RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Another Odd Case

Boolit Grand Master

Another Odd Case

As a brass rat, I find some odd stuff but this is a first. A 357 Sig, with a Sig head stamp, fired in a 40 S&W. I guess the extractor held it tight enough for the firing pin to strike the primer? They were shooting off of a bridge into the water so I doubt they even noticed the poor accuracy. One more case to add to my oddity shelf!

Boolit Master
    I've got a .300 Win Mag that looks like it was fired in a .300 Weatherby Mag. Got the double radius nicely formed.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Isn't the 357 sig just a 40 s&w with a bottleneck to hold the smaller round? I imagine the round kinda moved around a bit going down the pipe. :-O
    Well, in reality its a shortened 10mm auto case, and what is kinda strange is the sig is .23mm longer in case length and these all headspace on the case mouth. They may not have noticed the loss in accuracy, but must have felt the recoil difference. The sig is a higher pressure round than the 40.
    Last edited by MOA; 08-26-2018 at 10:11 AM.

The recoil of the .357 Sig fired in the .40 S&W would be anemic due to fleeting contact with the barrel. As far as the extractor holding the case for ignition? Yes it can. Witness the Astra 1921/400 firing several shorter 9mm cartridges and I've shot a m40 Glock 10mm reliably with .40 S&W.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Isn't the 357 sig just a 40 s&w with a bottleneck to hold the smaller round? I imagine the round kinda moved around a bit going down the pipe. :-O
    Well, in reality its a shortened 10mm auto case, and what is kinda strange is the sig is .23mm longer in case length and these all headspace on the case mouth. They may not have noticed the loss in accuracy, but must have felt the recoil difference. The sig is a higher pressure round than the 40.
    The .357 Sig case is slightly longer than a .40 S&W but shorter than a 10mm.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Bub
    On too many occasions, I have found 9mm fires in 40s. I can’t say I have ever found a .357Sig fires in one though!

This summer we found about 25 rounds of .380acp that appears to have been fired in a 9mm.
    Talk about funny looking brass!

My budy has fired a few sigs in his .40 glock a few times, Only because we were messing with different barrels and got one mag mixed up!

Boolit Master

At the range years ago when the .308 Winchester was a fairly new round, I found a case stamped with 308 markings but clearly had been fired in a rifle chambered with a 30-06 sized case. Can you say—-cylinder case. james

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, I have some 308 cases fired in '06 chambers. I also have the usual collection of Remington or Winchester belted magnum cases fired in Weatherby chambers. I save all of these oddities just to show others. I have a few 270's fired in '06 chambers. One can only guess they were fired in an action with controlled feed and the extractor was strong enough to hold the case tight agains the bolt face.