Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionStainLess Steel Media
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersGraf & Sons

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: ACTIVE- MP-Molds - Shotshell BUCKSHOT mold

  1. #41
    Boolit Master RogerDat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Michigan Lansing Area
    Posts
    4,365
    Quote Originally Posted by karlB View Post
    I like to order two molds, one for reload 4 pellets per layer and one for 3 pellets, both with felt wad or wads without the "paddels".
    My calculation for the maximum diameter of one pellet is as followed:
    3 per layer: r=[2*sqrt(3)-3]*shell inner diameter = 0.4641 x 0.74 ~ 0.343 I decide 00 Buckshot

    4 per layer: r=[sqrt(2)-1]*shell inner diameter = 0.4142 x 0.74 ~ 0.3065
    Based on this the minimum shell inner diameter with 0.31 pallets is 0.7484, I guess this pellets will fit too tight. But I am sure that the 0.31 pellets will not fit in any wad with paddels.

    Thats why I would prefer a mold in 0.300

    I hope my english is good enough for understanding.
    I may be off in the weeds a bit but I think #1 buckshot you need to cut the petals off the wad and then they should fit 4 to a layer. I may have read someplace about doing a 3,1,3,1,3 stack to get a 1 oz. load. (11 to the oz.) but since I'm just getting into that size shot this is just research reading based but is reasonably fresh in my mind.
    Je suis Charlie
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this way of getting casting material somehow.
    Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat I do trade a bit from time to time.

  2. #42
    I'm A Honcho!

    DukeInFlorida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East and South of you
    Posts
    3,174
    I believe that you are on the correct path on this.
    I'm not an active reloader of shot shells (although my NRA certifications include TEACHING shot shell reloading), primarily because the cost of bags of lead shot outweigh the ability to purchase factory shells at a lower cost than making them. However, I am aware that many of the custom shot loads, especially "duplex" loads involving combinations of shot sizes with cardboard layers between them, require modifications of the plastic buffer wads being trimmed in the "petal" area. That's mostly done to allow the pellets to fit properly, and allowing the final weight of the projectiles (1 oz, or 1 1/8 oz, or more) to be correct for the powder load.

    So, karlB, maybe spend some time researching cutting the petals on the plastic wads, and seeing what sizes you might need for your duplex load. I added you to the #00 buckshot size. Let me know if there's an additional size mold you might desire.

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I may be off in the weeds a bit but I think #1 buckshot you need to cut the petals off the wad and then they should fit 4 to a layer. I may have read someplace about doing a 3,1,3,1,3 stack to get a 1 oz. load. (11 to the oz.) but since I'm just getting into that size shot this is just research reading based but is reasonably fresh in my mind.


    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

    Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER


  3. #43
    I'll take one of the #1, #00 and #000 w/ dhl shipping and handles

    Thank you,
    Chennings a t Gmail dot C0m 02113

  4. #44
    I'm A Honcho!

    DukeInFlorida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East and South of you
    Posts
    3,174
    Added, thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Cavemanr6 View Post
    I'll take one of the #1, #00 and #000 w/ dhl shipping and handles

    Thank you,
    Chennings a t Gmail dot C0m 02113


    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

    Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER


  5. #45
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeInFlorida View Post

    So, karlB, maybe spend some time researching cutting the petals on the plastic wads, and seeing what sizes you might need for your duplex load. I added you to the #00 buckshot size. Let me know if there's an additional size mold you might desire.
    In europe its easy and cheap to get your hands an plastc wads without petals, siarm for example.
    http://www.siarm.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id=1782

    The size I need is already calculated so I am still searching for a 0.300" mold, why its not possible to offer that size too?

    brunnerrene ....ATt.... h0Tmail .......d0T........ c0M (1pcs #00 with handles)

  6. #46
    I'm A Honcho!

    DukeInFlorida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East and South of you
    Posts
    3,174
    We're limiting this buy to the US standard Buck Shot sizes, #1, #0, #00, and #000. Those are sizes that many of our members would seek, both now, and in the future if another group buy is run for the same sizes.

    What this group buy is NOT is taking orders for a large variety of shot sizes where Miha would be programming the machining for virtually 1X custom molds. That's best left to someone else in the 1X custom mold business.

    Thanks for supplying the email address, and I have added that to your order for the #00 size. If you want tracking details when these molds ship, your postal code will allow us to provide you with that tracking detail.

    Quote Originally Posted by karlB View Post
    In europe its easy and cheap to get your hands an plastc wads without petals, siarm for example.
    http://www.siarm.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id=1782

    The size I need is already calculated so I am still searching for a 0.300" mold, why its not possible to offer that size too?

    brunnerrene ....ATt.... h0Tmail .......d0T........ c0M (1pcs #00 with handles)


    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

    Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER


  7. #47
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    21
    please add handles, i dont need tracking details, normal mail from slovenia will arrive 3 days later in austria.

  8. #48
    I'm A Honcho!

    DukeInFlorida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East and South of you
    Posts
    3,174
    Done. OK

    Quote Originally Posted by karlB View Post
    please add handles, i dont need tracking details, normal mail from slovenia will arrive 3 days later in austria.


    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

    Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER


  9. #49
    Boolit Master Ohio Rusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hocking County Ohio
    Posts
    764
    .310 is also the exact size ball that you use in the .32 caliber muzzleloader. The ball would have a dual purpose. After the moulds are sent out, I would like for one of the list members to cast me a handfull or two of the .310 round balls please .... pure lead for my .32. Thanks in advance.
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    Last edited by Ohio Rusty; Yesterday at 07:50 PM.
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check