Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slugged my 1894 Marlin 45 Colt...Seemed wrong

Boolit Grand Master

I have used the "fill a case with lead" slug method several times. Soft alloy is nice, but not entirely necessary as I've used my WW alloy and range lead. I've also used oversize bullets (I have some 435" bullets I used for my 44 revolvers.). I like to have a slug .005"-.010" larger than groove diameter and a brass rod and standard 1" mics., and once is not enough, do at least three, and more is better...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I use .452 sized bullets I my JM 1894 45 Colt. Never measured because my first try with the bullet worked so great, accurate and no leading.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master

I have not seen the need to do this. I simply load some at a given dia and shoot them, up the size repeat when It shoots good I stop. I don't mean to be a smart ****, but bigger is almost always better with lead bullets. I have five 45 Colt marlins, twice that in handguns and all shoot .454 sized bullets best.

I know a revolver is a very different animal as it comes to proper bullet sizing. Cyl dims are a more critical measurement. But we are speaking about a rifle here correct?

There is zero danger or harm shooting a .454 lead bullet thru a .451 bore.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

I like to know as much about my guns as I can. So, I slug the barrels, slug/measure the cylinder throats and occasionally do chamber casts. I don't have to guess at anything or go through a trial and error test. I could size all my bullets as large as I can fit them in a chamber, but for my revolvers sizing via the cylinder throat makes my guns a bit more difficult to clean and "throat sizing" is not necessary. When I fire lead bullets much over throat diameter(.002"+) I get lead spray on the cylinder face and frame/top strap and forcing cone.

For my rifles shooting cast I like to keep the bullets close or just a bit larger (.001"-.002") than throat diameter. Also when slugging rifle barrels and measuring, I've found many guns to be different than what they are "supposed to be"...

If you don't care and just want your bullets to come out the end of the barrel intact leaving little lead behind, then just go with the biggest bullet you can find and hope for the best...
    Last edited by mdi; 08-27-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I like to know as much about my guns as I can. So, I slug the barrels, slug/measure the cylinder throats and occasionally do chamber casts. I don't have to guess at anything or go through a trial and error test. I could size all my bullets as large as I can fit them in a chamber, but for my revolvers sizing via the cylinder throat makes my guns a bit more difficult to clean and "throat sizing" is not necessary. When I fire lead bullets much over throat diameter(.002"+) I get lead spray on the cylinder face and frame/top strap and forcing cone.

For my rifles shooting cast I like to keep the bullets close or just a bit larger (.001"-.002") than throat diameter. Also when slugging rifle barrels and measuring, I've found many guns to be different than what they are "supposed to be"...

If you don't care and just want your bullets to come out the end of the barrel intact leaving little lead behind, then just go with the biggest bullet you can find and hope for the best...
    Knowledge is power. NO DOUBTS and I do not mean to suggest its wrong in any way. Knowing these things can be beneficial! Its just many times its more superfluous. While at the same time being NO LESS TRUE.

IE, I know cheap gas makes my GMC motor ping. But when high test is in it, it doesn't ping. SO, if I don't like the ping I spend more ka-ching.
    I don't really need to know the ins and outs of the internal combustion engine. Follow me?

Also I did specify speaking to rifles not hand guns esp revolvers as this is entirely a different scenario.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Knowledge is power. NO DOUBTS and I do not mean to suggest its wrong in any way. Knowing these things can be beneficial! Its just many times its more superfluous. While at the same time being NO LESS TRUE.

IE, I know cheap gas makes my GMC motor ping. But when high test is in it, it doesn't ping. SO, if I don't like the ping I spend more ka-ching.
    I don't really need to know the ins and outs of the internal combustion engine. Follow me?

Also I did specify speaking to rifles not hand guns esp revolvers as this is entirely a different scenario.

CW
    I’d probably just save money and fix the GMC. Unlikely GM made any production GMC vehicle that requires high test.

Boolit Master

This particular GMC hasn't been close to "production" in over 30 years. Runs just fine on proper fuel... Much like a 45 Colt with a properly sized bullet.

CW

This particular GMC hasn't been close to "production" in over 30 years. Runs just fine on proper fuel... Much like a 45 Colt with a properly sized bullet.

CW
    A 1988 anything GMC was not rated for 93 octane. So either you changed something making it require a slower burning fuel or something is wrong creating pinging with lower octane. Either way your theory is wrong.

Boolit Master

Its OK we don't agree here ya know.

Cheers brother.

CW

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I have used the "fill a case with lead" slug method several times. Soft alloy is nice, but not entirely necessary as I've used my WW alloy and range lead. I've also used oversize bullets (I have some 435" bullets I used for my 44 revolvers.). I like to have a slug .005"-.010" larger than groove diameter and a brass rod and standard 1" mics., and once is not enough, do at least three, and more is better...
    If you are knowingly using a mike soft (pure) alloy is necessary. Bi- and Tri- alloys all have spring back, and you don't know how much.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    +1 - JonB in Glencoe

Use a micrometer to measure, not digital or dial calipers

The mic is going to give you consistent pressure on your slug due to the way it works - you can;t give consistent pressure on an object with a set of calipers.

Don't get frustrated with it, you'll get it and you have already worked hard at it.

You said you measured some commercial boolits that you have and they measured .452. My first question would be, "so how do they shoot out of the rifle?". If they feed and shoot well, then I'd be looking at a mold to duplicate them.

Example: I have a 45 Colt SSA (revolver and not a rifle but still applies). It has generous chambers and throats and the bore measures at .452. I like to use the traditional 255 grain round nose flat point. I have shot commercial of the 452/454-190 Lyman/Ideal RNFP style out of it that were sized .452 and I have shot my own cast out of my 454-190 Ideal mold as dropped at .454. Both seem to shoot equally well out of the SAA. If you have the style and grain weight figured out that you want to shoot, a mold in .454 allows you to use an oversize boolit (if your rifle ends up slugging at .452 or .452) if your rifle chamber will allow it to. If not, then you can size it down to what you need - .452 if that is it or if your bore is .453, you can open up a Lee .452 push through sizer die by polishing it out to the dimension you need.

Just random thoughts . . . .

Boolit Grand Master

CW
    I understand. It's like when I asked my wife where the starter was in her car, "It's right here" as she pointed to the ignition lock on the side of the steering column. And some even say ignorance is bliss...

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Take you mic to the bait store and by a fishing weight of the right diameter with the hole in the middle...............

dondiego has the answer..........easy to use. Big enough surface area for a good measurement. Size 6 or 8, can't remember for sure. Have slugged many barrels using them.

Boolit Master
    Get the slugs from Lead Bullet Technologies. Well worth the money.

"Mdi.... at least three, and more is better..." How do you decide on which one? Or do you hope for all three to match? I will use your advice and not stop at one slug. I need to know more about the outcome actions. Is it a common thing for all the slugs to be the same? Good for the mention of spring-back of alloys.

Boolit Grand Master

Normally, when I slug a barrel with 3 or more slugs (and not necessarily all at the same time) the slugs will be very close, within .001" of each other. If I find one that looks like it got started crooked or felt a different "pressure" to force the slug through, I might discard that one. If I measured three slugs and two measured .431" and one measured .433" I'd figger something was off/askew for that slug and try another (.431" is 44 Magnum rifle groove diameter. I only have one 45 Colt revolver and the bbl slugs at .451" for two tries and may do more at anther time. I ave slugged many barres and have a "feeling" for a good slug and I use micrometers). If you run one slug through you'll have a good idea, but I prefer to get a better result with more slugs (lifelong machinist/mechanic with a light touch of OCD ).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12