WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brining whole chicken before smoking in smoker

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I found the small pineapple juice cans the perfect fit for a game hen soo....... I mixed pineapple, soy sauce and a little cayenne, garlic and Johnnys salt together while saving the cans. Putting the bird in a gallon zip lock then pouring the juice about 1/4-1/3 back into the can left it with enough weight to balance a bird on. Straight up inderect heat [burners on on only one side of the gas grill. I am a heretic.] heating to about 425 for 45-50 minutes. I checked doneness at the thigh for flexibility before I got a thermometer. Pull it and make sure the marinade is no longer used as a dipping sauce as it had raw bird in it for 12+ hours. A dipping sauce can be made by reserving some of the marinade before the bird gets in and heating it to thicken slightly.
    Thanks for the details! I will be trying this soon!

Although,I will be doing it on a charcoal grill. LOL
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I thought the little Cornish game hens expensive. Well, changed my mind as I can hardly eat a whole one before I tire of it, usually a couple of days worth for one person. And, I darn sure can't eat a whole chicken any more.

JB, you want to see a cheap cool smoker, do a search on filing cabinet smoker.
    I have one with all the holes cut, but have not fired it up to cure the inside yet.
    Buddy made on to smoke fish. Just used a cheap electric hot plate and and old pan for wood chips.
    Unfortunate to not have many good fish for smoking around here. Though I have eaten some smoked blue gill and crappie filets years ago.
    Jeff
    I have seen some of those FIling cabinet smokers. I even have a filing cabinet in the basement. Just have not started any new project like that since I have enough smokers at the moment my missus tells me,(although some would say that is "heresy"), but I also have a large stainless commercial reefer that is sitting in my driveway that is awaiting cool weather to start converting it into a smoker. It will likely be my last project like that due to my health issues, but I will mention the filing cabinet to my sons if they want to try making one.

Thanks for mentioning it!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master
    LLoyd & MaryB mentioned fish, and I have always wet brined fish using a similar mixture like Lloyd mentioned. I add some other ingredients though, and have spent more time on trout & salmon ( oilier fish) than other types. I have done carp one time & I did not like the taste/texture, so have not repeated it. Catfish I usually fry, but I may try doing that some time...

I find that I like to pickle most fish if I do not fry them, but maybe I will make a separate topic sometime on my doins with that, unless I find another topic where it is covered here at CB forum. I would not be surprised to find that it has already been gone over a bit though.

Thanks to all who have shared! Makes the forum just that much better of a place for info!

Now, in a little while, I am gonna start defrosting that second yardbird for a brine, so my "supplier" & hunting/fishing/etc buddy of about 20+ years can get a taste of one "wet brined" & smoked as I did before, with a couple of changes I will add from your folks suggestions, of course.

Thanks again!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

What kind of time line would you expect for a 5 lb bone in turkey breasts? I'll be wet brining it. I had the opportunity to get some of these at a smokin' (no pun intended - well maybe) good price so I bought 6 and popped them in the freeze for later on.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; 09-12-2018 at 03:42 PM.
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    What kind of time line would you expect for a 5 lb bone in turkey breasts? I'll be wet brining it. I had the opportunity to get get some of these at a smokin' (no pun intended - well maybe) good price so I bought 6 and popped them in the freeze for later on.
    Between 2.5 and 3 hours running at about 235 first hour, 255 next hour and 265 remaining until internal temp gets to 165.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    What kind of time line would you expect for a 5 lb bone in turkey breasts? I'll be wet brining it. I had the opportunity to get get some of these at a smokin' (no pun intended - well maybe) good price so I bought 6 and popped them in the freeze for later on.
    To smoke um or to brine um? For smoking, see Camper's instruction. For brining, anything from five hours to overnight.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    To smoke um or to brine um? For smoking, see Camper's instruction. For brining, anything from five hours to overnight.
    I know about brining, I always brine my turkeys before frying them, they are so much better that way. Just hadn't smoked a turkey (or bone in breast) yet and didn't want to screw it up. Thanks for the answers, maybe going to do one this weekend.
    Ron
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master

I have a turkey sized 'beer can chicken' rack - place the turkey on this, add a can of something liquid under, and smoke for six hours - this on a wood fired smoker. This way I can smoke a turkey in half the normal time. It cooks both inside and out at the same time.
    Wayne the Shrink

Did my first smoked turkey breast today. 5-6 lb bone in breast, brined (1 cup salt and 1 cup light brown sugar, 1 gal water) for 12hrs (overnight), rinsed and let sit in frig from 11am until 2pm. Smoked (with apple wood) at 235 1st hr, 255, 2nd hr, then 265. Thermometer in at 5pm, read about 170 figured it was done. Pulled, covered and let rest for 1/2 hr. Sliced and had with mashed potatoes and creamed corn. Juicy, nice smoke flavor, wife loved it and I did too. Was really pleased with myself.

Next up, buy some birds when on sale and try my hand at doing a whole bird.

Thank you all for all the hints, tips, tricks. Now have another way to do it other than frying (but I really love the skin of a fried turkey )
    Ron
    NRA Benefactor

Looks good, sounds good, but sooooo much salt. Give me a nice whole bird, a little sage, some minced garlic, a couple sprinkles of lemon pepper and a plastic roasting bag and after a couple hours in the oven and you have a cardiologist approved meal.

There is actually not that much added salt in/on the meat. The salt and sugar are in a water solution and the breasts are soaked in it overnight. Then the solution is dumped and the breasts rinsed with plain water and let to dry for a bit before smoking. The brining allows the cells to open and absorb some of the solution which helps keep it moist. Brining poultry overnight is a common way to insure the meat isn't dry after smoking, frying or even roasting. There is less salt on the meat from brining than when people salt their meat at mealtime. With the brining, both my wife and I find that we do not have to add any additional salt because we get the great taste that was infused during the brining/seasoning. I did forget to add that I added seasonings under the skin of the breasts after brining before smoking (sage, rosemary, thyme and a few others).
    Ron
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master

As a result of Michael we lost power from 11:30 PM Fridayuntil, eventually, 4:30 PM Saturday. Since we didn't have power I lit a fire in the fire pit and planned on cooking on the coals. Put a couple pork chops thick cut in a salt brine with a touch of maple syrup and let them thaw all day. Did the rest of the dinner inside but those chops got cooked on the coals, no seasoning but the brine and the fire. Came out very well.
    Wayne the Shrink

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123