Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Old RCBS shellholder with large center hole

Old RCBS shellholder with large center hole

In decades gone by, RCBS shellholders had a center hole diameter of about 0.313", as opposed to the current 0.262". This might be going back to the days of the A2 press.

I have such a press with what might be the early primer arm assembly. Said assembly has a sleeve diameter of 0.282", which obviously won't fit through the modern shellholders. I prefer priming on this press, but only have the one shellholder.

Any chance readers here have the older shellholders (with the 0.313" centerhole) for .30-30 and .30-40 Krag? If you do, I'd be willing to swap for modern holders, or purchase out right. Other, older shellholder brands possibly had the larger center hole as well. I'm not particular as to brand, but this is a standard base that's fully compatible with modern holders.

Thanks
    PBSmith

Boolit Master
    If you have access to a lathe, they can be bored out with a carbide boring bar.

Boolit Grand Master

I've got a RCBS #2 shell holder with the larger hole that I would swap. Sending you a PM.

Boolit Master
    Many 1960s era RCBS and some other brands of shell holders are not heat treated. They can easily be opened up with a drill and reamer in a lathe.
    They are easy to test. Just strike the bottom edge with a smooth file.
    If the file grabs it is soft. If the file skids and does not cut it is heat treated.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Many 1960s era RCBS and some other brands of shell holders are not heat treated. They can easily be opened up with a drill and reamer in a lathe.
    They are easy to test. Just strike the bottom edge with a smooth file.
    If the file grabs it is soft. If the file skids and does not cut it is heat treated.
    That's it. The one old shellholder I have is not hardened, which explains why it's looking somewhat distressed.

Boolit Grand Master

Since I don't have a lathe handy, I would use a carbide burr or round stone in a Dremel tool...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I have an old Bonanza press that need larger priming hole. Years ago I had a friend open a set of Lee shell holders to fit, he had a tough time and said they were hard. If I need one I don't have I have opened up one with a Dremel tool and a round rock, just take care not to get it to large. I annealed one but the Lee collet neck sizer eventually deformed it.

Boolit Master
    Numrich may have some of the shell holders in question.I bought some from them several years ago.