Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxPBcastco
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muley with the 45

Boolit Master

++ on enjoying the write-up on the hunting exploits of sixshot. Good photos and great stories. Thanks for the information on the walking sticks. They look like they would be very handy to take along as a steady rest for the shooter and/or the sixgun (rifle too). I am thinking of putting one of these on my take-a-long list of equipment. From the pictures it appears the top diameter is about 2"? Thanks again and keep those stories coming.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Good shooting Sixshot!! Couple questions: why is the hair rubbed off on the deer in places? Also you mentioned this was a "depredation hunt"... what does that mean?

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Good shooting Sixshot!! Couple questions: why is the hair rubbed off on the deer in places? Also you mentioned this was a "depredation hunt"... what does that mean?

Stuart
    I am not whom you asked the question to but, I will take a "shot" at the hair rubbed off. The deer are a "brownish" color in the summer and "greyish" in the winter. The deer is shedding. The depredation hunt seems to be when too many deer are doing too much damage to crops or other on the farms. The hunt reduces their numbers to satisfy landowners. There you are Stuart, maybe these answers will work til somthin better comes along.

Boolit Master
    Stuart, OldBearHair, nailed it. The deer are in transition right now, going from their light red summer coat to their more gray fall color.
    Many land owners that have irrigated crops in remote, dry areas draw wild life like a magnet. These areas aren't fenced or if they are fenced it's a 4 strand barb wire fence that even a 4 month old fawn can jump over. Now, an interesting thing for many of you is that an antelope won't normally jump a fence, they crawl under them. I should have taken some photo's of some of the many places where I could clearly see where antelope were crossing under the fences, I'll do it next trip. If a person were in trouble & didn't have a gun it would be possible to actually snare an antelope at one of these many crossings where they move from one property to another or head to water.
    Several times over the years I've watched antelope at a full run come to a fence and in only a couple of seconds glide right under & be up & running full speed, pretty impressive to watch if you've never seen it happen.

Dick

Boolit Master

BOY HOWDY!

That was quite the Excellent shot. Congratulations.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Good shooting, excellent write up.

Took this from www.answers.com White-tailed deer actually have more hair per square inch in the summer than in the winter! For protection against the cold, each hair on a deer's winter coat is hollow - like a tiny straw, which holds insulating air next to the body. These hairs are therefore more substantial than the thinner summer hair. So a white-tailed deer's in winter is thicker because each hair is thicker, not because there are more hairs. But this collection of fat, hollow hairs certainly help them survive the cold of winter.

Boolit Man
    I am really enjoying your stories.

Is the bullet you are using gas checked? Also, where did you find the new lanyard for your shooting stick?

Thanks.

Boolit Master

great thread

Sixshot, could you tell me about your front sight? I have the same Ruger and I need a taller sight to use the Keith 275gr. bullet . Thanks for sharing you experience with us on this site.

Boolit Master
    The lanyard is the lacing from an old pair of boots, I need to shorten it a bit but haven't done it yet. The fiber optic sight is one that we make for the pinned sighted guns, works great. I have them in both red & green. I've sold them for several years.

Dick

Boolit Man
    Thank you for the tip on the lanyard.

Can you give me details on your bullet? Hardness, gas checked, etc.

Thank you in advance.

Boolit Master
    That's a plain base, powder coated bullet, I seldom use a gas check. After heat treating a powder coated bullet they usually come out about a 9-11 BHN but you can run them faster than a lubed bullet because the powder coating protects them. If you need them harder you can water quench right out of the toaster oven, I don't.

Dick

Boolit Man
    Excellent,

Thanks. I have a bunch of MBC 255 grain Keith type bullets that are 18BNH. I have used only 15 grains of 2400 so far but wanted to boost that up a bit to 18 or 19 grains.

I appreciate the details.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    I am not whom you asked the question to but, I will take a "shot" at the hair rubbed off. The deer are a "brownish" color in the summer and "greyish" in the winter. The deer is shedding. The depredation hunt seems to be when too many deer are doing too much damage to crops or other on the farms. The hunt reduces their numbers to satisfy landowners. There you are Stuart, maybe these answers will work til somthin better comes along.
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Stuart, OldBearHair, nailed it. The deer are in transition right now, going from their light red summer coat to their more gray fall color.
    Many land owners that have irrigated crops in remote, dry areas draw wild life like a magnet. These areas aren't fenced or if they are fenced it's a 4 strand barb wire fence that even a 4 month old fawn can jump over. Now, an interesting thing for many of you is that an antelope won't normally jump a fence, they crawl under them. I should have taken some photo's of some of the many places where I could clearly see where antelope were crossing under the fences, I'll do it next trip. If a person were in trouble & didn't have a gun it would be possible to actually snare an antelope at one of these many crossings where they move from one property to another or head to water.
    Several times over the years I've watched antelope at a full run come to a fence and in only a couple of seconds glide right under & be up & running full speed, pretty impressive to watch if you've never seen it happen.

Dick
    Thank you to both of you!

Boolit Bub
    Nice! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good story and good shot!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12