Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Colt Buntline, with 18" barrel. I think I want one!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.

45 Colt Buntline, with 18" barrel. I think I want one!

This just looks like a fun time on the range. I can imagine my groups tightening up quite a bit.
    Who has one and how do you like it?
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    If you get one call me. I have a bunch of moderate loads just waiting to be emptied....I gave my " Ruger only" loads to the ups man.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    I don't want to even think about trying to shoot such a weapon offhand, but I am thinking a stock would legal with that barrel length. I wonder if a Civil war cap and ball reproduction stock would fit.

Shoot downwind if you shoulder stock it and keep your weak hand behind the cylinder. Been there. Cap & Ball is even worse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Well, they do sell them with a shoulder stock, but I was thinking it'd be more fun just to prop the front end of the long sixgun on a fence post, tree limb or maybe a sandbag on the bench and shoot it that way.

Boolit Grand Master
    I love shooting handguns--any handguns. But for my purposes, a barrel any longer than the 7.5" tubes on my Ruger single-actions start getting awkward and front-heavy. I have fired a number of 10" T/C Contenders, and those balanced OK for me--the the Super 14 barrels were too much of a good thing. At some point it is time to set the sidearm aside and pick up a rifle. Where that point is in your own shooting activity is the business of each shooter individually. For my part, I call DONE at the 7.5" length. I have had several tempting offers on 8-3/8" S&W wheelguns over the years, and demurred each time. They ain't natcherul to me.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 08-27-2018 at 05:49 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    my brother has one of the Rifle stocked versions and it is fun. You'll not be throwing away your bolt guns, but for plinking and just shooting, it is amply accurate. just keep both hands back of the cylinder gap.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Such a weapon would definitely slow your draw.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the replies. I hope I didn't mislead anybody, but some of the replies look like I suggested I wanted to replace buying a rifle with one of these.
    I have a .45 rifle already, so I do not want the shoulder stock version. I just thought this would be fun on the range, with the front end propped up on something, and I am not going to try to freehand it or draw it and shoot. So I guess when/if I get one, I'll be the first to be able to share experiences with the pistol version of this.
    Happy shooting!

Not my cup of tea; but if it scratches an itch for you go forth with my blessing. Let us know how she shoots.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Beagle - I have been very pleasantly surprised at the accuracy I get out of my 7 1/2" Uberti Cattleman SAA in 45 Colt. I can understand your cravings for shooting one of the Buntlines as it would certainly be fun to see what you could do with it. Personally, I don' think I'd shoot one enough to justify the purchase but I have to admit, I have looked at the stocked version like you posted the image of. I have looked at the stock version as well as one of the
    Remington NMA carbines in percussion with the option of throwing a conversion cylinder in to it. Not on the top of my buck list but if one came along at a reasonable price . . . . well it might have to follow me home.

If you get a Buntline, I would sure like to hear how you like it! I can visualize myself sitting out in the woods, resting that barrel on a branch and doing some serious plinking. I don't think I'd strap on in anticipation of a gunfight and having to quick draw though . . . . .

I have both a colt 12” 45 blued/cc and a nickel new frontier 45 Ned buntline 45 12”. They are fun to shoot but do benefit with a rest for extended range sessions. The 16” or 18” versions benefit by being able to used a detachable should stock without falling into the NFA but seem too long to shoot comfortable without.

I shoot a lot of long barreled handguns as my main range is 200 yards so I have a 24” square plate that gets hung at 200 yards. We actually sight in on a 12-15” square/round plate at a 100 yards first and then use hold over for 200 yards. With that said, I still feel a 6” 357 is an all around gun and does fine at 200 yards. The 7 1/2” and 8” do better at 200 and exhibit better recoil control but on days that we don’t shoot 200 yards with a handgun, those long barrels stay home. The buntlines do well as well but not any better than the 7 1/2-8” guns. They are kind of a conversational piece. People see me shooting it at the range and think one needs a barrel that long to hit at 200 yards, in reality, one doesn’t.
    Last edited by smkummer; 08-28-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

It could be that the only time somebody would need one is if they are being attacked by the Bat Plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    It could be that the only time somebody would need one is if they are being attacked by the Bat Plane.

I thought of that one and the one Joe Piscopo had in Johnny Dangerously

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Working at Bell Helicopter fifty years ago aprox. The batcopter needed to be decomissioned and I was chosen to do the job by removing the wings and sending it on to the paint department. Some company bought it. Got home that night and told my young son that I had worked on Batman's helicopter and he had the hardest time figuring out how that could be possible. But the story spread quickly at school that his daddy had worked on the Batcopter. My dad owned a longbarreled 22 revolver as a young man. It was about a 10 inch barrel. And he was deadly with it.

Joe's gun was an 88 magnum "it shoots through schools"

Mike

Boolit Master

I had a 9.5" single six one time. I just couldn't get used to the balance. I wanted one from the time I was a kid. Bought it and traded it very quickly. I hope you enjoy yours................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy
    I've looked longingly at those in 357. They are interesting. They'd make a good tree stand gun.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Boolit Grand Master

I hadn't thought of that, mart, but I do believe you're right.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post

Don't forget the .32 S&W top break he shot Bruce Wayne with!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast