Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common problems with using wheel weights

Common problems with using wheel weights

Hi all. I contacted the local foundary i get lead from and they now want $8.74 a KG for bullet cast ally 92% lead, 2% tin and 6% antamony. So i am looking at a cheaper option of using wheel weights as i have been offered wheel weights for $.40 a KG

becouse i have never used wheel weights to cast with i wanted to find out if wheel weights where harder to cast with. Does there accurate be affected and if so by how much. Does the barrels get leading and if so would using high tec bullet coating or lower velocity fix the issue

And it would be helpfull if you guys had any other problem with using wheel weights that you want to pass on.

Thanks
    Paul

Smelt them separately to get all the dirt out. Use plenty of flux. Much ado about which fluxing material to use, check the 'stickies'. Mostly I say use a product that produces a charcoal and don't get your melt too **** hot.
    Once you have clean ingots, add 2% tin to them in the casting pot and if your mold is clean, your casting pot clean and your temperature good you'll have shootable bullets raining from your mold in no time.

If you're shooting black powder, all this goes out the window. Ask one of them fellers.

If this is Greek, then you've more reading to do.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 08-24-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Boolit Master
    Wheel weights plus 25 tin is all I have ever used. Flux the heck out of it to get rid of the dirt and crud them more junk you get rid of the better.Frank

Boolit Master

I use mostly wheel weights snd and range scraps. My guns dont care what thr bullet is made of as long as it is properly loaded and i pull the trigger right.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

iM using COWW exclusively ATM,and it provide good lead enough for mid power loads. i always flux 2 -3 times a 20 lbs pot to avoid contamination gremlins.

i also use hi tek as coating,and couldn't be happier than i am with the combo, no leading at all as long as my boolits are + 0.001 diameter in relation to my barrel diameter .

i cast with a lee 4-20 ,and again, the coww used isn't getting me any problems. for max powder charges, i add some superhard to my alloy,that,s pretty much it. i'm about to put a commercial start up together , will probably use 92-6-2 alloy for a more consistent product.but for my own use,i will use coww as long as COWW is available.

I don't know what country you are in but in USA I buy my lead from scrap yards in pounds It used to be as low as 60 cents per lb but now it's a $1 a pound that's $2,2 per Kg for the rest of the world. Last time I scored 130 lb of linotype other time I found 60 lb of hard lead shot which has antimony in it. I also bought lead wire and solder all at the same price as well as WW.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Do bullets made from wheel weights less accurate

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pkchwy View Post
    Do bullets made from wheel weights less accurate
    You'll need to try and see. Only your firearm can answer that.

Boolit Master
    The only thing that I get concerned about using ww is Zink contamination and that can be controlled by heat .

I think most people overthink bullet casting. I throw whatever I have around, wheel weights, range scrap etc, in the pot. Flux it with candle wax or bullet lube, the junk comes to the surface and I remove it with a teaspoon. My bullets are water dropped and look as good as the ones posted by other members and shoot great. I've been doing it the same way for over 50 years with great results.

Boolit Master
    Insure you remove the zinc WW's before you smelt. There's plenty of stickies and youtube videos that explain how to do that. The steel will take care of themselves. There's about 3% antimony in COWW's and adding 1-2% tin/pewter will give you great fillout in your mold. If your shooting lower pressure rounds then cut it with pure lead and you'll still get great fillout. Keep the casting temp around 700degF.

Your boolits will be at max dimension for the mold your casting with. It will all depend on whether that size is right for your gun.

Boolit Master
    Through my experience boolits with smiley face wrinkles generally come from a mold that is not up to casting temp , oil contamination , or a venting problem if the alloy is up to around 700 degrees . I try to cast just short of frosting but if that is what it takes to get good fill out so be it . Shoot them and cast more .

Moderator Emeritus

depending on where you are on the planet, Lead alloy WW are being phased out. 10 years ago, when I would acquire WW scrap, the WW were all lead alloy. since then there are more WW's in the mix that are steel or Zinc. I haven't bought any in that last 4 years, but others report that about 1/2 are lead alloy and the other half are steel or zinc.

So, be aware of what you are buying.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I cast almost all of my pistol bullets from wheel weight alloy. They are as accurate as any other alloy. I seldom have to add any tin to get them to fill out but 1 or 2% will help.

Learn how to sort to get the zinc and steel out. Clip on weights have a little tin and antimony while stick on weights are nearly 100% lead. Like the others said, smelt them into ingots in another pot besides your casting pot.

There are several stickies about wheel weights. How to sort them, how to smelt them, the alloy content, ect.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    +1 with gnostic do not over think your boolits.
    I have been casting for 30+ years.
    And the way I learned from the Lyman book
    and reading on line.
    Was smelt all of your WW lead in a cast iron pot.
    Use wax and saw dust to flux.
    Then get a steel stamp set and mark each batch.
    Then when you make a boolet and wait a week.
    Test them with whatever method you choose to see
    if you have the right B hardness for shooting your gun.
    Most of the time, you will be very close to #2 lead.
    this will work in 99.999 of your shooting. ( hand guns)
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Clip ww were once the holy grail std for bullet alloy. Pretty much just clean it up & cast with it. Works for all pistol bullets up to about 1250fps & some low pressure rifle like 45-70. They are fast going away though & much of the stuff across the pond or now in the USA is zinc, steel & plastics. If I could still get a good supply it is all I need for casting 95% of my bullet needs as is, adding nothing.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

WW's with enough tin to get at least 1% tin up to 2% tin is a very good bullet casting alloy. Tin is typically acquired as solder or pewter purchased from yard/garage/boot sales or from thrift and second hand stores for cheap prices. You don't need much tin 1 part pewter would do between 100 and 50 parts WW. Lead free solder is typically nearly 100% tin or close enough to use at same ratio.

Really an ideal alloy, soft enough to expand in lower power loads so it seats in the rifling of the barrel snug, yet hard enough to not smear at higher velocities/power loads. Good part of the point of casting is to make MORE accurate bullets buy casting in a size, weight, profile, and alloy that your firearm likes.

The flat square stick on WW's that are lead are a softer lead, worth keeping separate. You can use them to cut the harder clip on WW's if you need a softer alloy.

Muzzle loading & black powder are own thing but generally they need very soft plain lead to cast from.

PS forgot to mention what that 92/2/6 alloy is about. It is commonly called hardcast it is the same hardness as a common premium alloy Lyman #2 which is often used in cast bullet loading manuals as the bullet alloy cast for testing loads with a given mold. However Lyman #2 is 90/5/5 and that extra 3% tin is expensive so hardcast was developed for casting same hardness with less tin which made it less expensive. Aimed at the providing a lower cost alternative for the commercial caster.

Lot of debate about hardness vs. fit that doesn't belong here, suffice it to say a whole lot of bullets would gain nothing from using hard cast and would gain more from getting good fit, right load of a suitable powder. However for a whole lot of firearms the difference between the best load you can custom build and just cranking out some good quality plinking ammo is not all that large.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 08-30-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

In Remembrance

For quite a few years I am mixing up 50/50 alloy + tin for about all my calibers I`m shooting.Robert

I have been doing 5 lbs ww's to 1 lb linotype. 40+ years of casting that way.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    I think most people overthink bullet casting. I throw whatever I have around, wheel weights, range scrap etc, in the pot. Flux it with candle wax or bullet lube, the junk comes to the surface and I remove it with a teaspoon. My bullets are water dropped and look as good as the ones posted by other members and shoot great. I've been doing it the same way for over 50 years with great results.
    This is great advise. Casting boolits is WAY easy. After you use WW for a couple of times you will be an expert. TRIAL AND ERROR... Just melt them and try them. It something doesn't work ...learn the fix. Chances are you will do your first batch and then scratch your head and think, "what was I worried about, this works just fine". If you need harder alloy, check here on a regular basis for harder alloys being sold here on Swapping and Selling. You could mix some hard with WW and get an ideal alloy for what ever you want to cast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast