RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muley with the 45

Boolit Master

Muley with the 45

Took this muley doe today with my Ruger Bisley 45 & the grand old 260 gr Keith with 18.5 grs of 2400. This load has been a long time favorite for decades, not only for me but for many lovers of the fine 45 caliber six guns.
    Again, this was a depredation hunt, only today the deer were really jumpy, it was easy to see that they had been hunted pretty hard since I had been here last. Every deer I spotted was up & running, this wasn't going to be easy. Plus there weren't as many deer as before, somebody had pressured them pretty good & many of the brushy draws were empty, the heavy cockle burr patches where I had hunted before only held 2-3 deer & they were up & running as soon as I got close.
    I got off the 4 wheeler & walked some new areas & did jump some deer but again they were up & running as soon as they sensed danger (me) & they never stopped to look back. AS mentioned my belt gun today was my Bisley 45, a gun & caliber that I dearly love. I've taken lots of game with the 45 including 4 elk, the 45 is a proven game getter, with correct loads it takes a back seat to nothing.
    My second gun as usual was my scoped 357 Maximum 10.5" gun, it's been with me on every trip & not once has it been out of the Barranti shoulder rig. I thought today I might have to use it the way things started out, this was turning into another sweaty, dirty, smoky (fires) in your face grind.
    I made a 4-5 mile swing & the only thing I spotted was 7-8 antelope going top speed across a section of short Alfalfa. Watching antelope is one of my favorite things to do but you have to do it quick, these 80-90 lb Ballistic Missles can change zip codes in 90 seconds so you can't take your eyes off them or they are out of sight in a hurry.
    I decided to leave the area I had been hunting & go into some border line cover that was close by & I had seen deer there in past years. There is a place where they have used a bull dozer to push up a long dirt bank, probably to stop erosion. This spot has a bunch of rock & Sagebrush grown in & is about 10-15 yds wide with CRP on one side & a harvested grain field on the other. You will see a photo of the end of it about the 4th photo. It's wider further back.
    As I ease along going slow I have my walking stick in my left hand & the bottom resting on my left foot board. You will see a couple of photo's of it also. After about 200 yds I spot a deer sneaking through the very tall (4-5 feet) Sagebrush moving away from me but not running. I stop & run my left wrist through the leather loop on my walking stick as I draw the Bisley 45 from my strong side Barranti rig, the same rig I wore when I shot the antelope. With my left wrist through the loop I had to twist it 3-4 times to get my wrist high enough & then I could get both hands on the gun. This is a very steady hold, one I've used many times but never while sitting on the 4 wheeler.
    I finally spot the deer & it's partially hidden by some Sagebrush but not enough that I can't get a bullet in there. The doe is facing to my left as I settle the "Sixshot" fiber optic sight on the rib cage & start my squeeze. At the shot the deer drops & 3 other deer take off to my left out into the CRP on a hard run. I wait 3-4 seconds & see my deer get up & take 8-10 steps out into the stubble & drop.
    The big Keith slug had broke the left front leg, hit the heart & one lung & exited, it never gets old with a six gun, ever, doing it with the grand old 45 brings back a lot of memories, all of them good. I ranged the shot after I pulled the trigger which is how it works out many times. Sometimes I can range an animal before the shot but many times it just doesn't work out that way, like on the antelope, I misjudged it bad but the flat shooting gun bailed me out. The shot was 58 yds using my walking stick as a rest. You see the gun in my left hand but that's just for the photo. I almost always shoot right handed.

Dick
    Last edited by sixshot; 08-27-2018 at 01:51 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome !!! I bought a Ruger Bisley when they first came out and the "Keith Load"/ bullet is My all time favorite as well. Thank for the post.

Boolit Master

Good work.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Great write up on a hard hunt. It must be tough to hunt in such open areas.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I hava a similar alpenstock. Good shooting, congrats on your sucess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

When I grow up I want to be like Sixshot.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Thanks for sharing! I love a good hunting story well told and you sure delivered!

Boolit Grand Master

Sixshot;
    I thoroughly enjoyed your essay! It took me back to my deer hunting days. I have a Ruger Bisley SS.45 ACP/.45 Colt Convertible that I really enjoy. However, my deer hunting days were behind me before I got it (just too old and decrepit to drag in a deer these days). All of my deer were taken with my .44 Magnum revolvers.

After reaming both undersize cylinders throats, my revolver shoots extremely well with either cylinder. I have become enamored of the RCBS .45-270-SAA cast bullet (my mold is a Mihec that produces a 285 gr. bullet in my alloy). That is what I would use if I still hunted. I have shot the Keith 452424 a good bit, tho', with excellent results. I have used it as a trail load ahead of 8.5 grs. of Unique.

At any rate, thanks for the essay, as I say I REALLY enjoyed it!

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Sweet...I was waiting to see the heart and the I scrolled down and then I see a hole through a liver? It was dead where it stands but didnt know it. They seem to travel a little farther with bow shots for me when just the heart it only one lung was hit or even alit farther with a liver shot. Dead all the same. Nice shot. I'm sure you saved some meat with a low hit and not a center mass shot as well.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-27-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    good shot and a great story thanks for sharing

Boolit Master

I always like you pics and write ups. Thanks.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    Love these stories! Open country hunting with a revolver. My favorite thing to do. Good job!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I always like you pics and write ups. Thanks.
    Yep!

The Master at work!

X3 sixshot Well done

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys! Today my knees are screaming, I need to take a little break from these side hills & cockle burr patches. Funny thing is, it's just as hard going down hill as it is up hill, go figure.
    I put a new lanyard on this old walking stick, didn't want to scratch up my new one & the lanyard is too long. I had to twist my wrist maybe 5 times to get the gun high enough to have a steady rest but this is a good way to go if any of you use them. I've also used it on elk.
    That 270 gr SAA bullet you mention is a dandy, I have it in a Miha mould that also makes it into a HP but I decided to use my old favorite on this trip, Elmer would be happy.

Dick

Moderator Emeritus

Nice shooting and write up. This looks to me like country W of the Great Salt Lake that I have not rambled through since I was a teen. Did your walking stick start out as a shovel handle? It looks great with a nice tight grain and gives me ideas.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    No, its actually laminated & came from Boyds Gunstocks, maker of riflestocks but I don't think they make them anymore. This one has been in the water & snow so much all the finish is worn off, I need to refinish it. I'll post a photo of my other one. Had 3 of them but I finally broke one. They are really nice, wish they still made them.

Dick

Moderator Emeritus

How long are they?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Sorry, I promised you a photo & didn't get it done, I'll do it tomorrow! I remember now about you saying you use to live down in this area, maybe around Salt Lake, etc. I've got to get back up your way again & hunt those bouncy white tails, that's some fun stuff. We haven't been up there in about 3 years, too long!

OK, here's a photo of my 2 walking sticks, both are about 15 years old & they are 60" long & the newer looking one has the original leather loop they came with. I will be changing my old one today, it's way too long. They came with a rubber "foot" on the bottom.
    These wouldn't be hard to make if you had a wood lathe.

Dick
    Last edited by sixshot; 08-29-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Boolit Master

Another great write up of a great hunt and done with a revolver too!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast