RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good hunting round for 17 HMR

Boolit Grand Master

Good hunting round for 17 HMR

I'll just start by saying I do not own a 17 HMR, and don't shoot rimfires often. I've shot plenty of rabbits and squirrels with 22 long rifle, pellet guns, even blow guns. Recently a couple family members ended up with rifes in 17 HMR. One I had been shooting at the range with, and it was surprisingly accurate. The thing that spooked me was when retreiving the 100 yard targets, the berm was pock marked with divots. The bullets had obviously came apart violently, and only penetrated 2-3". Today we had some rabbits eating in the garden, so I decided to try it out. I was given CCI 17 grain V-max's. I ended up shooting two. The first was a lucky head shot, the second was a chest shot, but it didn't kill it! The poor thing had actually dragged itself, guts and all about 20 yards on one lung, and was still kicking. The head shot left a bloody mess too. I can't say I've ever seen anything so pathetic as this. Even the old pump BB gun will go through a rabbit. Needless to say, we didn't eat the body shot one.

The gun was bought with the intention of shooting varmints as big as fox. Surely there is a bullet for 17 HMR capable of at least that. What do you guys use? Bonus points for a round that leaves something to eat.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot between 1,000 and 1,500 prairie dogs a year with the 17 grain V-max. They are very explosive and deadly on prairie dogs. Same for fox. I have taken 3 or 4 coyotes with them but I waited for the perfect broadside behind the shoulder lung shot and it was very effective. If I was hunting fox or coyote specifically with the 17 HMR I would use 20 Grain bullets

Boolit Grand Master

So the 20 grainers generally penetrate better? I see CCI has a gamepoint. It's at least comforting that it has a coyote on the box, rather than a firecracker. No way I'd ever shoot a 17 grain v-max at anything living again. There's just no excuse for that. It might make a good spectacle shooting oranges or other fruit, but when it can't go through a cottontail at 40 yards, there is problems.

Boolit Master
    I think that loan on penetration is by design, to reduce rickochets.
    I have one because I wound up with several boxes of ammo in a trade. Took it squirrel hunting twice, just too blasted loud for
    my tastes. It decapitated every squirrel I shot at but the woods went quiet for 20 minutes after every shot. Great arround the house for starlings and dillows,
    but when the ammos gone Ill trade the rifle off. For me, it's not very useful I'll stick with 22lr for my uses. Out west for small varmits it is probably the cats meow!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I think that loan on penetration is by design, to reduce rickochets.
    I have one because I wound up with several boxes of ammo in a trade. Took it squirrel hunting twice, just too blasted loud for
    my tastes. It decapitated every squirrel I shot at but the woods went quiet for 20 minutes after every shot. Great arround the house for starlings and dillows,
    but when the ammos gone Ill trade the rifle off. For me, it's not very useful I'll stick with 22lr for my uses. Out west for small varmits it is probably the cats meow!
    I can't agree more, 17 HMR is probably the most pointless cartridge I've ever came across. Why it's so popular is beyond me. For the price of ammo, just buy 17 hornet or one of the other centerfire versions.

That said, it's not my gun. The owner was rather disturbed after seeing me shoot that rabbit, and is hoping to find better ammo. As I said, he meant it for varmints up to fox size. I said just go back to 22LR, but he likes his 17.

It is a low noise, low ricochet high accuracy round that is very useful for varmint control. With all due respect if you shoot a rabbit with a blow gun, the .17 shouldn't bother you at all. Use head shots on the edible animals and lung shots otherwise. I've used one on turtles up to dog packs and it WORKS. Ymmv.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    It is a low noise, low ricochet high accuracy round that is very useful for varmint control. With all due respect if you shoot a rabbit with a blow gun, the .17 shouldn't bother you at all. Use head shots on the edible animals and lung shots otherwise. I've used one on turtles up to dog packs and it WORKS. Ymmv.

I agree 100%. As I stated before I shoot about a 1,000 rounds a year of 17 HMR and specifically 17 gain V-Max. 99.5% of these are at live game. I find it to be very effective and deadly. I have been shooting it at these levels for at least 12 years. Mostly at prairie dogs but it has proven to be effective on crows, jack rabbits, fox, badger, racoon and coyotes. I do believe it is pushing the limit on coyotes with the 17 grain V-max but with a broadside lung shot have I have not lost one. The low noise and lack of ricochets is a hug plus for prairie dogs. Frankly I love the 17 HMR for what and how I use it. For edible game I would think the 17 grain V-max is to destructive but I have never used it for that.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

Ok, so you guys are definitely using something other than what I did. Low noise is not what I would describe it at all, I was actually surprised how loud it was. Louder than a shotgun for sure. The gun was an H&R, maybe an 18" barrel. If I get back there, I'll post a picture of the box of ammo. It said high velocity, I think it had a picture of dynamite on it. I'm pretty sure it was CCI. All I know for sure is that it was a 17 grain V-max bullet, and did not penetrate though a cottontail broadside. They are maybe 4" thick. A blowgun dart goes all the way through, and so does a pellet, even a steel BB. Maybe the 17 grain is just enough, but the owner is looking for something that will penetrate deeper. Are of the 20 grain bullets a safe bet, or are they fragmenting too?

Boolit Grand Master

Noise is relative. Louder than 22 for sure but way quieter than my 22 Hornet or a .223. Same for my buddies 17 Hornet. He loves his HMR as much as I do, but, he sold the 17 Hornet. 90% as loud as the 223 and a lot less performance. The 17 HMR allows for a lot more shots of prairie dogs under a 125 yards without spooking them than the .223 would.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-28-2018 at 11:03 AM.

The Hornady 20 grain xtp rounds maybe a good choice. I have not used any.

Boolit Grand Master

After doing a little more reading, Hornady advertises their 20 grain XTP as having "dramatic expansion". CCI on the other hand advertises their 20 grain gamepoint as having deep penetrating, to save meat. I have no idea if they are sold around here, but I'll let him know to keep an eye out for them, or at least a 20 grain version.

Boolit Master
    ive got 2 17's a savage bull barrel rifle and a bolt action pistol I bought to squirrel and rabbit hunt with,i haven't shot either at a animal but am thinking I might should go back to my 22lr and 22 magnum after reading this post

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    ive got 2 17's a savage bull barrel rifle and a bolt action pistol I bought to squirrel and rabbit hunt with,i haven't shot either at a animal but am thinking I might should go back to my 22lr and 22 magnum after reading this post
    If you already own it, try it. Just don't use a 17 grain V-max. Wear ear plugs though. The rifle made my ears ring for a while, I can only imagine a handgun.

Boolit Grand Master

For all the folks hating on the 17 grain V-max you want to sell me some cheap??????? I was down to 1,500 so I ordered 4,000 mores since its been awhile since I seen this good of price. https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...0-boxes-of-50)

If the price is still good when my toy funded gets replenished I will order another 2K more but I am still more than willing to help any haters dispose of this awful ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

If I owned a 17 HMR, you would get first dibs. I'm not here to tell you what to do, I'm asking advice on what ammo to get for more penetration for 17 HMR. The 17 grain V-max is not it. It clearly works for you, so you are not the one to answer my question.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-28-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Ok, now you are just being a jerk. I DO NOT OWN, AND WILL NEVER OWN A 17 HMR! Quit trying to sell me on one. You don't need my approval to keep shooting your 17 grain v-max, and I will never shoot them again.

Boolit Grand Master

Not trying to sell you on one, however, maybe you should reconsider shouting from the roof top about what a *** they are without any real experience. The 17 HMR became wildly popular based on it's performance. Maybe your question should be why your limited experience with the 17 HMR is so different than most?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Not trying to sell you on one, however, maybe you should reconsider shouting from the roof top about what a *** they are without any real experience. The 17 HMR became wildly popular based on it's performance. Maybe your question should be why your limited experience with the 17 HMR is so different than most?
    It was a frickin rabbit!!! If it won't go through that, it is completely, utterly garbage! My question was, what bullet in 17 HMR will penetrate through small game up to a fox? You have completely de-railed my thread, and I never got an answer. Just a hint that maybe the 20 grain offerings are better, maybe not.

I thank you Texas by God and rking22 for the thoughtful answers.

Boolit Buddy
    All of the groundhogs I’ve killed with the 17 HMR and 17 grain V-max bullets were DRT. Groundhogs are much harder to kill than rabbits. I suspect the subject rabbit was actually gut shot, and that is a marksmanship issue more than a cartridge or bullet failure. The only “guts” to blow out in “chest shot” is the heart, and lungs. No creature lasts long without those functioning. A gut shot is another story.

The 17’s (center fires also) can be very effective, in the hands of an accomplished marksman. They can also be tremendous wounders if used out of their performance windows, or by marginal marksmen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast