MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cast boolits on pronghorn

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I don't like putting water into the body cavity of an animal. In all but the coldest conditions, it will cause bacteria growth, much faster than the blood left in the cavity. Blood in fact is beneficial, as a layer of it will dry, forming a crust, and keep more moisture in the meat. The only times I have water cooled game, is elk in early archery season, to keep the meat from souring. And I sure wouldn't care to put an antelope in the water on the east side of Montana! Between the mud, and alkali in the water, it just doesn't seem like a good combination!
    A lot of times you can peel the blood off after it hardens and before you butcher.
    +2 on our water being undrinkable in many places E of the Divide. Visibility on the upper Missouri never gets much better than 18". Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

i bet you remember when if you saw anything other than a rabbit in either
    cedar valley or skull valley, you told at least 3 people about it.
    nice lope there, good shooting.

You used the old 454 the way I really like to. Moderate velocity with relatively low pressure. I use the similar combo with a RCBS-270-SAA going a little slower than yours. Makes it easy to dump them when I got it hollow pointed.

Great shooting! and congratulations on your first handgun kill. Just got my first last year as well.

Nice shot nice animal

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    That's one reason I hate California deer season that's on right now up here.

It's to warm. You can't get the animal cooled down and processed well unless you have a walkin fridge.

Spoiled meat is spoiled meat. I won't hunt in this summer like weather.
    I pack dry ice when I go hunting down here in AZ.

Banned

Good idea. I've never used dry ice.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I don't like putting water into the body cavity of an animal. In all but the coldest conditions, it will cause bacteria growth, much faster than the blood left in the cavity. Blood in fact is beneficial, as a layer of it will dry, forming a crust, and keep more moisture in the meat. The only times I have water cooled game, is elk in early archery season, to keep the meat from souring. And I sure wouldn't care to put an antelope in the water on the east side of Montana! Between the mud, and alkali in the water, it just doesn't seem like a good combination!

Please note that I wasn't suggesting dragging the game to a watering hole and dumping it in! I was talking about using water taken from your home (that would be consumable by you). The biggest thing is propping the body cavity open. Makes a big difference in cooling it down. We've hunted antelope from 60 degrees down to near 0. All game is processed within 48 hours after kill.

Boolit Master
    Just curious, why is it so hard to get a pronghorn tag in Utah? Is that the case in other states as well? Sounds like there are a lot of animals in your area. Given that fact, why do they make it so difficult for you to hunt?
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Generous Donator
    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    Just curious, why is it so hard to get a pronghorn tag in Utah? Is that the case in other states as well? Sounds like there are a lot of animals in your area. Given that fact, why do they make it so difficult for you to hunt?
    I don’t know. The Fish & Game Dept. has allowed the over hunting of mule deer here until now it’s rare to see a decent buck outside of the few limited entry areas. Why they are under hunting pronghorn is a mystery to me.

I have noticed that antelope have been increasing very rapidly in this area and possibly the Fish & Game people just haven’t reacted quickly to that fact.