Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationPBcastcoRepackboxWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Time for a new .38/.357 size die, I think

Boolit Master

Time for a new .38/.357 size die, I think

I cast/handloaded .357s for decades for a Ruger OM BH with a now 40-yo RCBS carbide sizer.

Now shooting S&Ws a lot, they seem to have tighter chambers. Even after renting a reamer and opening throats to .358, my cast boolit handloads are tough to chamber, even with boolits sized .357. This is Starline .38 spl brass.

Before having any chambers recut, I thought I’d try a new size die.

Who makes the tightest one?

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    My vote would go to Dillon.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings

Give Titan reloading a try...Lee makes and undersized sizing die for 38/357

I had to get one for reloading 32auto.

Hope this helps

John J

My RCBS pistol sizers tend to be 0.001” tighter than my other dies.

Boolit Bub
    I have to ask - where on the case is the brass difficult to chamber? (i.e. top of the brass where the bullet is seated, or base of brass closer to the case head?). And are you saying .357s load fine, but the 38s don’t? I realize these may be different firearms, but just inquiring.

I have a couple of newer production RCBS Carbide 38/357 die sets and I have no issue with clambering in either caliber, in both Rugers and Smiths.

Boolit Master
    If used in a variety of guns, but can see how such an issue would arise.
    I think thinning the face of the shell holder would help.
    One reason I very seldom make generic ammo for anything anymore. I know it can be a pita to keep seperate, but nothing like getting to the range and cases won't fit. I have three 357's and two 44's that are fickle about what the will digest.

Uh,one other thing on your carbide set. The carbide ring is in the die isn't it? Buddy had his original 38/357 RCBS dies, opened the box and the insert was just laying In the box.

Boolit Master
    I'm kind of confused... I don't understand how the size die is creating your issue. Even worn the size die takes the brass down to a minimum spec which should be well less than chamber dimensions. The expander step and bullet seating causes the brass to expand. The chambers for the Ruger may be overly generous whereas the S&W may be "standard". I would at least take some measurements compared to SAMMI spec to understand what the real issue is. Worst case I would try a Lee Factory Crimp Die to see if the dies carbide sizing ring makes a difference to bring the assembled case to a standard dimension. Wouldn't be the first time someone had to load differently for 2 different revolvers unless the S&W sized ammo performs adequately in the Ruger.

There is still more about this situation we don't know. Any resizing die will size cases that will fit in Smith and Wesson revolvers. I have reloaded for dozens of Smith revolvers in 38/357 and have used at least a half dozen different dies and they all worked.

I suspect some crud buildup due to shooting 38s in the 357 mag charge holes. Clean the charge holes real well and see if that solves the problem.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Is the cast bullet making the case swell after seating and crimping?

Try some jacketed bullets and take some measurements with a micrometer if you can.