combining both a HP and HB is something you will have to continue to swage....

Bob

Boolit Master
    As long as they'll shoot as accurately as the 18 grain jumbo heavies I can live without the hollow point. I just thought it would be nice if I could get the domed NOE offerings down to 18 or 18.5 grains it might duplicate the accuracy I'm getting now with the store bought pellets. I don't think the 18.5 grain wadcutters would be as accurate out beyond fifty yards; especially traveling in the high 900fps range.

Who knows, it may be that the 20 grain pellets might be even more accurate than the 18 grain pellets.

How long before these pellet molds start selling? Any idea?

HollowPoint

rsterne

Thanks for your involvement in all of this in making easy to get moulds for air gunners a reality. Looks like exciting times ahead.
    I really am pleased to hear all this.

They won't all appear at the same time.... I think the .22 cal Magnum Hunter will be next.... I understand Al plans to make all the tooling one after the other, then it will depend on the availability of the mill when they make the moulds....

Bob

Boolit Master
    It sounds like it will be a long time before we see anything on their shelves for sale. I guess I jumped the gun then. I told all of our Umarex Octane shooters group about these molds being in the pipe line. I may have sounded like it was just a short matter of time before they were available.

I'm thinking that if or when they do become available they should be a real hit; assuming they produce accurate pellets. We have a little over three hundred members in our Umarex Octane shooters group and some of them have begun venturing into the Umarex Gauntlet PCP arena. Virtually everyone there who has tried the 18 grain jumbo heavies has reported stellar accuracy with them compared to the lighter weight pellets so if the NOE offerings can match their accuracy even those who are presently not bullet casters will then have an incentive to start casting their own pellets.

Just think of it; never having to buy pellets again. This is of course if you have a good source of lead with which to make your pellets. My stash of Lead ingots would equate to maybe two life times worth of pellets. That's if I were only using my stash to make pellets.

HollowPoint

Will the skirts on the .22 .25 and.30 noe pellets be the right fit for the run of the mill pump or break bbl. air rifles?

Boolit Master
    That sounds great if there accurate. My problem would be shelling out the cash for a mold & it not group. I cast all my bullets & have
    for years. I would jump on a good pellet mold if they shoot with R&S, H&N & JSB,s.

Fly
    Last edited by Fly; 08-29-2018 at 08:32 PM.

The skirt and head sizes on these pellets are the same as what JSB uses.... As you all know, not every pellet groups in every airgun, some prefer JSB, some H&N and some Crosman…. While we would hope that these pellet will work well in every airgun.... not even JSB manages that....

Bob

Boolit Master
    "Will the skirts on the .22 .25 and.30 noe pellets be the right fit for the run of the mill pump or break bbl. air rifles?"

This was my concern as well. I did notice the dimensions in the diagrams. It would be a simple matter for me to build a pellet skirt sizer. The head of the pellets appears to be similar to what my air guns prefer but, on some of the lighter pellets that I've had to size the skirts down on, they sometimes don't seemed to group quite as consistently as those pellets with skirts that needed no altering. Since these diagrams are just that, diagrams, perhaps the final product will reflect a skirt diameter that fits a more generally dimensioned air gun than maybe some specific lines of high end air guns. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

"That sounds great if there accurate. My problem would be shelling out the cash for a mold & it not group. I cast all my bullets & have
    for years. I would jump on a good pellet mold if they shoot with R&S, H&N & JSB,s."

My sentiments exactly. I own three different NOE bullet molds and each one of them has delivered the goods in terms of accuracy after some fine tuning. I'm hoping that these .22 caliber pellet molds will also live up to the NOE quality. Still, I'm wondering if maybe we can get hold of some sample pellets before laying out the cash for the going price for these pellet molds. I'd love nothing better than to be able to make my own high quality, high accuracy pellets.

I suspect that in reality (and just like with bullet molds used for powder burning guns) the pellets produced by these molds will work extremely well in some air guns, mediocre in others and poorly in a certain percentage of air guns. I think since it will be a while till their available, I'll start saving my spare change for a possible purchase. I'll never know if they're going to work unless I try them in my air guns. Even then I think it might be wise to wait till the reviews are in. I love the idea of .22 caliber pellet molds of this type. It's been a long time coming. I hope it turns out to be a real money maker for NOE. This way we can look forward to more pellet mold ideas down the road.

HollowPoint

The skirts on all airgun pellets are from 0.007-0.010" larger than the head diameter.... This is intentional, and the way all pellets are designed.... The skirt is thin and easily conforms to the bore of your barrel.... When fired, it expands, and the pellet no longer resembles what it did when you loaded it.... Here is a picture of what happens on firing....

The pellets on the left have been fired, the ones on the right were pushed through the bore with a dowel.... These are JSB Exacts.... The shape of the skirt after firing depends on the peak pressure of the firing pulse, and the diameter of the bore.... and there is no standard diameter for airgun barrels.... Pellets are designed to compensate for the wide range of diameters and tolerances in the industry.... This is the reason that the same pellet may have a radically different BC when fired from two different guns.... It is also the reason that guns are "pellet picky" and prefer one pellet over another....

Bob

Boolit Master
    Bob I,m thinking as HP in if we could buy a tin or small amount of pellets to try it would help.

Fly

Boolit Mold
    Good idea. I will try the 25 and maybe the 22. Any idea what the mold will cost? (ballpark figure)

2 cavity moulds are $103 and 4 cavity moulds are $133.... They come with 4 sets of pins to make the 4 different weights....

Bob

The 22 mag. moulds are for sale now, so some reports should be coming out soon. Lol, regardless of that though, i’ll be one of the first to try the 22 hunter moulds to come out.
    I just wish he would add round ball moulds to his list one day for those that like them.

Boolit Master
    I guess I'll be holding out till they get the midweight pellet molds ready to ship. The ones that are ready now are the heavier of the bunch. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that 24 grains is a little heavier than I need for my preferred shooting environment. (my back yard)

Incidentally, I measured the skirts of a random sampling of my store bought pellets and it averaged out to approximately .222". In the grand scheme of things a skirt diameter that is .002" larger than this may not amount to much. It may effect velocities if you shoot an air rifle with a chocked bore. The smallest skirts I measured came in at .217" and the largest came in at the .222" I mentioned before.

The chamber of my Umarex Gauntlet must be tight compared to other Gauntlets cause with the larger skirt diameter it requires a bit more effort to get the pellets into battery. This leave a slight accumulation of lead shavings at the mouth of the chamber over time. As long as I stay on top of it there's no problem; and I get excellent accuracy to boot.

When compared to the price of the regular bullet molds, I think the prices being asked are kind of steep but if they'll put out some accurate shooting pellets I'll still be buying one. I'll just have to wait and see.

HollowPoint

The additional cost is because of the RG pins required to form the hollow base.... The prices are the same as for bullets with a hollow point from NOE....

Bob

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast