MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Dillon 550 light system

Moderator Emeritus

Dillon 550 light system

I had two old Dillon 450's that I updated to 550's but at age 66 I was having problems seeing the powder in the shell so I went a huntin' and found a light system for the 450 and 550 called UFO's. The lights go along the frame and not the head and do a really good job. They are available on EBAY and are easy to install. I would encourage that you watch the video's a couple of times prior to mounting the systems.
    • I did have some minor problems with them sticking, even after doing what they suggested but a little rubber cement and they are stuck.
    • The light strip part that goes down the front of the frame needs to angle from right to left (as you face the press) or the wire detents on the plate will slightly touch the wire.
    • I do recommend this system because you cant believe how bright they are and they come with a lifetime warranty (This warranty does not mean as much to me at my age as it would say if I was 30 again!).
    • With one Dillon set up for Large Primers and the other set up for Small Primers I needed one whole set and one expansion kit.

When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Sounds interesting. Which video are you referring too?
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Boolit Master
    Cut a strip of aluminum tape to put on the inside of the frame for the LED strip to adhere to. Nothing else likes to stick very well to the wrinkle finish or textured paints like Dilllon uses. After you get the LED strip tacked down, a piece of clear packaging tape over the top of it works really well and sticks to the aluminum tape like the dickens! I of sorts use this same lighting setup. I say of sorts because I keep a roll of that LED strip lighting around for projects and thats all I used. Snip a piece to length, solder on leads and hook it to a 12V DC power supply. You can light anything on your bench off one power supply. I only ran light strip up the inside the frame as far up as the toolhead. This works just super, great lighting to help you see yet the press frame obscures the lighting so it wont blind you. Just make sure you clean the press really well where you intend to do this so you don't have adhesion issues. The aluminum tape is the way to go if you don't want adhesives on your press.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed