WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Suppresor suggestions

Suppresor suggestions

I am as green as they come when talking cans.
    That being said, this is where I want to start. Ruger American Ranch in 300blk and a Ruger PC 9 carbine.
    Both are 1/2" 28 threads to my knowledge.
    I want to shoot cast, can it be lubed or does it need to be PC only?
    I heard that cans without baffles are better?
    Give me some facts and brand names to check out please.
    Thanks for your help.
    Waco.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

I have a can on order that is currently in prison but I hear both they do have to be PCed and they don’t. I plan on lubing and gas checking for my 300blk and cleaning every few hundred rounds. The main thing is to get a user serviceable can. The Mystic X by liberty suppressors is very popular but I ordered mine from Joe who runs a small suppressor business called Curtis Tactical. If you use Facebook messenger at all he will reply within a few minutes and gives a good military discount. Great guy I’ve spent a couple hours on the phone with him just BSing about the projects we’re both working on, after shop hours of course. He also does gunsmithing and builds some extremely nice rifles both suppressed and not. All of his cans are user serviceable(meaning you can take em apart). Tell him Brian Hancock sent you from the CB forum, he will set you up right.

Quote Originally Posted by sutherpride59 View Post
    I have a can on order that is currently in prison but I hear both they do have to be PCed and they don’t. I plan on lubing and gas checking for my 300blk and cleaning every few hundred rounds. The main thing is to get a user serviceable can. The Mystic X by liberty suppressors is very popular but I ordered mine from Joe who runs a small suppressor business called Curtis Tactical. If you use Facebook messenger at all he will reply within a few minutes and gives a good military discount. Great guy I’ve spent a couple hours on the phone with him just BSing about the projects we’re both working on, after shop hours of course. He also does gunsmithing and builds some extremely nice rifles both suppressed and not. All of his cans are user serviceable(meaning you can take em apart). Tell him Brian Hancock sent you from the CB forum, he will set you up right.
    Thank you Sir!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Master
    Only two of mine, my .22 and my 12 gauge are servicable. I agree that when running lead, one you can disassemble is a good idea. The manufacturers of mine do not recommend lead but I have shot a lot of PC thru them. Especially my Silencerco Hybrid which will handle everything from 9mm to 45-70.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The Mystic would be my recommendation, as it's easily serviceable. There are other 9mm cans that would work for both, but few are user serviceable, which means lead dust from unjacketed or lead-base bullets would build up in the baffles. You don't need to clean very often at all, although if you decide to shoot .22s through it you will get more buildup faster.

Boolit Master
    I have read about and saw on YouTube more people using suppressors. Has the federal law on the owning and the use of suppressor's changed. Or have more people been applying for and receiving the stamp.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master

No the wait times have significantly shorter, Plus there’s a new political atmosphere. I personally was on the fence between a supressornfor my 30 cal or an Air Force Texan SS, the supressor won lol.
    Last edited by sutherpride59; 08-27-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    [...] I heard that cans without baffles are better? [...]
    My first few suppressors have baffles & I have been very pleased with them - especially with regards to low FRP (first-round-pop).
    A subsequent suppressor purchase was a monocore design, and I was rather surprised how noisy it was with regards to FRP.

Subsequent reading has reinforced my experience along these lines - IMO the importance of low FRP cannot be overstated; and would be key to any of my future purchases.

Hope this helps,

Boolit Master
    I have the titanium version on the mystic, it is a great can for a 9mm carbine.

I keep hearing people say good things about Dead Air cans. Their 9mm can is modular so you can reduce size if you want to for pistol use. I have touched one, but haven’t shot it.

Boolit Master

You should double check the threads, normally calibers those sizes are larger than 1/2" 28. I have one 30 caliber can and one large enough for 9mm and rated for 300 WM in jail waiting for the ATF now. Both are 5/8 24. The 30 caliber one I use on my 300 BO AR and encore pistol.

Boolit Master

I have a Rebel SOS hunter for my .300 blackout. I have run several hundred rounds of PCd cast through it without a problem. It's a stackable design that makes cleaning very easy. A light coat of Frog Lube on the inside makes it even easier. It practically wipes clean. The price is good too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Ruger American Ranch in 300blk and a Ruger PC 9 carbine.
    Both are 1/2" 28 threads to my knowledge.
    The will be 5/8" x 24. The .223 will be 1/2 x 28.

So do suppressor companies make adapters to switch from one thread size to another?

Boolit Master
    Some companies make silencers that are compatible with various calibers. The Silencerco hybrid 46 is supposedly good for anything from 9mm to 45-70. You just have to buy a $70 piston for each of the different calibers you plan on using.

I have an AAC Illusion for 9mm and it's threads are 1/2 x 28 and this is the most common setup. I've used this a couple times on my Ruger 22/45. I wouldn't want to shoot a bunch of lubed bullets through it without cleaning it regularly.

I've a couple, both are serviceable one is 9mm and other is 9-45. Both have 1/2 28 threads, one a replaceable insert you can change. My 9mm use that thread. My 300BO has 5/8 threads. I have an adapter I use for it. Has worked fine, as it is way smaller bullet than the 9mm or 45. But isn't something that is recommended. If the inserts are replaceable get one. Also, there are springs used to make semi pistols operate correctly, rifle needs solid insert.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The will be 5/8" x 24. The .223 will be 1/2 x 28.
    PC9 is 1/2x28 per RUGER

Colt's 9mm is 1/2x36

9's can be 1/2 x whatever so can the 300 blackouts it does not need the 5/8 x 24

The hydrid is available with a qd back plate that uses their muzzle brakes. I prefer to use it as it doesn't matter what the barrel thread diameter or pitch is if you want to swap it between guns. the downside is that you will need to put a $75 (wait for them to go on sale) brake for each barrel. It is nice though because the qd mount has a ratchet mechinism in it to keep the suppressor from vibrating loose.

Boolit Buddy
    My 30 cal can is a Dead Air Sandman Ti. It is 5/8-24 and I have an adapter to run it on my 5.56 AR and 700 bolt gun in 223. It works great on the 300 BLK SBR with 240 gr PC bullets. I also had a Ruger 77 barrel threaded for it. I am still impressed with the ability to shoot 22-250 comfortably without ear plugs.

My other cans are AAC Tirant 9, Tirant 45, and Element 2 rimfire. I can and do run the 45 can on 9mm. This allows me to shoot a pistol and the 9 SBR in the same range session without constantly moving one can to different guns. So far I have been shooting plated 9mm and 45 bullets but I am just about to try cast PC for them. PC works great in the 300 so I do not see why it should not work in the pistol cans. I would stay away from conventional lube and molycoat.