Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: older Weaver Micro-trac scope question

Boolit Master

older Weaver Micro-trac scope question

Hi guys,
    I have a older Weaver Micro-trac W (wide field ) 6X scope.
    My question: what are the adjustment graduations per 100 yds. I had assumed 1-click = 1/4" at 100 yds, but it didn't seem to be so, more like 1/8", which seemed very odd to me.

Any thoughts,,or suggestions.
    thanks
    art
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

It should be 1/4" is one click at 100yds; 1/8" at 50 yds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

that what I though it should be ,,,but I don't think this old scope is tracking properly,,,I've switched to a different scope...
    thanks
    atr

If you want to, put it on a known accurate .22 and box test it. When you make adjustments go past and back to settle in setting. More voodoo is to tap the adjustment knob with a coin, to settle things more. Good luck, a K6 is very useful if it's clear and true. I became a rifleman with one on a Remington 788 22-250.

Boolit Master
    I always thought of the old K series Weaver scopes as something you sighted in and then left the adjustments alone afterwards.I used to tap the adjustment turret with a Zippo lighter after making adjustments.That helped making sure the adjustment took place.

Boolit Master

Hi Texas and KenT..
    I did run the dials back and forth and a little tapping....it did not seem to make a difference....I also notice that the picture was not clear when compared to my other older Weaver K's so I swapped it out....
    thanks guys

Boolit Master
    When you have a screw thread adjusted device such as the scope turret or a machine tool you normally try to determine which direction unscrews the adjustment screws so you can back them out a little past center.

Then you very slowly turn the screws inward (to zero) so the backlash or lost motion in the threads is removed. As you turn the screws (windage and elevation adjustments) the movement is opposed by the springs in the adjustment mechanism. The result is more consistent adjustment. However if you over shoot say 4 clicks it is best to back up 20 clicks and then reverse back 16 clicks to get back to the right place without any lost motion due to unseen and unexplained backlash.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    The Microtrack scopes could be special ordered with 1/8 and I think 3/8 MOA adjustments. As long as it is consistently making 1/8 MOA adjustments, I’d just shoot it as is. I still have 2 16X models on my 1,000 yd “any sight” rifles. They aren’t “bright” by today’s standards, but are great scopes nonetheless.

I had a lot of Weaver Ks from 2x to 12x that I bought new back in 60s. K6 was my favorite scope.
    It was the biggest I could shoot well offhand, nice light gathering ability. When ever we were sighting in we would lightly tap tube right behind turrets with a little wooden handle screw driver.
    To ensure it took the adjustment.

Boolit Master

thanks EDG,
    I am familiar with that procedure...

eck0313...I suspect that this scope may have that special order 1/8 type adjustment...thanks for that information

OK,,,I will give this scope another try

atr

Boolit Master
    I really like the Micro-Trac scopes especially the fixed 2.5X and 3X models. They have good adjustments and very long eye relief for hard recoiling rifles. The immediately previous model had a steel turret and a very heavy steel tube. I call those heavy tube scopes the boat anchor scopes and they are also very good for hard recoiling rifles too.
    Those 2.5X and 3X scopes are reasonably compact and are very tough and work well for moving animals at close range but have enough magnification to use at 300 yards on big game.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I’d bet that scope was originally destined for a hunter class bench rest rifle. 6x was the maximum magnification allowed. They were a good scope for that purpose, just heavy compared to a Leupold. The non-target model Leupold scopes at the time don’t have click adjustments, so some preferred the T-6.