RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: NOE Mold review

Boolit Bub

NOE Mold review

Not long ago, I asked for information on NOE molds. Didn't get a single negative comment. Took four days to get a mold and matching top punch. The mold arrived looking beautiful with clear instructions. It casts better every time I use it. Seems a bit fickle on filling out bullets at the start of a session. I think the small cavities and large amount of solid mold block may contribute to this. Or, I may need to juggle temp a bit.
    I have zero complaints, and I am picky about my equipment. I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions on my original post.

Boolit Master
    They are nice aren't they .

Boolit Bub
    They are!

Boolit Master

Congrats on the new mold. I have a couple of NOE molds, and they are nice to use. Good people to deal with too.

Boolit Master

you could try a hot plate to warm up the mold will start out with perfect bullets in a cast or two.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 brass NOE moulds and they do take a few pours to start dropping wrinkle free boolits.

What i have found is that a very light smoking with a butane lighter really helps. It doesn't take much, i just wave the lighter under each cavity half for 1-2 seconds. You can't even see the "smoke" but the difference is night and day.

I also put my moulds on a Hotplate while my pot is getting up to temp.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    A hot plate really changes the game. I can get keepers after the first or second pour, instead of having to drop 25-30 just to get the mold hot. And my setup isn't complicated.... it's just a hot plate with a gallon coffee can (metal) set over the top, to hold the heat in and make a crude "oven". I cut a slot in the side to fit over the mold handle so the can will sit flat over the hot plate. I really like my NOE molds and the hot plate makes them even more enjoyable since the mold and HP pins are ready to go when I am. Have fun!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The cast only thing wrong with NOE moulds I'd that I can't afford them all .....
    But when the lottery comes in look out !

I do have a fair collection of them , and they are very nice to work with . I would have to say they are among the few tools I have that consistently delivered worth beyond their cost .

I haven't had an Accurate yet .
    I have had a few of the old master's , Cramer and H&G for example and an LBT , Mountain , M-P and the NOE is as good as any of them for less money without being cheap . I sold the LBT 40 cal because the similar and same weight Lee made 3 times as many bullets per pour and the target and gun didn't know the difference . I paid the same for 2 cavity absolutely custom Mountain Molds that poured exactly what I wanted for the NOE 3 cavity that also poured what it was supposed to be or a version of a popular pistol bullet in a 5C that at least in my use so far is a good as the original .
    For value return quality per quantity they cast more bullets per $1 spent than M-P and in my example of one are better quality too ....... Example of one M-P though so probably not a good example .
    Turn around on group buys , CS , and the extra mile when there is really no call for it in the business or customer service part of the business model (hey maybe those 5 moulds that popped up in inventory a week after the 3 hits for a particular mould in the forums were misshelved in the warehouse and not a special run or piggy back) .

I found a cast iron kettle plate that just holds a #10 can and just covers the standard hotplate burner . Pure gold for preheat/reheat/hold for me . It is just about as good as I can imagine it getting .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub
    I set the mold on the top of the pot to preheat it. Usually takes a couple of fills to get it casting good bullets. No big deal for me.
    I already have my eye on a possible plain base mold for my Yugo 8mm Mauser.

In Remembrance
    NOE moulds are all I use now. I got rid of the old steel moulds some time ago and wont get any mass produced moulds ever again. The key quality issues I look for is how well the mould halves always line up, producing actually round boolits. I never got that using mass produced moulds in my life. Any moulds that are of a gas check design work better than anything before, never to small where you sound like a drunken sailor using the other moulds.

So in a nutshell those NOE moulds are all I'm planning on using.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    Just got my 4th NOE mould and am anxious to put it
    to work. Should solve my fussy 30-30 problem.

I also use the NOE push-thru sizer system with great results.

GRUMPA, posted above, has also provided me
    an excellent product !!

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I haven't had an Accurate yet .
    Make a reason to get one from Accurate. Top quality molds. Haven't hear anything bad about those molds. I have several Accurate's mold. Aluminium and one iron.

Boolit Grand Master
    I only own two NOE moulds, the first being a 314008 from a group buy many years ago. Aluminum 3 cavity blocks for plain base bullets that drop out at a perfect 125 grains w/ COWWS + a touch of tin... perfect for my 327 FM. They rank as just about awesome.

Then I decided I needed a 105 grain HP for my 32s, so I ordered a 2 cav brass mould for that, and WOW! They can only be described as jewelry or artwork... and the bullets are as near perfect as any I cast with the captive HP pins giving great performance.

I’ve got literally a couple of dozen moulds, some over a century old, but none do a better job. You could say I’m a NOE fan.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I only have one NOE mold in 40 cal 160gr RN. I was reluctant to get an aluminum mold but sure glad I did. this is one of the best molds I have now.

Right price point with right quality and in profiles, sizes, and weights that meet my reloading needs. I have no doubt Accurate or MP could provide me with excellent molds but between Lee for the common stuff and NOE for the special items or 4 cavity size I like I think I'm good for now. Also like the ability to get 1/2 the cavities plain base and 1/2 cut for gas check in one mold. Yes less productive in use but more options for same price in the mold.

The NOE expander plugs are a great addition to ones loading dies. Consistent neck tension and no shaved lead when seating bullet for a very reasonable price.

To be honest I don't know enough about mold designs to properly assess the relative merits of one mold profile/weight vs another so I go with what others report works and so far have been happy.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Chance View Post
    I set the mold on the top of the pot to preheat it. Usually takes a couple of fills to get it casting good bullets. No big deal for me.
    I already have my eye on a possible plain base mold for my Yugo 8mm Mauser.
    And NOE has 8mm and 32 molds on sale right now. How convenient.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/special...r6elrotvaorgu2
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    I now have 3 NOE moulds and many more Accurate Molds.

In terms of quality they are both superb and I can’t fault either of them.

I tend to favour Accurate molds because if it’s in the catalog you can order it and it will be made and delivered within a few weeks. If there’s something custom that you want, send Tom a diagram and he adds it to the catalog. I did 2 like that last week. It took less than 24 hrs for my designs to be added to the catalog after I sent them in.

With NOE you can only order what’s in stock. He has many designs that I want but all are nil stock so I have to wait until he runs them or there is a group buy. I’m very close to being in his $1000 club. If he switched from inventory sales to made-to-order I’d probably have double that or more.

I love NOE’s expander buttons and bushing type bullet sizer. I am slowly building up a range of sizes in both.

Boolit Bub
    I got an email from them about the sale yesterday and ordered a mold today.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Chance View Post
    I got an email from them about the sale yesterday and ordered a mold today.
    I gotta stop opening emails from NOE.....

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    I gotta stop opening emails from NOE.....
    I say that all the time, right AFTER I open it.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa