WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with lee 356-120-TC in shield 9mm and ruger 9mm carbine

Go bigger than 0.356". Probably the biggest issue with cast in 9mm is bullets are often too small. I run 0.357" in all my 9mm guns, 124-160gr. I never get tumbling or poor accuracy, coated or lubed. I know guys that run 0.358", but with mixed brass in some guns, you are going to get fit issues. Plus I shun TG for lead bullets, but I am probably in the minority there.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

I size to .357 for all my 9mm, works well in all the 9mm guns we have. YMMV

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mleon View Post
    Question: If the throat reamer is needed for cast bullets will it mess up the accurcacy of FMJ or JHP bullets? It sounds like a one or the other scenario.
    IMO, you have a lot more things to check and do before going the throated route. You are going to be disappointed if you do that and it is still leading after that. I can run my 9 shield sized .357 with no powder coating, with coal of 1.07 and all I get is a little wash that brushes out. Get it sized to .357 and make sure they are lubed well. Slower powders like Unique or BE-86 may help too if you have that.

Boolit Bub
    I know. Do you think HP38 or universal would work better than titegroup? I also have those.

Boolit Master

I like 231, same as HP38.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    I think we are all mostly on the same page in recommending .357+ but that all only matters if you can actually chamber it or "plink test" it that size. If you can only chamber .356 like my Canik TP9 SFX did then I dont see any real options but to throat ream that sucker. Recommendations I got was to seat short and try the Lee 356-120-TC but neither worked for me. It was like putting a band aid on a wound that requires several stitches. Once i was able to chamber .357 everything clicked and I was accurately shooting the same load as my P320 - 4.2gr of HP38 under .357 Lee 356-125-2R which from my understanding is a pretty popular target load used by many with great success.

Also if you are going to ream it I wouldnt recommend doing it yourself. I'm pretty handy with tools but if you read some of DougGuy's comments dealing with carbide reamers and correct size pilots in order to keep reamer alligned with the rest of the bore etc etc. For the cost of couple cigarette packs Doug here will ream it properly and crown it for you. Maybe if I was doing multiple barrels I would consider getting a reamer but right now I only needed one reamed so I let Doug do it right.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mleon View Post
    I know. Do you think HP38 or universal would work better than titegroup? I also have those.
    Titegroup burns very fast and very hot so its not exactly perfect powder for cast. HP38/W231 or unique are better choices. Slower burning powders work better with cast and fill case better so no double charges are possible. HP38/W231 doesnt burn completely in light loads and gets dirty but you will probably notice soot on your brass since at those lower pressures it doesnt seal brass properly neither. If you notice that just bump it up little bit. 4.0-4.2 of HP38/W231 works for many people here for a nice and soft target load under 125gr cast bullet. Unique, WSF, Power Pistol, HS6 and many others could also be used as well with good success in 9mm but I think you'll have better luck with slower powders over Titegroup.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you will try

Boolit Buddy
    Every 9mm barrel i get has throat re-cut before I use it. I havent noticed any adverse accuracy issues from it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12