WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: 458 win mag tac powder

Boolit Master

458 win mag tac powder

Has anyone tried ramshot TAC in the 458 win mag? The only manual I have that lists it is the barnes and I was impressed with it's lack of muzzle flash and velocities produced without signs of pressure. It is unfortunate that I can't really afford to shoot 500 grain barns x bullets through this with regularity. Other bullets I have on hand are:

Woodleigh 400 gr
    Woodleigh 550 gr
    Hornady 500 DGX
    Barnes 500 TSX
    Lee 500 gr FP mold
    Lee 310 .452 (possible paper patch reduced loads)

As far as casting goes I have no issues with paper patching or powder coating. I'm not exactly new to reloading, I'm just not vastly experienced with these large rifles. IMR 3031 and 4064 has worked well in the past and there's loads abundant in manuals for that but the lack of pressure signs and low flash make me gravitate toward TAC. Testing can get expensive with these things and would like to hear your experiences. I'm loading for my Ruger #1 and probably later for my friends VZ24 mauser conversion. Much thanks.

Ebner

Boolit Master
    I wasn't trying to be lazy and have someone else do all my leg work, just didn't want to do what someone else has done before and repeat bad results. I started out with 66.0 of TAC behind a hornady 500 DGX. It shot as well at 50 yards as I can with buckhorns and I guesstimate the velocity around the 2000 FPS mark. Nothing associated with light charge, everything burned clean. CCI magnum primers looked a bit flat but nothing alarming, recoil was as expected. At least now I have a starting point and will do more work with a chronograph present. Thanks for any interest.

Ebner