RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Induction heating for case annealing?

Banned

Induction heating for case annealing?

I don't know if this belongs in here or not but since this is a case forming/reforming section I thought it would fit right in.

anyway.....

Looking at making an induction heater to aid in annealing case necks of rifle cases. Anyone else used this process? Any thoughts? I've watched the videos of those automatic annealing machines and I'm not really impressed with them. One thing I don't like a torch or a dual torch setup because of the possibility of a torch falling over and starting a fire.

My idea is to construct a simple induction heater with a timed cycle that one can set. Annealing as I understand it is a simple yet understood process. Too much heat and you turn the neck cherry red and possibly case damage to the metal and too little heat and the time you have spent doing the process is wasted. If I understand the process you want to heat the neck to 700-750 degrees. There is a compound out there that can be put on the cases and it burned at this heat point showing that the case is heated correctly. Anyway I'm thinking of a simple unit that would allow one to position the heater above a single stage reloading press and put a case in the case holder and simply run the case up into the heater coil to expose the neck to the heater and cycle the heater and adjust the run to in order to get the correct temp reading. Once that happens you simply lower the case and remove it. The second idea is to construct a simple machine that you load with cases and it anneals them and spits them out.

Boolit Master
    I like that idea. Sounds like it could be done fairly easy. The down side is, of all the induction units I have seen from the automotive tool dealers ( Snap-on, Matco, Cornwell, etc), they are expensive. At least for me anyway. $300 to $400 dollars. But if one could put it on a timed circuit like you stated, the consistence of applying the heat would probably work out great . Some one with electrical circuit knowledge can come up the a timer design I'm sure. I will watch this post with interest.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Grand Master
    Even a coil you could just insert the neck into by hand. I prefer to do it that way. Lights off, watch for a hint of glow and pull the case. Once I know the time for that I simply count. By holding the case with my fingers I also ensure the head never gets beyond warm.

How much would a coil run? Is this a battery thing or plug in?

Interesting idea.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    The ones I saw were plug in a/c voltage.
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Even a coil you could just insert the neck into by hand. I prefer to do it that way. Lights off, watch for a hint of glow and pull the case. Once I know the time for that I simply count. By holding the case with my fingers I also ensure the head never gets beyond warm.

How much would a coil run? Is this a battery thing or plug in?

Interesting idea.
    This will be a plug in 120vac power supply. It will be a 120 primary transformer with a secondary of 12-24volts with will be rectified to provide DC voltage to run the heater.

Boolit Master
    I was watching some videos that showed induction heat treating and it take just seconds to heat an object in the coils magnetic field
    Life NRA member

Thomas Jefferson

http://youtu.be/a_ohUknmaq4

Just found this. Would be way cool if it could be set up on a presa with a automatic case feeder.

Boolit Master
    There we go! Some one beat us to it. I think it worth a try. But need to get the timer schematics.
    Life NRA member

Thomas Jefferson

Love Life
    I looked into doing this a year or two back, even started a thread on it in the projects sub forum, but didn't follow through. The price of an induction heater paid for a whole lot of MAPP or Propane and I have been happily and safely annealing ever since.

Here you go: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...on-heater-tool

Boolit Master
    It looks pretty cheap to make one if you know your way around a soldering iron. Here is a pretty simple one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVYMLnXW9uo and the write up: http://www.rmcybernetics.com/project...ion-heater.htm I might have to add this to my list of future projects.

Boolit Grand Master

Neat idea but that's a lot of upfront cost. I wonder what the duty cycle is on the heater? Can't be more than 50%. Most likely a lot lower.

I like the idea and w/ the right jig setup you will have consistency. Basically create a floor that slides out. Drop the brass in from the top. Slide the floor out at the end of the timed cycle. You'd basically just be moving the coil up and down for different case heights. I don't want to stick my hands anywhere near the coil.

I've been eyeing up one of those BenchSource annealers. They're proven, this is not

Love Life
    Yeah, I just bought some MAPP, 900 degree Tempilaq, 400 degree tempilaq, and went to town. Dumping into a bucket/coffee can of water/citric acid mix removes any scaling and tempilaq and after tumbling you can barely tell the brass has been annealed.

Boolit Master
    Here you go with the latest and greatest.

http://www.ampannealing.com/

In Remembrance
    I think for there $1K asking price.....I'll stay with my Ken Light annealer.....
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Grand Master

That's directed at the Benchrest shooter since it only goes up to .338. Price tag will keep most from buying one. It's twice the price of flame annealers. And unless you're shooting for thousandths of an inch I don't see how any added consistency would benefit you.

On the other hand if you don't want to deal w/ open flames and don't mind the cost. Then it seems like a good option.

A diesel eng glow plug would be another possiblity, 12V, relatively inexpensive. Figure out how to duty cycle it, shim the end to fit snugly in the case neck.

Boolit Grand Master

We had them available in the tool rooms I worked in to heat bearing to swell them and intall on shafts. Worked good for that and was quicker more consistant than a tourch or oven but they were very expensive units. I think the one was around 600.00 or so. Also keep in mind they dont discriminate between bearings cases rings watches metal chips. Its an interesting Idea and I thought about it once and never went any farther.

Banned
    Guys it doesn't cost $995 or 600 or even $300 to make this. I've already thought on the timer circuit and have the problem solved. Worried about duty cycle? Don't be because the coil can be cooled via a set of cooling lines a pump and a radiator.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by s mac View Post
    A diesel eng glow plug would be another possiblity, 12V, relatively inexpensive. Figure out how to duty cycle it, shim the end to fit snugly in the case neck.
    A diesel glow plug isn't going to work.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    It looks pretty cheap to make one if you know your way around a soldering iron. Here is a pretty simple one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVYMLnXW9uo and the write up: http://www.rmcybernetics.com/project...ion-heater.htm I might have to add this to my list of future projects.
    Your part way there. This unit is crude but will work when coupled with a correctly designed cooled coil with a timer and a decent power supply rated at 6A or more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast