RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Remington 783 in 308

Boolit Master

Remington 783 in 308

Looking for any hands on experience with a 783, have a chance to buy one cheap and happen to be in the market for a “bargain “ first deer rifle for the baby we have coming in October. I know these are no frill box store type rifles but have read they are accurate, I was thinking an ice camo job and maybe shorten the barrel to 18 inches and thread it for a suppressor. How do you like yours? Would it be adequate for a northern MI deer and coyote rifle with hog hunts down south thrown in every year? How’s the trigger? And how do they do with cast?

Boolit Master
    Not a 783 but a 770 in 308 that was so cheap on sale that I couldn't pass it up. One assumption that I made while looking at it at the store was that I doubted Remington made special runs of cheap barrels but used the same machines for all the 700 series barrels which are all quite accurate. I figured the "cheapness" was in the action (including trigger), the factory scope, and the stock. That turned out to be right. That 770 was MOA or less out of the box with jacketed as well as with RNGC 160 cast. The action didn't feed well out of the magazine but the trigger was comfortable if not the greatest. I replaced the magazine and dumped the factory scope (which was horrible) that went with it and it is a fine shooter with cast out to 400 yards (easily minute of coyote). It has been a great test platform for all kinds of CB's and loads. My next series of tests this winter with it will be with 200 gr plain base Loverin style CB's at about 1300 fps.

I look at the 783 as an ugly remodel of the Marlin XS7 but It should work fine and shoot better. I even have no hate for the 770/710 rifles. I gave $150 for a 710 .270 that you had to work with meaning but it shot little groups for a .270. My great niece in Colorado kills elk with her .243 M770.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Thanks guys ; it should work for my intended purpose and if it’s a stinker why couldn’t I git it out and make it- I don’t know; a 338 Federal or some such anyhow the price is right!

Boolit Master
    Guys I see with them are 100% happy,even with the cheap scopes the stores stick on them....If you re under 40,then thick plastic trigger guards are beautiful,so whats not to like.

My 783 is nicely accurate, due in part to the very nice trigger. The "free" scope was good enough until I bought a Leupold for it; it deserved a good scope. I don't like the trigger guard molded into the stock; I broke one on a Savage, and had to buy a new stock to fix it. (The new stock was only $45 from the factory, and available in a week, so not a big problem, I guess.)
    The magazines work perfectly, something not all box magazines do. My first 2 rifles were Rem 788s, I still have one. The 783 was thought of as a new 788 by Remington, I read somewhere. The mags are available from Remington, about $40.
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman

Boolit Master

Well the deal is sealed ; I’ll get it on Saturday morning at the coon dog trails in Lima OH! If we have a boy or girl on October 1st they will have a fine deer and coyote rifle.

Boolit Master
    I used my 783 in .308 Win for quite a bit of pig hunting, etc. I only stopped using it for hunting when I got my .450 Bushmaster AR rifle. But it is still my backup though. I can't claim that it is a tack driver, but its accuracy is quite acceptable for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Well the deal is sealed ; I’ll get it on Saturday morning at the coon dog trails in Lima OH! If we have a boy or girl on October 1st they will have a fine deer and coyote rifle.
    Sounds like you have a boy or girl in the "oven". Big time congratulations!!! May you both have a long and happy life in the outdoors.