Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Remington Model 6 project

Boolit Master

Remington Model 6 project

I bought a new project this week, a model 6 with a pristine receiver and a messed up barrel. The mounting screw boss is damaged, been repaired, and needs more fixing. At present, the bore is not great, but shootable, and finding another barrel would be the easiest solution. I’ve also thought about getting a second Breech block and setting it up for shotgun primer propelled pellets, making a dedicated barrel from scratch on that one.

The Model 6 and Model 4 takedowns are probably the easiest to rebarrel of all the Remington singles. A good donor barrel from almost any .22 RF can be turned down and made to fit the gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    The Model 6 and Model 4 takedowns are probably the easiest to rebarrel of all the Remington singles. A good donor barrel from almost any .22 RF can be turned down and made to fit the gun.
    Please explain.
    I have a Rem. No 6 with badly pitted barrel that shoots minute of pie plate at 50 yards that could use a new barrel and I have spare Ruger and Marlin .22lr barrels.

Although I don't think he has any barrels for a No. 6, you might check. www.rollingblockparts.com is your friend.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by tbx-4 View Post
    Please explain.
    I have a Rem. No 6 with badly pitted barrel that shoots minute of pie plate at 50 yards that could use a new barrel and I have spare Ruger and Marlin .22lr barrels.
    Since these guns aren't threaded barrels, any good machinist can turn down the barrels at the shank to fit a #6 Rolling Block IF the donor barrel is large enough at the chamber to be turned down. Then it just needs the cut for the takedown screw to fit into. It's often easier to face off the back to get headspace correct, and then rechamber it, than to try and reuse the existing chamber and get things perfect.
    I've also seen people use the existing barrel as a stub at the chamber end, and bore it out. Then turn down the donor to fit into the stub and press it in with Loctite to do the same thing. I once had a #6 with 3 barrels that a friend had built up. They were all .22 RF, but one was .22 Short, and two were .22LR. Each a different length and contour. He had the frame engraved and rust blued, and also each barrel had some engraving. Was a neat little 3 barrel set in a fitted case.

Boolit Buddy
    marlinman,
    Thank you for the explanation. I like the idea of using the old barrel as a stub. Looks like another winter project.

Boolit Master
    the project is done! i was able to find a replacement barrel on gun broker, and it's better than i expected! i may need to do something to improve headspace, but it shoots, and if the barrel condition is adequate, it'll probably shoot minute of squirrel! i'll see if i can get a picture posted.