Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: CLOSED- MP-Molds - Shotshell BUCKSHOT mold

Boolit Buddy
    Got mine last Sat. Yes, it is a work of art. One thing I'm going to have to do is shorten the sprue stop bolt about 0.060" as it sticks out just enough to lock up my Lee mold handles. No big deal just chuck it up in the lathe and have at it. Thanks Miha it looks like its going to be a good mold once I have time to play with it.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by AggieEE View Post
    Got mine last Sat. Yes, it is a work of art. One thing I'm going to have to do is shorten the sprue stop bolt about 0.060" as it sticks out just enough to lock up my Lee mold handles. No big deal just chuck it up in the lathe and have at it. Thanks Miha it looks like its going to be a good mold once I have time to play with it.
    I had the exact same problem. Only backed it out a fraction of a turn until the handles fit right. No need to use a lathe.

Mine fits the Lee handles just fine. I have noticed if you have it so the bolt is on the bottom(threads and bolt at the bottom, bolt head at the top), it clears. Basically flip the mould in the handles

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nhyrum; 01-23-2019 at 11:12 AM.

In Remembrance

I always install handles, on everyone's molds, so that the head of the pivot bolt is at the top, and the threads and not are at the bottom. And, I also arrange the mold such that the sprue cutter pivot is at the far end of the handle/mold assembly. I like to have the mold hot enough that a push with my thumb starts the sprue cutting plate to open, and cut the sprue. And, when assembling the handles to the molds in the way I describe, the handles always fit fine.

This isn't my image (shootandreload), but it shows how I assemble my molds to handles:

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    Mine fits the Lee handles just fine. I have noticed if you have it so the bottom of the handle bolt is on the bottom, it clears. Basically flip the mould in the handles

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by Gamsek View Post
    Wow. Thanks so much.. they look great! And aren’t the boolits in the background the Hammer of Thor mold??? Thanks so much for the pics... now if we could just get a mail float plane, I might just have mine also.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Snail mail finally delivered mine today. Never had a mould with a handle on the sprue cutter. This should be interesting, going to clean and cast with it tomorrow. I got handles with it and they are nice, glad I got into the group by for them now.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I've noticed my sprue plate isn't fully closing. The only place I can see it rubbing is the piece of the lever that the bolt for the cutting lever goes through rubs on the back of the block. I attached a photo of it with the mould closed and a picture of the mark it's leaving. I'm not overly worried about it. This is only my second MP mould and 4th mould total, so I'm no casting master. Doesn't seem to affect casting quality though

In Remembrance

Take your sprue plate off completely.
    Use some metal type sanding paper ( Wet n Dry) on a very flat surface, and sand off the burrs from the bottom of the sprue cut off holes. In other words, sand the entire bottom surface of the sprue cut off plate until the burrs are gone. Re-install the sprue plate. Adjust the tension of the sprue plate screw so that the tension is right. The sprue plate should swing easily, but not be too loose. I like to coat the surface of the underside of the sprue cut off plate with some of that lube Miha sends in every shipment. A couple of drops on a "Q Tip" should be sufficient, and be enough to coat the whole underside on the plate, and also some on the sprue plate hinge pin, so it swings easily. You can also coat the top of the aluminum mold in the same way. BUT... to prevent any of the lube from getting into the cavities, fill the mold with lead, cut the sprue off, and do the swabbing while the cavities are still filled with lead.

Then, use a hey key, and loosen the stop screw near the handle end, and raise that up a bit, so that the top of the sprue cut off plate clears the underside of that stop screw. Then, retighten the locking set screw.

It's a minor adjustment thing. Knowing how many molds Miha makes, it's possible he assembled and adjusted yours one night when he was over tired.

BTW, you have the mold attached to the handle the way that I like to attach it. I like to open the sprue cut off plate by pushing on it with my thumbg. You have to have the mold pretty hot to do that. I don't hit the mold at all with anything. I tap lightly on the hinge screw for the handle to assist with opening the mold. The castings should fall easily from the mold without banging on anything. (and no smoking zone rules apply, wink)
    Last edited by DukeInFlorida; 01-26-2019 at 07:20 PM.

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

I'll do a little sanding and adjusting. Cold it's fine but I guess it's so tight that the expanding aluminum intetferes

In Remembrance

Yeah, in use the mold is far from COLD.
    So, there's always some tweaking to do on any mold, even the high quality ones. Normal.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyrum View Post
    I'll do a little sanding and adjusting. Cold it's fine but I guess it's so tight that the expanding aluminum intetferes

NRA Life Member

NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    Cast with the .320" first time yesterday. Had to run the mold HOT to get fill out. Good results. Itll be a next week for the other mold.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

USMC 77, USRA 79

Woooo Hooooo... I finally got mine... very purity... Shiney!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Hopefully 0.300 is on the menu next time.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567