WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Mr. Dove, need a mattress?

Boolit Master

Mr. Dove, need a mattress?

The county has a repository for all the signs that get picked up along the road that make great target/pattern boards. Laid a lot of politicians low over the years (I love election signs!). This pattern is what Burke Co. GA doves have to look forward to Saturday, Lord willing. 1 oz. # 8 1/2 shot from 20 ga. Rem. 1100 IC @ 35 yds.
    One of the joys of reloading is the satisfaction of discovering the perfect load for your gun. If you don't pattern your loads you really should, as your guns don't read loading manuals and all loads are not created equal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	226184
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

The hillbilly’s around here tend to use stop signs ! It is amazing to me we are the only one of the 48 that can’t hunt doves. It hasn’t even come up as a ballot proposal in like 14-15 years. But being a grouse and wood cock and pheasant hunter I totally agree that patterning scatter guns is every bit as important as sighting in a rifle. It’s the only true tale of the tape; the only sure measurement

Boolit Master
    I have about 150 rounds of 10 gauge 2 7/8" loaded with 1 1/8 ounces of #8's and pushed with 18.8 grains of Red Dot . This equates into a mild 12 gauge dove load in my 10 gauge short chamber guns .

Anyway for about the fourth time today I went out and shot two rounds of skeet with my circa 1891 Parker EH 10 gauge that has factory 28" barrels choked cylinder and light modified and broke 48 out of 50 missing a low 5 and a low 6 in the first round . I was pleased the three previouse times I shot two rounds with the gun I broke 45 each time .

And while I didn't pattern that gun today with #8 birdshot I did pattern it earlier with 0000 Buck , 630 grain slugs and 730 grain slugs .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post

And while I didn't pattern that gun today with #8 birdshot I did pattern it earlier with 0000 Buck , 630 grain slugs and 730 grain slugs .
    730g slug? How dang big are the doves in VA?

BB

Boolit Buddy
    No dove hunting in Maine either.

Boolit Grand Master
    I probably won't make the dove opener on Saturday, I am still kinda weak from hospitalization/recovery and don't want to push things. Another factor at play is that the dove opener corresponds with Labor Day Weekend, and I want NO PART of driving during that time if I can avoid it. All the best to those who are going afield!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    730g slug? How dang big are the doves in VA?

BB
    Gotta get that one ready for deer season as well now ! I’ll be out of the country 10-10-18 thru 11-5-18 . I suspect with that 28” EH I may wanna plunk Mr deer with 0000 Buckshot as I’ve yet to plunk one with that . Killed one last year with one of your 630 grainers as well as the Rooskie 730 grainers .

HT,

You cleaning or cooking dove breasts tonight? I hope you had a fine opening weekend.

BB

Boolit Master

Flash: Russians doing something to our doves! The talk amongst us die hard dove hunters is really strange. Seems there are plenty of birds around various fields (my son watched an estimated 400 pile into our 13 acres of millet yesterday) but no-shows on shoot day. The ones killed have empty craws. Maybe PITA has new ray guns that confuse birds and send them fleeing. Is there a new dove diet fad? Dunno, we are stumped but have several weeks yet and still plenty of shells.
    Leonard Ravenhill

HT,

If you still have your BB gun from 1960, drive up to my place and shoot them off the fence posts and overhead electric wires.

BB

Boolit Master
    Darn farmers here planted corn late and very very few fields have been cut here ��

Boolit Master

Did manage 12 today. Changed to modified choke in the 20 after the first few seemed to enjoy teasing me about 40 yds. Son killed limit without a miss, did have to shoot a couple twice, clearly boy was raised right. Grandson got 7 so he's cleaning.
    Leonard Ravenhill