RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good hunting round for 17 HMR

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by eck0313 View Post
    All of the groundhogs I’ve killed with the 17 HMR and 17 grain V-max bullets were DRT. Groundhogs are much harder to kill than rabbits. I suspect the subject rabbit was actually gut shot, and that is a marksmanship issue more than a cartridge or bullet failure. The only “guts” to blow out in “chest shot” is the heart, and lungs. No creature lasts long without those functioning. A gut shot is another story.

The 17’s (center fires also) can be very effective, in the hands of an accomplished marksman. They can also be tremendous wounders if used out of their performance windows, or by marginal marksmen.
    And now you are questioning my shooting. Not just guts, the thing blew the whole side of the rabbit open. You can cut it any way you want, the 17 grain V-max failed to penetrate through a rabbit.

Life's too short to be arguing over pointless ****. Please either make a reasonable recommendation or move along.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    Now it makes more sense. I was using the V-max for sure, but he also had a box with the TNT's. I think the Gamepoint is the way to go.

Boolit Buddy
    My “reasonable recommendation” is to use another cartridge. The 17s are not for everyone. “Body shot is good enough” doesn’t work for the 17s, rimfire or centerfire unless you are hunting ground squirrels.

It’s about making humane shots; with the .17s, some times you have to pass up marginal shots.

No offense intended.

It's the best for Cuervos in the Pecan orchard. Lots of Rio Grande turkeys fall to it in Texas every year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...0-boxes-of-50)

If the price is still good when my toy funded gets replenished I will order another 2K more but I am still more than willing to help any haters dispose of this awful ammo.
    Our local Bi-mart had the CCI A-17 stuff on sale for $29.99 per 200. Cheapest I've seen it anywhere. Am thinking that the ammo companies would be wise to offer a low velocity version of this round. This is what's needed to prevent excessive meat damage like the OP was asking about. Even toughening up a bullet won't be able to keep it from blowing apart things unless you can slow it down a tad.

Boolit Master
    Yep, like trying to use a Corvette to tow the bobcat trailer The 17 was designed to "blow things up" , little things, but still ��
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Our local Bi-mart had the CCI A-17 stuff on sale for $29.99 per 200. Cheapest I've seen it anywhere. Am thinking that the ammo companies would be wise to offer a low velocity version of this round. This is what's needed to prevent excessive meat damage like the OP was asking about. Even toughening up a bullet won't be able to keep it from blowing apart things unless you can slow it down a tad.
    They do it's called the 17 Mach 2 but it didn't sell well and the gun manufactures made the chambers too loose in the semi-auto's so neck and case splits are fairly common. I have several and really like them but I purchased 8K of ammo at a closeout for $2.39 a box.

No, the 17 HM2 isn't a low velocity 17 HMR. It is it's own little obsolete failure self. Newtire was asking for a slower HMR load for edible game.

Banned
    On another note, I have been considering the development of a 3.5mm round from a necked down 22 rim fire. Specifically for shooting ducks in the city. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    On another note, I have been considering the development of a 3.5mm round from a necked down 22 rim fire. Specifically for shooting ducks in the city. Any ideas?
    So- a 15 caliber?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    No, the 17 HM2 isn't a low velocity 17 HMR. It is it's own little obsolete failure self. Newtire was asking for a slower HMR load for edible game.

That would be my point. Consumers rejected lower velocity of the 17 HM2. A low velocity 17 HMR load would fair no better.

Boolit Master
    This is the 21st century, gotta be faster to be better! I liked the little hm2 but held off to see if it would live,, well it didn't. Would have been more useful to me than the hrm. Not to mention the Winchester offering, it really blows up stuff!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    The 17 HMR is an absolute staple for shooting gophers and prairie dogs here in the open west, the .22 LR wounds these pests and they die a lingering death in their holes. The HMR blows them up and kills instantly when these varmints are hit properly.

I still intend to rebarrel a 580/581 Remington to the .17 HMR someday one of these days. A simple accurate quiet for the country 200 yard rig for vermin.

Boolit Master
    I am thinking about getting a CZ455 varmint in 17 HMR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12