RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: CHL Celebration

Boolit Bub

CHL Celebration

Picked up my concealed handgun license from the sheriff last week. Decided to cast some bullets to celebrate. Pulled out this old Lyman mold that I picked up a few years back and gave it a try. Next is lubing and sizing. Would Lee liquid alox and a Lee .358 sizing die be a good choice?

Thank you in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0596.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	226165

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations! I've had mine for a while and my Wife just got hers. I have mixed feelings about having to buy a license to do something that you have the right to do. But it gives you some creditability if you ever have an encounter with law enforcement.

Size your bullets to be a snug slip fit through the cylinder throats. I prefer a traditional lube in the groove but one to two coats of LLA may suffice.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Try them as-cast to start with. If they are a sorta snug fit in the throat of your chambers, a TL will probably suffice, as the bbl will size them perfectly. I have had very good luck with TL'ing low intensity cartridges, even 9mm's, with no problems.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Quote Originally Posted by patio View Post
    Picked up my concealed handgun license from the sheriff last week. Decided to cast some bullets to celebrate. Pulled out this old Lyman mold that I picked up a few years back and gave it a try. Next is lubing and sizing. Would Lee liquid alox and a Lee .358 sizing die be a good choice?

Thank you in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0596.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	226165
    A good start but consider coating instead. Nothing wrong with conventional lubes but the smoke is ridiculous & that is never good in a self def load.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Looks like a 358439. Great boolit but may hit a little high in a gun sighted for 158's. Keep us posted on how it does.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I tried BLL with soft alloy and never could get good results, lube just blows off. PC works great.
    Whatever!

I use LLA with 38 spl +P loads. I don't have any leading. I mix mine 60/40 with mineral spirits and put on two coats.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Looks like a 358439. Great boolit but may hit a little high in a gun sighted for 158's. Keep us posted on how it does.
    It looks to be a 358429 that has been hollow-pointed; hence the designation 358439? Bullets weigh about 158 gr as cast.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    A good start but consider coating instead. Nothing wrong with conventional lubes but the smoke is ridiculous & that is never good in a self def load.
    Have shot liquid alox over alox lubed bullets in a M1909 45 colt. Never noticed the smoke before but to be honest, I wasn't looking for smoke. I figure max shooting distance is about 15 ft. Past that there might be a problem justifying one's actions claiming self-defense.

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations - now practice, practice, and practice. You can do it cheaply since you cast!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!