Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Correct current Lyman 17A for 03 Springfield w Lyman 48 rear

Boolit Bub

Correct current Lyman 17A for 03 Springfield w Lyman 48 rear

Looking for the correct model or "height" designation for the current production Lyman 17 globe front to replace the GI issue front blade assy on the 03 Springfield. The old references call out 17A XNA or XNB...but I can't find any current model that uses that terminology!

Boolit Master
    All of the Lyman 17 sights currently made have a 3/8 inch dovetail except for one with a metric dovetail that measures .360.You might keep an eye on ebay for a used sight.You could also modify one of the current production sights to fit the 03.It is possible that Numrich might have one as well.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

There are several new Lyman 17A XNAs for sale on ebay, etc. The one for the '03 replaces the issue front sight band (base) which must be removed for the new sight.

Attachment 226137

There is no front sight dovetail to "fit" on a M1903 or M1903A3 front sight base. The front sight is a blade that fits in a slot milled in the base. I modified an issue front sight band, dovetailed it and installed a new Lyman 17A silver soldering it in place. It is on my pseudo M1903A1 National Match Type II which I built.

Attachment 226139Attachment 226138
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    The 1903 front sight base has a dovetail.The 03A3 does not.I have a Redfield made aperture front sight for an 03.It fits in the dovetail of the 03 front sight base.I believe I bought it during the 70's to 80's time frame.Ebay is as mentioned above your best bet to find the sight.

Boolit Master
    Had a beautiful smith corona many years ago. Had it drilled and tapped for a lyman 48 and a lyman 17 xnb or xna anyway you took off the issue front sight and replaced it with the lyman. Never shot it with full power loads. Got the 300 meter load which was a 125 jacketed soft point and from 38 to 40 grains of 4895. That springfield shot like a match rifle. Course being about 30 at the time my eyes were in better shape. What you did to your springfield more or less mirrors what I did with mine. And being young and stupid traded it for something I couldn't live without and have no memory of what I traded it for. Those days are long gone. Do not do swaps. If it needs work to make it better so be it. I don't collect anymore. And could care less what the purists talk about it. Frank

Boolit Master

On my Match 03A3, I just filed the front sight base parallel with the outside of the barrel, filed the dovetail off of the Lyman 17A, and used Brownells Hi Force 44 solder to attach it. It has held rock solid for going on 20 years now. If Photobucket hadn't gone all weird I could post a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    There are several new Lyman 17A XNAs for sale on ebay, etc. The one for the '03 replaces the issue front sight band (base) which must be removed for the new sight.

Attachment 226137

There is no front sight dovetail to "fit" on a M1903 or M1903A3 front sight base. The front sight is a blade that fits in a slot milled in the base. I modified an issue front sight band, dovetailed it and installed a new Lyman 17A silver soldering it in place. It is on my pseudo M1903A1 National Match Type II which I built.

Attachment 226139Attachment 226138
    I like that a lot. Real nice. I have a Rem. 1903 with a 03a3 barrel and stock set. I know sounds weird but, I bought it like that. Shoots great though. I need to do something with the front sight like yours.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.