Thread: RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Powder Scale and Dispenser

Boolit Buddy

RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Powder Scale and Dispenser

is it worth the investment
    1 yes
    2 no
    thanks rrh

Boolit Master
    To my way of thinking,it is the single best piece of reloading equipment I have ever bought.

Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    To my way of thinking,it is the single best piece of reloading equipment I have ever bought.
    This! It is fantastic, and coupled with my RCBS turret press, it gives me exactly how much powder I want, when I want it.

Boolit Master

it is not a cheap item, but having mine now for a good 10yrs, i have no regrets with its purchase.

Boolit Master
    I am going to follow this thread with interest because I am considering buying an automated powder dispenser.
    The comments will be useful data points towards my decision.

Boolit Grand Master

Worth every penny and then some. The parameter list is available online if you want to modify how it works. I know there have been videos posted of it drifting. But I use it for rifle rounds where a few tenths drift aren’t going to create a dangerous situation. And for what it’s worth, I haven’t had this issue w/ mine.

Boolit Bub
    I agree that it is worth every penny. I use it for all rifle rounds, most revolver rounds, and for all load development. Here is the link for reprogramming: https://www.primalrights.com/library...gemaster-combo

Boolit Grand Master

When I was working, I worked 2 very demanding jobs. My free time was really scarce or I was extremely tired when I was off. The Chargemaster helped me to get to hunt a few more days or to shoot in a few more matches just because it was faster and easier than dipping and weighing charges.

With some powders mine will attempt to trickle the last part of the charge and a clump of powder will fall out causing an over charge. The machine alerts you to this along with displaying the weight. This can be overcome by simply adding a short piece of a McDonalds drinking straw to the spout. There are also instructions on the web on how to reprogram the parameters that it works at. I've never felt the need to reprogram but the straw works well. Overall, I really like this machine and would buy it again.

Boolit Master

I like it. It works for me. It does on occasion overcharge a case, BUT if you are paying attention like you should be you will see it and hear it.

Boolit Master

I love my Chargemaster lite, its about 100+ cheaper and if you get it at brownells.com you'll get a lifetime warranty.

Boolit Master
    Can't imagine how I ever lived without one. I use it for everything, except small charges of Bullseye. I have a Uniflow and two Hollywood dispensers, set up for those.

Winelover

A good friend who mentored me in reloading and casting, told me he had finally purchased an automatic dispenser. He raved about how much it streamlined reloading small batches of rounds when he had his Dillon set up for other calibers. I am in the same boat all the time, running large quantities of one caliber on the Dillon, but needing to doing only 50 rounds of something else. Gun Test magazine did a review of RCBS Charge master Lite, Hornady, and Lyman auto dispensers. The RCBS was the winner. A week later I got an email alert from MidwayUSA for a deal on the 1500 ($90 off if I remember). The stars all aligned! Wonderful unit!!
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

I bought my 1500 from cabela’s on sale for $269.00. When I got to the cash register, it rang up $389.00. The lady talked to the manager and they gave me the sale price because they didn’t change the price on the shelf. I had missed the sale by one day!

My biggest complaint is the auto zero “feature”. I don’t like things changing without me knowing.

Wish I knew what perimeter could turn it off.

Boolit Master
    My charge master does the same as in the video using 2 tenths of a grain. If I use 3 tenths of a grain it does not go back to zero.It shows 3 tenths and then take the pan off and empty it and put it back on it will then show zero.Does your charge master work right if you use 3 tenths or heavier?

Boolit Buddy

I had one for a long time (bought mine shortly after they first came out), and actually just sold it last week from lack of use (haven't used it in over a year). I got sick of all the overweight charges; to the point that when I did use it I actually set the target weight for .3-.5 grains under my desired load and then used the "trickle" button. I hand weight all my rifle rounds other then 300 BO, and mainly used it with Varget and reprogrammed it and added the straw long ago and still never was totally satisfied. I actually found it quicker to dispense a charge from my Hornady dispenser into the pan and then with the pan on the scale trickle the last grain myself. I have the trickler set up right over the pan so it goes quick. The one thing the CM1500 had speed wise was that I could seat a bullet while I was waiting for it to dispense the next load. But since my meter dumped almost the whole charge as fast as I can swing the arm I think it was still faster than the Chargemaster. It boils down to your loading style and personal preference, for me swapping out the Chargemaster for an RCBS 10-10 scale and trickler works.

I am still in love with mine, Last year I added the straw to the dispensing tube and it made a huge difference. Is a You Tube on that and how to speed it up in the programming

Boolit Man
    I love mine. I bought the brass insert deal off 6BR from the get go and have virtually no issues on over charges to speak of. I like dispensing and seating at the same time plus for ladders it beats trickling all to heck.

Greg
    The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

Boolit Master
    I even use mine with BP it works great. I have a second 1500 scale to confirm weights.

Easily one of the best reloading items I have ever purchased. As long as I keep it away from the A/C vent, it works better than I ever could have hoped. If I’m doing a large run of pistol ammo, my Dillon gets the work out. If I’m doing any rifle loads, to include my magnum revolver loads, the RCBS charge master gets set up and used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast