RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Got my New Lee Breech Lock Pro Press

Boolit Master

Got my New Lee Breech Lock Pro Press

It arrived last week and I set it up a couple of days later, then started using it.

I decided to do some recapping of brass first, 1000 or so 45 auto case's, then I reset it for loading same and I've load a couple hundred of them.

So far I am really impressed with the new press and only have one or two very minor issue's with it, those being the box for catching loaded rounds, it should be deeper, have the end closed, and be slightly bigger and the breech lock die holders which hold the dies with the O rings so tightly you can't to let the dies go!

Very minor problems both as I said, the performance of the new press is out standing and I've had no issue's with it which is more than I can say for the old style Pro 1000 I have which is forever going to be used to decap brass only.

The new case feeder is also quite good and I've had ZERO problems with it as well. I suspect Lee has a new engineer or two that has joined the team!

Look like Lee has moved up the ladder with product design and I look forward to seeing other improvements, their bench priming tool is next on the list I hope!

HM

HeavyMetal thanks for the report and the positive comments. I'm still on the fence as to whether to buy the Pro4000 or the new Value Turret Press though Im leaning to the Pro.

Did you have the case feeder on your Pro1000 and if so how is it different from the new one on the Pro4000? Do you know if they are interchangeable?

Probably still going to be a couple months before I buy as the wife just had a knee replacement a couple weeks ago. So funds are limited ATM.

Boolit Master
    the case feeders are different and the Pro 1000 ones won't work on the new breech lock pro, i know I tried my Pro 1000 one on the breech lock.

Add to the fact that Lee discontinued all the old stuff when they introduced both the Breech Lock Pro and the redesigned Pro 1000.

I also have a Lee classic cast turret press and, while OK, you can use the Breech Lock Pro to load one at a time if you prefer, so I'd suggest you buy the the Breech Lock Pro before they get way pricey which I suspect will happen pretty quick as soon as Lee figures out their making press's they don't need, AKA the Pro 1000 and all the turret press, the Breech Lock Pro does everything the other press's do and better!

How much better? The Breech Lock Pro is the only press I've paid full retail for in over 35 years!

Now that's food for thought!

HM

Again thanks for the feedback. I have an old 3 hole turret press and the Pro1000 and do not plane on removing any of them as they both serve a useful purpose. Just as adding a four hole press will as I have one gun that will not reliably shoot handloads unless I finish them with a FCD. I really was hoping the new updated Pro1000 was going to be a four hole design. I do prime on mine and get along just fine with it. But then I know they are not building the new press just for me.

Boolit Master
    ya the redesigned Pro 1000 is still a thee station press OK for jacketed but not for lead, the redesign is from the shell carrier down and has a pin that aligns the shell plate ala the Breech Lock Pro, which means the old shell plates won't work on the new Pro 1000 without drilling holes for the pin.

OK if only have one need of one shell plate, not so OK if you seven plates and for some reason upgrade the lower end of your old Pro 1000, which will happen sooner or later. Hopefully they'll make a template to alter old shell plates to work on the new press.

At that time you'll have to decide: scrap it or pay for an upgrade. Hopefully Lee will offer the parts they aren't right now to soon I guess.

Curious to see what they'll do for those that have the old Pro 1000, some people have 4 or 5, think about that!

HM

From what I've found on Lee website the shell plate and carriers are interchangeable both ways but the Pin needs to be removed on the new press to use the old carrier and shell plates. Apparently the pin is just a press fit.

My belief is that Lee went with the Safety Prime system over the Pro1000 design to just make it easier to use for the greater number of people. Thinking that the Safety Prime will be a more reliable solution, less problematic. Only slightly slower.

Boolit Master
    The Safety Prime is indeed better than the priming system used on the Pro 1000, but is pretty slow and more suited to the turret or single stage press's.

The priming system is one of many reasons I have gone to priming off the press many years ago.

Add in tumbling wet with SS pins and I really do get to inspect the brass 4 or 5 times but also remove the chance of a problem with priming on the press PLUS speed up the loading process by not having to deal with a priming step in the loading.

This has helped not only with the Lee press's but also press's like the CH Auto Champion, A Mark 4 and Mark 5, two Dillon 450's, 4 Pro 1000's {now have one} a Lee Classic Cast turret to name just a few.

In all case's, you'll pardon the pun, the loading process is faster, granted I de cap without sizing, then wet tumble with SS pins, then prime in batch's of 500 minimum. That take's some time but my loaded ammo looks like it comes from Remington, or PMC or you name the maker!

For that bit of pride I when people realize it's not store bought ammo it's not a lot of work and reflects my workmanship. It may not mean something to a lot of people but it means something to me.

If you haven't tried it by all means do so, at least once, it maybe very interesting!

Give it some thought.

HM

I tried only a couple times after I received my FCD on the Pro1000. 1st I put the sizing/de-priming die in the press and filled the primer tray. Ran off 100 9mm and then set up the press with the powder drop in station 1, the seating die in station 2 and the FCD in station 3. As I was working these it just felt un-natural and awkward. Had a hard time adjusting to the rhythm. After doing that a couple times I pulled the dies and set it up the old way and then but the FCD in a single stage JR3 press. This seemed much faster and more natural. With the crimp die I could short stroke the ram just enough to clear the round and replace it.

A single 4 station press would be much more seamless with less wasted movement. Which is another reason I am leaning towards the Pro4000 many less strokes to do the same work and not so much because of the added speed..

Boolit Master
    ya know I tried the pretty much the same thing when I got my first Pro 1000, my difference was I used a Lee decaping die, which does not size, and used my Lee hand primer.

The sizer had the decaping pin removed so I could size without removing the good primer, this allowed normal function of sizer in station one, an Auto disk in station two, and a seating in station three.

It reloaded quick, since I didn't have to fight the priming system, but the down side was using the FCD die!

Just like you I used a single press, in this case a Lee Classic Cast, to run the FCD Die in, worked but added another step that Lee should have thought about when they designed the Pro 1000, and could have done so when they introduced the first 4 station turret press. After all they did was go to shell holder instead of a shell pate, to alter the Pro 1000 was add a 4 station turret, change the three station indexing rod the the 4 station rod and supply a 4 station shell plate!

It could have been easily been done and might easier now since the shell plates are just tiny bit larger in diameter on the Breech Lock press, again could maybe, use the 4 station indexing rod and the 4 station turret's. now some minor alterations may have to be made to the parts but I bet it Wouldn't take much but is it really worth it scene the redesign?

I have a Breech lock so don't need another project but hope I've planted seed's in other Pro 1000 user's!

Back on track it's wild to know that many of us really do think alike!

HM

HM, I know a couple other guys that I shoot with that are using a Pro1000 the way you describe. The way I tried it the first step of depriming, sizing and priming was pretty quick with the shell feeder. The second step kept messing with me with placing the bullet after the first station.

I see a seller on ebay offering the Breech Lock Pro for $126.00 with free shipping or a Best Offer. I might see if they will match Titan Reloading at $106.00

Boolit Master
    remember you'll need a shell plate, it doesn't come with one, and a Safety Prime as well.

It does come with the breech lock insert's but I find if you use the Lee dies with the O ring's the O rings seize the insert and really don't come apart!

Suggest you either take off the O ring first OR buy additional brick lock inserts at Titan as well.

Good luck with pricing.

HM

Just heard back from opticsplanet that was running the auction and was able to pick one up for $115.00 shipped. Shipping to be received by 9/6 - 9/14.

So now to decide if I will order just a 45acp shell plate or add a 9mm too. Right now the 9mm is running just fine on the Pro1000 as is the 380acp.

Boolit Master
    good deal!
    titan has shell plates for fifteen bucks plus shipping, if you can find them cheaper do it!
    Then tell me where.

HM

Received mine today though still waiting for the shell plate and Safety Prime from Midway USA. They had the 45acp shellplate on sale for $11.42..

So far I have it mounted on a temporary plate and have the dies in it, and the case feeder with tubes and collator on it.