Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45/70 brass, which to buy?

Boolit Master
    I seldom shoot .45-70 anymore, but have used Winchester brass for at least thirty years. I don't recall ever discarding a case because it was worn out. Seems to last forever with moderate cast loads. I don't anneal.

Boolit Bub
    I use Starline brass exclusively in my 45-70 and 45-90 with no issues,.

Boolit Master
    I had a buddy who loved shooting his stable of sharps rifles. Real dyed in the wool blackpowder shooter.He would only use Remington brass without the crimping cannelure. Said that many shooters felt that the ring was the cause of case necks going down range. I've used Remington without the crimp ring and Federal and have no problems and I use smokeless. I do not full length resize. I figure out the body section of the cast bullet and only size that amount rather than the whole case. Frank

Boolit Buddy

45-70 Brass

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Thanks for all the feed back guys, I have never ha any problems with neck's cracking, never annealed any brass either. I have a bunch of Rem/Win/Federal and a few Starline, seems I had read some issues with Starline having too thick a rims on a forum, now to bargain hunt for brass!
    Generally Starline is cheaper directly from the factory. Was searching for some .444 Marlin a few weeks ago and came upon a site https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/4723/Brass. They were about 8 cents a round cheaper and free shipping if your order is 100.00 or more. Just checked 45-70 and its 43.95/100 and Starline is 48.80/100 (122.00 for 250)but you have to buy 250 cases from them.
    Their shipping was very quick too.

I haven't bought any 45/70 brass for years. I still have a couple hundred new Win brass pre 2000.
    I have gotten a lot of 1x brass from factory ammo the last 3 years from guys who don't load. I have
    found Win to be the best, Federal second and Rem last. Don't have enough experience with the others to comment.

Boolit Master
    I'm a cheapskate whatever's the cheapest ,I don't shoot well enough to notice any difference.

Boolit Mold
    I neck size my new Starline brass, and load 45-70, it always goes into the case guage, and chambers without issue...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12